1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do men see women.....now and in future.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by adara, Feb 15, 2010.

1. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

I agree with GoodSense. Most Indian men want wives for food, clean house, family care and sex. However, lately I have noticed that things are changing. Of late, there has been an increase in men that think differently and allow their wives to keep their individuality to a certain extent at least.

2. sowmyar

sowmyar New IL'ite

GoodSense/Sofiz

Point taken! Although whether only men are to blame for the state of affairs leads back to the point about how the upbringing of girls/boys are so different - even in this so called Modern age.

GS, I totally agree that girls are all 'conditioned' early to be self-effacing and service-minded gentle souls, whereas boys are encouraged to bring out their personality and focus on building an independant future. Nothing wrong in teaching children to be 'both' is there! To me this gender conditioning is what eventually leads to diverse approches to life - men say 'I live like my dad did', while women learn to follow the footsteps of their moms.

So end of day, one can do little to change the already ingrained mindsets of adults - be it an elder, spouse or colleague.friend. As GS suggests the future holds the key. Teach your boys to be tough but teach girls to be tougher!

3. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Who is ultimately responsible for a child’s character? I think if parents bring up a child (boy or girl) with good values then they will be a good husband or wife it all depends on how they are raised. Unfortunately our society still views a boy child differently from a girl child and parents also bring up their kids with that notion and they turn out to be what they are today because of their upbringing.

Read this thread it has some reference to what we are discussing in this thread
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/relationship-with-in-laws/34358-are-you-willing-to-change.html

4. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

I feel the day female infanticide stops in India without any policing, we can say yes this society has changed & is giving due importance to a girl & women in general.
    If a woman cant see another woman any better then why to expect men to do it?

5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i agree that parents should teach about equality & other good qualities to kids but i have seem people adopting good values inspite of parents having taught contrary.
    for instance my inlaws always felt that a women's role in in kitchen & home only.my BIL follows it to the word.his wife has limited independence but my dh inspite of having raised in same family is totally liberal.
    i guess education helps but not the bookish one only.u learn from society & many people are open to adopt good values from other people also.
    in & whole the indian male is far behind in equality scenerio but the comeing generation i.e post globalisation generation is still better in some ways as they have seem more & more women in forefront & are hence more believers in equality.
    coming times will be much better for women be it wife or daughter.
    pragati

6. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Thanks to one and all for your responses. Let them keep coming!!

To some extent, I agree that upbringing has a role to play in shaping the minds of our men. But then what is education for??
    This is not to blow my trumpet about my dad but just to cite one example.
    My dad born in 1937. Brought up in a very orthodox family of 10 siblings in all. His grandma and grandpa lived with them. So, parents, grandparents and these 10 siblings. Dad is the eldest of all. All this plus very frequent guests/relatives always in the house for some or the other purpose. A purely agricultural family, it was.
    Dad was brought up to think in a male dominant way of doing things. I will not go into further details but my dad is totally different from his upbringing.
    He is a staunch believer in equality of both genders. Mom was given all the liberty and in fact dad's arguments for mom were taken as though mom's '(training and domination towards him)' words and not his. We sisters went to the best school in the town. Some relatives started saying what is the need for you to spend on girls so much now, you will have to get them married anyhow. Growing up we never had any jewelery or expensive stuff.
    Dad always used to tell us, "Your education is your jewels". We grew up taking our education seriously and never considered ourselves any less than our brother.
    Dad has been proven right!! I am so proud to be born as his daughter.

What I intend to say is though upbringing may have some effect but each individual is responsible for his thought process which can be shaped only if men educate themselves better. By education I do not mean degrees/diplomas or any professional qualifications. It is in raising the level of thinking and value.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  7. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Mahajanpragati and adara your DH might be exception. if we as a parent fail to teach our kids how to treat their spouse and leave it to fate or chance to teach our kids how to treat their spouse then it is a gambling. it is scientifically proved that kids will end up how they are based on their upbringing, take a look at this article Feral child

8. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

After a certain age I think your education should take up your major thought process. We cannot blame it entirely on upbringing.
    Then what good is their education????

In a household a dad can be uneducated, or less educated, again by education I mean the level of thinking. His way of thinking can be different and way of perceiving things can be outdated. And so the son is brought up accordingly. Now, the son even after getting better educated than dad, having lot of exposure to the world tries to follow the footsteps of the dad then is that right??? Can we blame all his negative behavior of parent's upbringing??
    They did what they thought was right or were taught but what happened to this son's brain???

9. priiya

priiya New IL'ite

Hi, interesting posts..felt like sharing my thoughts too :)

When i came abroad, i was so impressed with the women here.The way they take care of themselves, they are independent and they choose to take their rights.In India, atleast our generation we're lucky women are independent and our husbands are exposed to more independent women in their day to day life that they are evolving to give women the same status.But, on furthur analysis , i realised that indian culture itself potrays women as a possession of the man, i wouldn say lower but it potrays a completely different set of roles for men and women.So it takes time for both indian men and women to evolve to that equal status feeling.
    Today the world is changing and we are forced to take equal responsibilities and women have ventured out of the indian traditional potrayal.Men have really given a lot of space without which we wouldnt be where we are today.But when i just say that statement, i say "" men have given us..""" that itself is still wrong.Because it is our right to be where we want to be.So for that to happen, its still a long way ahead.
    Its upto us women to take our stand more forward slowly and justly!!The women of our future generations will thank us like how we thank the women who first ventured out just decades before.

10. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

As you sow so shall you reap. Haven’t you heard about the saying old habits die hard, it will take a long time to deprogram someone’s brain. Some learn it by themselves some are retrained by their wife and some learn by real life experiences and some may never change (with respect to indian men this is the group that is in the majority)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010