How do pregnant women cope

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by dubbi, Jun 22, 2011.

1. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

A big hello to all of you,

I am Deepa and I was a very active member in the Pregnancy forum as I am a birthing professional who lived in Chennai till Feb. I recently moved to Hemel Hempstead which is in Herts, Greater London. I was wondering how pregnant women from India manage here. Do you go to childbirth classes? If so How was the experience? Were you able to get all your doubts and fear cleared? Culturally so many issues are different!!!

How about your delivery and breastfeeding experience? Were you able to get a doula and breastfeeding help?

I am thinking of maybe setting up some pregnancy & breastfeeding support for women mainly the sub continent, so wanted to know any info or feedback.

Would also love to interact and get to know you guys here on a more personal basis and life in a foreign country!!! I am here bcoz my husband is doing a senior level MBA program in Ashridge Business School , Berkhamsted. I have 2 kids aged 9 and 7 who have started enjoying school here but still terribly miss their grandparents, friends and their school in Chennai.

Cheers
    Deepa

2. Wise

Wise New IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

Hope you are liking your stay here in the UK.

Pregnant women often attend the free antenatal classes run by the NHS midwives.The local GP or midwife gives information about the weekly free classes running in various parts of the borough.You have to book your place for these classes as they are quite in demand. You can attend the classes alone or with a partner.They cover a whole range of topics for a few weeks and range from nutrition, birthing options including home birth,pain relief options,breathing and pelvic floor techniques,first aid, breastfeeding, caring for your new born etc.They help you prepare your birth plan based on your preferences.The nurses really motivate you to try breastfeeding after your baby is born. The classes are very knowledgeable and help you prepare mentally.Moreover its a real opportunity to meet other women in the locality.The friendships often progress as you later attend mother and baby groups at the Sure Start Centres in the locality.

I dont know much about Hemel.There are Indian families in Watford,Harrow areas which are near Hemel.How are your children finding their new schools.They will have no problems with the curriculum.Please ensure you bully proof them so that they don't experience culture shock.

Regards

3. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

HI Wise

Thanks for your wise words! Kids have settled in well and the school has made a good effort to integrate them. They are enjoying the different activities and are happy. Bullying not yet but what kind of culture shock? Very recently they had India day as they were learning about a village in Tamilnadu called chembakolli and I taught the kids a dance for Bum bum bole and they were very excited an had real fun. I was simply amazed to see how thrilled they were with Indian dance, food, clothes and culture!

Thanks for the info on pregnancy and childbirth. I am probably going to be contacting NCT and maternity units around here to learn about the birthing community here.

I am on the look out to work meanwhile so contacting schools and birth centers.

Cheers
    Deepa