1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Handle This

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by stayblessed, Jan 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you and your daughter to be so kind and thoughtful about the other girl! Good people do exist in this world..God bless you and family!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2022
    stayblessed likes this.
  2. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

It really is a good thing that you took a quick action of addressing this to class teacher. You have informed, rest is in their hands it's their wish to carry on with it or leave it as such.
    But if you are feeling uncomfortable of future reveal of your attempt, have a conversation with your daughter that no matter what it shouldn't reach her friend through her. And never should decline if she is asked about.

Don't worry and it's very commendable that you are maintaining such good friendship with your dd

stayblessed and anika987 like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @stayblessed ,

Thank you for the update. So glad you could figure a way out to reach the counselor .
    It has been my experience that there may be unknown variables and as friends and teachers we can only do so much. Very proud of your dd and kudos to you for paying attention and helping a child through - problem or no problem. Hopefully everything works out for that girl too. Best wishes.

stayblessed and anika987 like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

You did the right thing @stayblessed

The class teacher will take it forward from there...

That was a good idea - that all students get counselled, and the girl gets identified if anything required... and your daughter doesn't get named.

Good that your daughter wants to continue her friendship...
    You are a very kind and responsible adult.
    All the best!

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@stayblessed
    Thank you for the update and you had chosen the best approach. I admire your daughter for her genuine friendship with that girl. I appreciate you for your support to your daughter and taking right step to handle this sensitive issue. I hope that girl overcome her trauma.

stayblessed and candidheart like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@stayblessed, glad you were able to take steps to move help closer to the girl while keeping your daughter fully in the loop.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    stayblessed, anika987 and candidheart like this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@stayblessed
    Thanks for the update. Very heartening to read esp. that you involved your daughter in the process, made her speak first to the CT and took it from there. You have done all you can and most importantly you have achieved both the objectives you had set for yourself which is to do something about this situation and fulfill the trust your dd reposed in you. I would call this a win.

Next what happens is not in your hands, nor can you dictate it. CT will do what she thinks is right or what is convenient or both.

For you guys next steps I would suggest is that you actively encourage and help your daughter make friends with other kids - public exam prep is a great time and excuse for asking doubts, sharing notes and discussion with other students. You should also reach out and make friends with other moms too. These friendships will help you in the coming two years.

As for the girl, my guess is she will stop talking to your daughter and avoid her. If she does confront, your daughter should not become defensive. She should reiterate that she is concerned about her only. The girl may continue to communicate blow by blow accounts of the continuing drama at home. This is where your daughter must be firm and avoid replying, though it will be hard to resist getting drawn in or feel responsible. (I think you also expect this and asking to see the texts etc is a good idea.) Just keep an eye and help her with this for next few weeks. No matter how pathetic or heart wrenching the communications your daughter should not respond in my opinion. And she should slowly decrease her time with her. This is best for all concerned.

Finally in this era where most parents are bemoaning their teenage kids it was really nice to read a positive story of open and transparent bonding between mom and daughter. Please continue on these lines. Best wishes!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    stayblessed, Thoughtful and anika987 like this.
  8. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

@stayblessed So glad that things worked out well. You have handled the situation really well, by going with the CT and through that to the counselor, all along keeping your daughter in sync and consent! Kudos for that:thumbup:
    Be assured that you have done the right thing which is in best interest of all. You have done your part to help! And good that you have not asked to cut the friendship but continue to monitor so you can guide your daughter.

Love to your daughter, she is such a sweet girl! and you are setting a good example to her as well!

stayblessed, Thoughtful and anika987 like this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is not feasible to delete your thread after receiving so many responses.
    I have instead locked it up so that there won't be any further discussion.

This discussion and all the thoughtful responses received will help someone in the same boat we may not know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.