1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do Working Mothers Teach Their Kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by bhavi855, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bhavi855

bhavi855 New IL'ite

Hi all
    I am a working mother ..I work in IT mostly reach home by 6:30 pm but nowadays getting late because of office work. My daughetd is in senior kg now and in ICSE school...
    I am hearing from lot of PPL whichever school you put parents have to sit and teach kids otherwise it is difficult...

I am worried now with my timings whether I will be able to support my daughter in studies...everyday an hour or two is impossible because after traffic and all I reach home it is close to her bed time by 9pm..I have a younger son also...

I don't want to lose focus on kids..coz I should not regret later that I did not spend enough time with kids and their studies..

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Who is taking care of them whenyou are at work, commute ?
    Don't leave your job. Pay extra to some person or school to take care of kids for afterschool programs/lessons.
    Have you talked to older girls at work about their kids ?
    Talk to a 10 year old of a colleague who never taught, or helped the child in her/his homework classwork. Does that child behave like s/he been raised by wolves (like Mowgli from the Jungle book) ?

3. Lakshmikishore

Lakshmikishore Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,

I am also working mother in IT and generally reach home by 7PM.I will try to put how I take care of my DS studies who is in 3rd Std now.

Phase 1 : KG to 1st Std:
    1.Home work
    Daily I used to check whether he completed his homework or not.DS used to do his homework in after school care.
    Never forced him to complete his homework if it is not done in after school care,I used to let him play

2.Exams/tests
    Never bothered much about his slip tests/periodic assessment marks/grades
    Paid attention only when he was getting less than 60% consistently.I made him practice during weekends. I hardly made him study/practice 3 or 4 times during an year

3.Project work
    I used to prioritize based on my office work.But we did complete some assignments.We never wanted him feel low without any creative work from DS's end.

Phase 2 : 2nd and 3rd Std:

1.Home work
    I will make him complete his homework if it is not done,In Parallel,I cook dinner and monitor him
    I will let him play after homework completion.His play time is never compromised
    7:15-7:45 -Homework time if not done else play time

2.Exams/tests
    For any next day test,I will make him read one more time/Ask DH to check on his readiness for test
    I pay attention on slip tests/periodic assessment marks/grades.I make him practice at home(either weekday or weekend mornings) when he is getting less marks(<70) in any of the subjects.(Not for more marks)
    Weekend mornings: I spend quality 2 hours with DS on following areas:
    • Entire week topics discussed in class
    • Repetition of low performing subjects(Hindi,Maths ) Ex: I make him understand for any difficulty he has in doing multiplications/divisions

3.Project work
    I complete his project work on priority and take help of my DH for all pre-requisites to make my work easy.

I had never spent long hours for study but I was among one in toppers of my class.so I want to bring out DS potential to grow than assessing him on 90-100% marks.Now a days DS is coming up with a plan of his own when he gets low marks than usual.
    I always connect with my DS class teacher once/twice in a month on his performance(studies and behavior)

BhumiBabe and Amulet like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmikishore likes this.
  5. bhavi855

bhavi855 New IL'ite

6. bhavi855

bhavi855 New IL'ite

I do not prefer tutions for kids from an early age...but yes I am going to try out more studies on weekends

Amulet likes this.