1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how do i stop worrying abt my neighbors?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Aug 13, 2013.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have a distance with people.It is not that I am not friendly or anything.I hate to interfere and interference.

My community is pretty active.everyone greets and meets each other almost everyday.I am basically an introvert but when I meet people I am very nice to them.I attend most of their parties when I am called and invite them home for any occasions or parties if i have any.otherwise,i do not go to potlucks,sit and talk,gossip or call anyone.I mind my own business.

two of my neighbors tried to be too friendly with me .they constantly call me,come to my home etc etc. infact they even tried to send their kids to my home everyday for sometime!I mildly avoided everything.i just call them up once in a while and say hi.

they r pretty pissed of with me.they comment "if she wants something only she talks."I have never ever used anyone to my advantage.so i feel hurt.i a not too social.it is just not me.they want me to call and visit all the time.

my husband said"u know about urself. u know u do not take advantage.why bother abt their silly comments?"

how do i not worry?

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Each one of us is different. Maybe your DH is right...just ignore the people if you know yourself well.

It is okay to always say Hi to your neighbours and maintain a cordial relationship as one never knows in times of need, you may have to run to one of them for help or vice versa! If you know where to draw a line without being aloof then it will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Weren't you posting many threads asking how to make friends or threads about loneliness in America?

8 people like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

yeah i did but i prefer friends who r genuine and not use me to their advantage.maybe I am expecting too much..i don't know.i had bad experiences with ex neighbors and hence i do not want to be too close in the community.we have to meet each other anytime.once bitten twice shy.
    but as i said i think my expectations r too much probs..

5. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

u need to find ppl of same wavelength then. until then it is going to be a struggle to balance the ends.

6. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

Wow, you are exactly my type....i mean i have same preferences as you have.

I want to make friends but I dont want people who intrude too much. I am open to parties and occasional potlucks too, but if it get too much out of control like a potluck every weekend, calling everyday to chit chat and gossiping is definitely not my type. But may be it is very difficult to find people of my similar wavelength. It is usually like get it all or none.

4 people like this.
  7. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

hmm then dont make friends outside just stick to IL , iliets dont interfer unless they are asked to answer any of your queries, you can occasional have a meet up that too only if you like otherwise you can skip it, you also can free ride all the gossips(threads) without replying to any if you dont want to gossip.
    Now how do you like my idea [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you are different than the regular people around you, you are bound to run into problems. A talkative and friendly nature in a set of mostly reserved residents, or a mostly private nature in a group as social as yours - both will cause some social discomfort.

It is up to you how you want to deal with it. People take their cues from you. If you are comfortable and content with your level of interaction, they will accept it over time. In fact, it might work to your advantage - when you call or meet them, it is a special occasion and they recognize that. But, with growing children, you do need to socialize with other parents. This is for a short phase - till the time kids are 8 or 9 years old, when they start to manage their own friendships and you can just be hi-bye with parents of your kids' friends.

What is the difference between potlucks and parties? You seem to not go to one but go to the other. Is a party an event where only the host cooks? With young children and lack of maid servant help, potlucks are a necessity for a while as people want to meet frequently but cannot handle cooking for many.

2 people like this.