1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do i heal a wound in my breast

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by cathy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have a 3 months old baby boy.

He didnt latch preperly one day and it bit my terribly.Before i latch him properly it shaked his whole body and caught my nipples :(.

After couple of days i started getting a small pimple kind of a wound in my nipples.and the pain was tolerable while BF.i continued applying Lenonin cream.Airdried it.I continued BF'ing too.

But the pain became worse since yesterday and wound is also developing.It has a head spot too where i could see some pus.Extreme pain too.

I am going to call the doctor today.

Please how do i continue breastfeeding?One of my friends told me to stop feeding on that side until the wound heals.If so will the milk production reduce in that breast?Will i be able to continue BF once the wound is healed?

Please suggest me some ways to heal the wound quicly sothat i can resume back to breastfeeding.

I havent started giving him bottle yet.so i dont know if he can get enough milk from one breast until the wound heals.

Waiting for your valuable suggestions.

-Cathy.

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

If you are seeing pus, then calling the doctor is a very good idea. Also, applying some breastmilk on that area will be a good idea since it has anti-bacterial properties it will help healing faster. But do go see your doctor. I hope you feel better. Can you use a pump on that breast so it doesn't get engorged? Let us know what the doctor says.

Raj

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Cathy,

I hope you already got to see the doctor. I had a similar wound when my boy was a week old. The gyn prescribed an anti-bactieral cream that she said need not be removed before a feed. The wound disappeared in 2 days. Sorry i'm not able to recollect the name of the ointment. Just wanted to say don't worry. Don't feed from the painful breast (you don't want the pus cells to enter the baby) but make sure you squeeze out the milk (a warm water bag helps the process).

Latha

4. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Raj and Latha,

Thanks a lot for your reply.Since internet was down in my house,I couldnt check the messages.

Yup,I visited my doctor the same day i posted the query.She gave me antibiotics and asked me to feed/pump.I was told to apply the lenonin oinment.After my doctor visit i was directed to see a lactose consultant and she told me to nurse if possible.:(.

since the pain was extreme,i stopped feeding my boy for couple of days from the affected breast.and the pain is gone now and i am feeding again.

Latha,How is Ananya doing?

-Take care.
    Cathy

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Yaaaay!!! Good to hear that you are all healed up.

Raj

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

:cool2:, did the lactation consultant have any suggestions for you? Great things got sorted out quickly. Hugs