1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

How do Indian Women protect their hair in USA ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Kodavati, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Kodavati

Kodavati Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I want to ask this question to all Indian Women who are in the USA.
    I came to this country in March 2007 after getting married.
    I have real long curly hair and it become really difficult when taking bath.
    I would really love to have tips on how to protect my hair.
    Hair Shampoo,and any other tips would be really helpful.

Harisha

2. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Even i had a long and thick hair when i came to US in 2005.

I tried different types of shampoos to make sure which one suits my hair well.

I ended up with DOVE.But it made my hair very dry.then i changed the brand to SUNSILK.Eventhough it makes the hair dry, I feel its mild.

But then i felt that its not the shampoo which makes my hair dry,Its the water.

I use to take regular oil bath(twice in a week,That too not possible during winer ),Apply mehanthi( I make it at home),Methi seeds(Soak methi over night,grind and apply ).

This is what i do regularly.But i lost a lot of hair..day by day its becoming like a rat tail :eek:mg:.

-Cathy

3. Kodavati

Kodavati Senior IL'ite

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for the good advice.
    Yeh even my hair is starting to fall off.
    I stopped oiling my hair too.
    Is there no problem with the tub getting stuck etc.. if we use menthulu ?? :?

Harisha

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

There is no escape from thinning hair here. My hair was thick and curly when I came to US but after 5 yrs. Its become frizzy and very thin. I tried different shampoos. In india i used to use Shikakai and Mehandi for my hair. Here it is not possible. Maybe that will help if used.

5. anilmanas

anilmanas New IL'ite

i am working on a project

6. bkinnary

bkinnary New IL'ite

The most common reason for HairFall is the chlorine content in the water. It is way too high. I had the same problem. Chlorine also causes dry skin. No matter what amount of moisturizer I applied, my skin would remain itchy. Hair was also like crazy. It way then that I shifted to chlorine filter. The brand I believe is Culligan. It is a shower head that has a filter. It costs arnd 30 bucks, but it is worth the money. There was a noticeable difference both for hair and skin. I had ordered it from Amazon. You can check the reviews there. Hope this helps you. Take care

7. minu

minu New IL'ite

I totally agree with u & thanks for the advice .I also use conditioner after shampoo.Use moisturizing shampoo like tea tree shapoo from Paul Mitchell.

8. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

hey Harisha

look for the best tips in the hair care and styles section....this is discussed in detail along with some good tips...

9. anvimom

anvimom Senior IL'ite

I have been here for the past 3 years . In the first year i have seen that my hair fall has increased and also it's become quiet rough. it's pretty much due to the change in water and the drastic climatic conditions. A healthy scalp is sceret for healthy hair. It's recommended to wash your hair twice a week even in the cold weather. A friend of mine has recomended to use Olive Oil and Oraganic Hair Mayonnise . It's a African Herbal product available at Walgreens or Walmart. after using this my hair fall has decreased and also my hair's texture also improved. I used the same product for my kid also. It's very effective on her also.

10. amoha

amoha New IL'ite

I am in USA since 2 years. I have cut my hair once every 2 months, to my shoulder length so maintenance is easy.

I do not wet my hair everyday, infact I use a shower cap while taking bath. But I do head bath with shampoo and conditioner once a week.

Also I take full body and head hot gingley oil bath once a month to reduce body heat. Once a month I give my hair egg white massage too.

I cut the ends of my hair once every 3 weeks to avoid split ends and also to ensure the hair grows strong.