1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How do Indian Women protect their hair in USA ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Kodavati, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Phoenix7

Phoenix7 New IL'ite

Hello bkinnary,

I am new to US and I am facing the same problem with hair fall and dry skin. I am planning to go by your suggestion on getting a Culligan Shower head. I just want to know if you are talking about the model below,
    http://www.culligan-store.com/product_detail.asp?T1=CUL WSH-C125
    Culligan Wall-mount filtered showerhead - CUL WSH-C125 ?

If so, then can you tell me if this comes along with the filter? (I mean if I get the shower head in the link above, do I need to separately get the filter?)

It would be helpful if you could let me know as I am losing hair like crazy. Thanks.

2. vibhaRam

vibhaRam Junior IL'ite

You might be right !
    we were wondering what's the reason behind itchy scalp,hair fall,face getting dark...phew...thanks
    I will look for the above said shower head, will soon replace it.

3. vibhaRam

vibhaRam Junior IL'ite

Yeah, I too was browsing for the same, I traced out that this could be the one.
    I mean both are same but different websites. I think we should go for it.
    The following is the link :
    Buy Culligan WSH-C125, Filter Showerhead Online at drugstore.com

4. adwitiasu

adwitiasu New IL'ite

Hi everyone ,

I moved to jersey city from India 4 months ago. I started having really bad hairfall after moving here and in 4 months I have literally lost more than half of my hair . I already had not so thick hair and now I can see my scalp in a pretty bad way. It is very very frustrating.tried chopping my hair to shoulder length, tried multi vitamin, vitamin D, viviscal hair growth medicines and also tried using the filtered water for shampoo. Still no help .I see hair everywhere on the floor. If I run my hands through my hair , a chunk of hair comes out. Please let me know if there is anyway I can stop this ☹️. Any suggestion is appreciated.

5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Since you just arrived, your body needs adjustment. It might grow back. Did you try biotin? Or hair skin and nails vitamin? Balanced diet is the key - you might hae heard it enough, but that is the truth. Track your food intake with an app. Check if you are eating enough veggies and protein. Veggies like Kale and spinach worked for me. Drink lots of water and do not skip this. Good sleep is also important. I noticed that working out at least 2-3 days a week helps a lot. Hair needs good blood circulation. One trick that I used to try is bend over like (padahasthasana) with all the hair down and keep the position for 3-4 mins before bed. I dont know if this works for everyone, but I think it worked for me when I wanted to grow my hair long. I have had good hair in my teens and 20s, I am in my 30s now, but I have reasonable hair and I am not noticing a lot of fall. I shampoo twice a week and use only gentle shampoos and always oil my hair before shampooing. I do use flat iron once a week. hope this helps.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  6. adwitiasu

adwitiasu New IL'ite

Thanks for your tips. This is definitely helpful. However I have always been a person who is in to daily exercise and super careful about healthy diet. I only had the hairfall issues after moving to USA..I kid you not the hairfall is depressing.☹️i have lost close to 50% of my hair and I can literally see my scalp . So this must be the water . Hence any tips on treating the water and using the right shampoo will be really helpful. ☹️☹️☹️☹️

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

1.Order some Amla online and have some everyday,its good for improving your immunity(much needed in these times),skin and hair health.
    2.Use a mild shampoo -such as Herbal Frothy Shampoo For Silky Soft Hair or try any of the sulfate and paraben free shampoos such as Khadi,Himalaya,Natures gate,Dr Bronner's castile liquid soap.You can also check this Natural Shampoos For Healthy And Beautiful Hair.
    3.Try mixing 4 spoons unrefined virgin coconut oil and 2 spoons lemon juice,apply to scalp,leave overnight and wash with a mild shampoo.Alternatively you can simply apply any luke warmed oil of your choice such extra virgin olive oil or almond oil or black sesame oil or virgin coconut oil,leave overnight,next day apply rice starch (preferably a day old) as a hair pack,leave for 20-30 mins and take head bath.This reduces hair fall and promotes thick hair growth.
    You can also look into Routine Hair Care for more home remedies.Follow any remedy based on the availability of ingredients.Eat nutritiously.Make sure to have a good digestion everyday,this controls hair fall.Exercise and walk everyday.Comb everyday.Make sure to comb for 2-3 mins before sleeping at night.Trim hair every now n then to avoid split ends and stay safe at home!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    adwitiasu likes this.
  8. adwitiasu

adwitiasu New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for taking out time to advise. I will try your suggestions . Lets see how it goes .

9. adwitiasu

adwitiasu New IL'ite

Hey, same with me :( . just wanted to know if the shower filter worked for you ?

10. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

If you use hot water for head bath then you will surely experience tremendous hair fall, dry and frizzy hair with split ends. The quality and the temperature of the water is important.I used a shower filter too, but I found this more useful.Only use cold or Luke warm water for head bath.Use chlorine free water for head bath, fill a bucket with water leave it undisturbed without covering it for 2- 3 days ,the chlorine evaporates by then,use it for head bath. Remember never to wash dry hair, always oil your scalp and hair a night before taking head bath.I got these tips from an expert and they work well.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Mistt and shravs3 like this.