1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Did U Achieve?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Needtobestrong, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

yesterday I was unable to get sleep so was checking social networking profiles of many of my friends , batch mates, seniors in college etc..was pleasantly surprised to see how many of them have done higher studies and professional certifications after marriage and kids also..
    One of my senior has done dental post grad (MDS) with 2 years baby..one more of my senior has done MS ophthalmology after having a baby, after Her baby completed 2 years..
    One relative has done M.tech after marriage..
    One relative has done MBA with school going kid..
    My relative, while staying in the US and managing her 1 year old baby on her own without help has prepared for an international certification in her field that helped her to get a job in a top organisation..
    Looking after a toddler is certainly not an easy job, those who can afford expensive help for childcare like full time nanny, and full time maid for domestic chores have it easier...
    Have any of u done higher studies or courses or certification after having a baby? Did u manage with or without paid domestic help, and how much help and support did u get from husband and other family members? How did u manage your time effectively to get study time?
    I have not put my query in working women or education forums as this is more from relationship perspective..I also want to do some course work and certification but I feel my husband is not supporting me as much as he should..also he is taking me for granted these days..we are in India, no help from parents or in laws who are living in different locations..
    With one year baby and an overwhelming heap of household chores to do, I'm confused how to achieve anything, I'm unable to clear any job interview and having few health issues so decided not to go for job right now..
    My husband doesn't adjust with simple dishes and very fussy about food..I try to prep veggies, atta, masala, pastes, cooked lentils etc previous day itself but he doesn't like it, he wants food to be made in certain way only..this is causing me stress..he himself gets tired due to work pressures and gets irritated if I ask extra help from him..he thinks I have lots of time on my hands and wasting it..even after doing some help for me he is giving me angry look though I always appreciate him even for some small help that he does. I feel bad, how is possible for me to do everything on my own..
    I have a maid for cleaning but she takes lot of leaves..whenever guests come ( he invites guests often without even checking with me) the work just piles up. in my area domestic helps are very expensive and extra help for childcare is out of question and not affordable right now..trying to find a cook but unable to find according to my requirement and timings or they don't know our kind of food preparation,or they charge very exorbitantly like 8000 Rs just for one time cooking...that's why I don't have help for cooking right now.. Though still searching .
    I want to do some courses by online or correspondence mode, but feeling anxious if I can manage it or not..though I have previous IT work exp. my confidence levels are too low.
    please tell me how I can study while also looking after my 1 yr baby and household work at same time?can anyone guide me.
    Atleast after 1-2 years I should be able to get some job, I m not getting any respect being a housewife.
    Only kind and relevant replies please.

2. Needtobestrong

What about time management?Any suggestions about that

3. Needtobestrong

4. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

I personally don't have experience in managing a toddler and studying. But let me suggest something.
    Start noting down what Time you wake up till the time you sleep, what have you done through out the day, like a time table. Do this for a week sincerely. Mark the tasks like urgent, important, can be negotiated, can wait etc.
    Calculate how you can save time by cutting out on some of these tasks. Eg, shop for veggies only once a week and provisions monthly. No running in between. Develop a daily routine that you stick to, no matter what.
    As for your dh's food preferences, let it take a back seat for now. Give him something healthy, preferably hot. You need not cook any fancy meals for him. Similarly, buy a couple of crushes / juice mix and stock some snacks in the pantry to serve unexpected guests. If your dh keeps calling people without consulting you, let him also order food from outside. Stick to the snacks and don't venture into the kitchen making elaborate meals for the guests. He will slowly understand.
    Keep searching for courses that will help you professionally, and slowly, once you fall into a pattern, you can enroll yourself.
    As for being confident, it is something which we develop over time. Talk to positive people, have friends, try going for short walks with your baby, get pampered at a parlour, and most importantly keep telling yourself that a confident mother helps raise a confident child.
    Finally ignore your dh if he throws a tantrum. Slowly he will learn to adjust and accommodate. The more you bend, the more he will try to dominate you.
    Take care

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Maybe your husband does not really have any idea how much work a child is from birth to 1 or 2 years. Maybe he does not really know that even making and serving coffee/snacks to 2-4 people is a lot of work.

