1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How did a painful incident in your life transform you?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kavya007, Nov 16, 2008.

1. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

All of us dread going through painful and traumatic events in our life. They turn our lives upside down. We lose faith in ourself, in the people we love most and in God. We struggle to surmount our problems. But sometimes painful events can be a strong catalyst for positive change. Do you have a inspiring story to share? I have one.

I went through a tough time after my delivery. I had to grapple with a lot of health and marital issues. My marriage almost broke down. The dynamics of a lot of close relationships in my life changed for the worse. I have still not surmounted all my problems. But when I look back I feel it has completely transformed my life. I have embarked on a new journey that will go on for lifetimes.

Desperately wanting to find some rest and peace in my life I began to experiment with spirituality. I took a break in my career. I started attending a lot of yoga and meditation classes. I met a lot of inspiring teachers who despite their advanced age they were in peak physical and mental fitness. I learned a wonderful technique called called Sudarshan Kriya. As I practised it every day it made me understand how breath, body and mind are closely tied. Then I learned meditation and I was amazed on how it brought out and healed past impressions hidden in the deep recesses of my consciousness. These practices effortlessly slip me into a state of deep rest blowing away all the fatigue caused by the past 2 years of sleep deprivation. I also went on a meditation retreats. The experience was just awesome. It gave me a complete break from the real world. Good food, good rest. A deep cleansing experience.

The physical and mental health benefits are just a part of the story. My spiritual journey shattered a lot of the misconceptions I had in life. I realized that in life nothing happens by accident. We are all bound by the law of karma. We reap what we sow. Bad things don't happen to good people. We go through tough times in life to repay our karmic debts. Acceptance of such situations will give you a lot of peace in life. Easier said then done !!! I learned many more beautiful lessons. Though intellectually I can accept a lot of the teachings it is yet to become a fabric of my fundamental thought process.
    I will definitely continue moving in that direction until it becomes my nature.

This journey has enriched my life so much. It is the ultimate journey of life. God made me go through tough times to bring me closer to him. I am fortunate that my spouse is also a partner in this journey. Today our lifestyle and outlook to life has changed so much. Despite the tough times I thank god for the tough times.

Did a traumatic event in your life transform your life in a positive manner. Did it shake you up and change your fundamentals? Do share your story.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

sindmani likes this.

2. uns

uns New IL'ite

Wonderful Kavya, hope such success stories are inspiration to fellow ILs who are going thru their ups and down in life.

Like you , we too strongly believe in karma. Whatever happens is there in our life script...so we have to accept it. Whether you accept it willingly or unwillingly is not going to make a difference to the situation...so might as well accept it willingly so the impact on our mind is less and we are more at peace.

3. nilaa

nilaa Senior IL'ite

A very inspirational post Kavya. You are right,!Al though going through a traumatic experience we dread; such experiences teach us so much and when positively managed does take us to a better path. When my mother passed away i was thoroughly shattered, i thought i will never be able to cope up with the situation. After the 15th day i started to volunteer to help special people(The Banyan) , On seeing them i really understood that how God has been very kind to me all along and so many people out there need our help.
    Helping the less fortunate ones during our suffering makes us feel better.
    thanks for this post,
    warm regards,
    Nilaa

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kavya

Your post is an inspiration to others. Good to know that you were
    able to come out of the problems by doing yoga and meditation.

I had hip bone fracture in 1991 and i was in bed for 2 months.
    I was asked not to move. While I as was in bed used to write
    Sri Rama Jayam everyday and read religious books.

With the grace of God and elders blessings I had to undergo another
    operation and after physiotherapy I was able to walk. But after
    some years again the problem started and I used to have pain.
    I was a working lady. I did not leave my job and again in 1999 I
    was replaced with hip joint . Then I was alright.

Though I cant sit down or do namaskar I am able to do my duties.

viji

5. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for chiming in. But I really wonder why there are not many responses. Maybe my post was the same old sob story :hide: Painful incidents can be powerful catalysts that transform our lives in many ways. Step up and share how a challenging situation in your life dramatically changed your attitude and perspective to life.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

6. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

hi ilites,
    As you can see from the id i am using , i started losing hearing after my son is born.I tried all the alterrnative therapies as allopathy cannot cure my illness.I lost hearing completely when i started ayurvedic treatment .Its like one day i had partial hearing and the next day its total silence.Adding to that i have a 2 yr old son to look after and troublesome in laws.My DH was supportive but couldn't understand the trauma i am facing due to this.I shunned social life and dedicated myself bringing up my child .My DH wanted me to mingle with others ,when i tried to please him by attending functions people started behaving as though i din't exist which depressed me further.It all happened when i was 28years old.I read an article about a deaf person in a newsmagazie and started chatting on the net which transformed me a lot.It made me feel like a normal person.Having friends on the net without them looking down on me made me feel better about myself too.Then i got involved in my DH's business by doing accounting work ,learnt lip reading . When people commend my DH how lucky he is to have a helping wife in his business i feel worthy of living life now.hope i haven't bored you all with my sob story here
    Dw:)

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

First of all welcome to IL. This seems to be your first post. I feel
    sorry tohear about your story. But dont lose hopes pray to God
    He will be with u. You have a child u have to bring him up. So be
    courageous. Here in IL u can find manyfriends who are very loving.
    You are helping your husband in business na thats a great thing
    you are doing.

Where there is faith, there is love
    Where there is love, there is peace
    Where there is peace, there isGod
    and where there is God, there is no need

So cheer up. All the best to u. May God bless u and get back your
    hearing. I will also prayfor u.

with love adn blessings

viji

8. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear Iyerviji,
    Thanks for your wishes.Now my son finished his PG and will be joining a co coming january.My recovery took almost two decades .What i feel is if we want to better ourselves its in our hands .People who ignored me din't know how to behave with me as they too found it difficult to communicate without hurting my feelings. But my ego took a bruise when i was ignored .Its nobody's fault but my own inferiority complex which made me suffer.
    DW

9. geetabhaskar

geetabhaskar Senior IL'ite

Hello Kavya,

Your post is is very good. I agree with you about whatever experiences we go through in life does not happen by accident. There is a karmic connection to it. Have you read Sri Sai Sat Charitra ? If you have then you will know that it is mentioned therein too about karma. In some way or other we have to reap the fruits of our past actions.

You are strengthening our faith in life through you post. Keep writing more.

With love

Geeta Bhaskar

10. geetabhaskar

geetabhaskar Senior IL'ite

Hello dear,

Your should rather change your ID as Bravewoman, not Deafwoman. After going through
    all those experiences in life you deserve to name yourself as Bravewoman.