1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Celebrate Diwali?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by snehalJoshi, Nov 2, 2021.

1. snehalJoshi

snehalJoshi Silver IL'ite

Growing up, Diwali was always the most favorite festival for me. I used to look forward to celebrate Diwali. But now in the US, Diwali is bringing sadness because there is no celebration. Diwali day has become a sadder day than any other normal day because of high expectations and low outcome. I feel bad for my kids to not experience what we had experience when we were kids.

My simple Question is : How do you celebrate Diwali in the US? or How to make this a fun festival?

indubalram likes this.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I spend time with family
    U can group together with friends and celebrate
    Or go to temple or Indian association where they celebrate
    Or just that time of the year u can go to India for a week once in two years to show ur kid..

indubalram likes this.
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I understood your feelings and may be we can't celebrate it how we do in india but try our best to celebrate in our limits.
    Light diyas and candles around your home, especially in the doorways.
    Hang string lights to give bright look to your home.
    Make sweets ans snacks of you and your family choice.
    Wear your traditional attire.
    Do potlucks with friends/relatives.
    Get simple sparklers and light them.
    Distribute sweets to your neighbors and friends.
    Go to temple and participate in fireworks.
    Tell story of why we celebrate Diwali and you can even share your childhood Diwali memories to your children.
    Finally, have fun how you want to be and enjoy!
    Safe and Happy Diwali!:smile:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    NOW, nuss, SCA and 1 other person like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  5. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

But u know what in india too it’s becoming difficult to celebrate Diwali the way we used to. There are restrictions to burst crackers. So much of crowd everywhere. Those old days are gone. Looks like future is like celebrating festivals only virtual. Maybe do zoom video call all relatives and friends and celebrate. This COVID has really taught us how to do things virtually.

NOW and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I think you need to introspect what you miss about Diwali. It is not going to be the same as the Diwali of your childhood but you can bring the elements that you love and make your own traditions.

I love festivals and of course, Diwali is the big one. For me, Diwali is about spreading happiness and sharing our joy. This is what I do:

1. I start festivities on Dhanteras (2 days before Diwali) as we always did in India. On Dhanteras, my mom always bought a silver coin and I do the same. I buy either silver or gold coins depending on the budget that year. I take my kids with me and buy one for each of them.

2. On the day before Diwali (we call it choti Diwali or small Diwali), we put string lights inside and outside the house. My kids make Rangoli with chalk and we light five diyas at the doorstep. Sometimes I just use LED diyas because where we live it can be very windy.

3. On the actual day of Diwali, I make some simple mithai such as besan ladoo or burfi and an Indian meal (I usually don't cook so this is a treat for my family). We light diyas indoors and outdoors (weather permitting), LED lights, and string lights (It's an early Christmas as our neighbors call it). Kids go crazy with their diya art (paper diyas or painting simple clay diyas) and rangoli. At night, we read a book about Diwali or I tell them stories that i remember.

4. For sharing, I buy sweets (10-15 boxes) and give them to all Indian students that I know and one of my neighbors. She is American and has almost become a part of our family. I also add a decorated diya with the sweets for students (most are PhD/MS students from different departments).

5. On the weekend before/after Diwali, I have two parties at my home- one for our friends who are mostly non-Indians (different nationalities) and one for our lab members (both my husband's and mine). This is our fun time to introduce our friends/lab members to different Indian cuisines. This year we have two vegan friends so my menu is:
    Samosas, Noorani Vegetable kababs, Dal palak, naan, pulao, and my husband is making pumpkin coconut curry and falafel. For drinks, we are planning Moscow mule and Almond milk thandai and for dessert almond and cardamom cake.
    For our labs, we make things a bit more interesting for students- golgappas with different fillings-alcohol and non-alcohol, naan and kabab, Punjabi kadhi, rice, Kashmiri lamb pasanda, and chicken do pyaza are on the menu.

6. We love hosting and I like a decorated table. I like LED candles with flickering flames for centerpieces and a lot of string lights around the house and the table centerpiece. Bright colored napkins and Indian motif napkin rings, etc. Pier 1 imports, TJ Maxx, Willaims Sonoma, and World Market have a lot of Indian-inspired decorative items.

7. I buy sparklers and other fireworks during the 4th of July and save those for Diwali. That's the best part for the kids!

I also send money to India. My sister runs an NGO and she distributes mithai and warm clothes on our behalf.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021