1. For two weeks, keep a log of what you do in your waking hours. Down to each half hour. It will be illuminating for him and also you will see where time can be saved.
    2. At a calm time, ask him whether he can check with you before inviting guests. Keep the discussion brief. No nagging. No describing how much you do all day. Next time he invites guests without asking you or with short notice, or even after you say it is not a good time, let him do most of the hosting. This will take some time. Start with delay in making the tea/coffee.
    3. Make good healthy food. Husband not liking food can be a major stress factor. But if you want to make some time for yourself, you need to learn how to ignore or live with some drama around food. Be a little apologetic, a little contrite, but do not bend over backward to make food the way he wants. No one goes hungry due to not liking food served, not even a little child, leave alone an adult.

4. At a good time, talk with him about your hopes for your future. Again, no nagging, no complaining. No long discussion. It can happen over a few different days. See what he says. Take it from there. There might be some surprises. Maybe he is thinking you will stay home for the next 3-5 years.

sindmani, Star25, Sunburst and 2 others like this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

What would happen if you told the husband this is what is cooked and he can either eat it or go eat at Saravana / Anand or any other bhavan? I assume he would throw a fit couple of times and then open a bottle of pickle and eat what’s cooked by you.
    What happens if you decide to sit on the couch and chat with guests and not run around the kitchen being a good host? He might think twice before he invites guests over without asking you.
    You need to fix this first before you get back to your career. And get back you must , to improve your confidence , self esteem and hold your own in the marriage. Take care!

sindmani, Rihana, Sunburst and 7 others like this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Thanks ladies.
    I'm feeling little low as I'm being taken for granted always, I don't get to do what i want and what I'm comfortable with , so it leads to arguments.
    Will try to act on suggestions given..
    if anyone has suggestions for time management pls give ur input.

8. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

check out this video, I found this really insightful.

time management is not about cramming things to be done in a shorter time . Its about prioritizing and allocating time to the task you want to do most to achieve a certain goal, not what you need to do most. So if you are looking for people to give you solutions how to cook a 5 course fresh meal , take care of a baby, manage all housework , entertain guests and still find time to study , then you are going to burn out fast, super fast. What you need to do is a list of things and prioritize them . Your list would/should probably have number one your baby, number 2 your certification, number 3 your daily meals and chores and number 4 uninvited guests . So for e.g., time left over after baby care and you studies should be used for housework and cooking. That means you clean house and cook maybe once in 2 days instead of everyday , agree to entertain guests only once a week and so on.

thats the only way you can work on your goals. fast forward 4 years like this, your husband is not going to give you an award for cooking to his whims and fancies , your friends and colleagues would have progressed even more , you are going to be really bitter. Instead if you work really hard on your goals, in 4 years you will have finished some decent certifications and find yourself a decent good job. so start right away , you can do this without your husbands support, but you can't do this by being a doormat .

GoneGirl, sindmani, SunPa and 5 others like this.
  9. Zxcv

Zxcv Silver IL'ite

For some reason this cracked me up!! :tongueclosed:

Rihana, Sandycandy and Needtobestrong like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

If your husband is not happy with your cooking ask him to cook by himself or eat whatever is cooked .Tell him it’s soooo easyyyyy to comment about food but very difficult to prepare it.

You can also tell him why can’t we exchange our roles since SAH is so easy in a humorous way ;).

Strictly tell him if from now on if any guests are invited frequently you can’t cook and instead ask him to get from restaurants .

And regarding cooking please join OPOS support group in Facebook . It’s really helpful . Your kitchen time is indeed reduced . You can have some me time so tat you can prepare for your career .