1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How do make Yogurt at home?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by uma321, Apr 4, 2010.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

We all know, In india almost all the families make their own yogurt at home. But here in US, whenever I tried to make yogurt at home, the end result turns out to be something else.

I would like to know if you have any other idea of making our own yogurt at home. I tried using different started curd, vessels and temperature. Nothing has worked out well till now.

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

I would like to know if you have any other idea of making our own yogurt at home. I tried using different started curd, vessels and temperature. Nothing has worked out well till now.[/QUOTE]
    uma,

hi uma,

first of all , is y'r place extremely cold? I stay in orange county, close to LA. Here, winters are horribly colder and summers are horribly hotter. So, if u're planning to make a starter culture do so in summer , that too from a live culture [ any yoghurt from market has live cultures }.

UU need 4- 6 tablespoons of this live culture. Thaw them until they reach room temperature . Now, add equal amt of milk , stir well and keep in a warm place. I normally, preheat my oven to 350 F [ 2 mins for gas ovens, 90 seconds for electric one ]. place the yoghurt - milk mixture inside for fermentation. Leave it for 12 hrs.

Now, check for desired consistency. If not achieved, again preheat as said above and u're sure to get good yoghurt. After u're happy with the results, gradually reduce the amt of live culture and increase the amt of milk. This is how i do. Hope u're clear.

3. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

uma,

hi uma,

first of all , is y'r place extremely cold? I stay in orange county, close to LA. Here, winters are horribly colder and summers are horribly hotter. So, if u're planning to make a starter culture do so in summer , that too from a live culture [ any yoghurt from market has live cultures }.

UU need 4- 6 tablespoons of this live culture. Thaw them until they reach room temperature . Now, add equal amt of milk , stir well and keep in a warm place. I normally, preheat my oven to 350 F [ 2 mins for gas ovens, 90 seconds for electric one ]. place the yoghurt - milk mixture inside for fermentation. Leave it for 12 hrs.

Now, check for desired consistency. If not achieved, again preheat as said above and u're sure to get good yoghurt. After u're happy with the results, gradually reduce the amt of live culture and increase the amt of milk. This is how i do. Hope u're clear.[/QUOTE]

Sabarimathi, Thanks so much for the process. I'll try the above method and let you know my result.

4. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

uma, all the best

5. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi Sabari,

I borrowed a small cup of curds from my friend, preheated(in steel vessel) the Vitamin D milk that we get in Meijer. Once it comes to luke warm temperature mixed the 2 spoons of curd. I place this under the electric stove and the curd gets ready by next day.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Pandu

6. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

7. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

pandu, pavarun,

hi ! thank u for y'r tips on yoghurt making. Pavarun, i quickly brushed thru' the link that u've posted. Will study it in detail when time permits.

8. IndraS

IndraS New IL'ite

Hi,
    I have seen yoghurt making machines that operates with electricity which works fine and useful in cold countries.You can enquire in your nearby shops and buy it.