How are NIIT courses in India?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Nithya001, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

I am moving back to India and would like to take up some IT related courses. We are relocating to Bangalore. Since my husband might get a chance to come back to US after a few years I want to do some career oriented skilled course which can get me a job both in India and US. I could not do any studies in US because of the high costs here, only did some basic computer classes at community college.

many people are saying that a 24 month course from NIIT will be beneficial for me. It costs around 1.5 lacs in India which I find reasonable if it can land me a job later.

I have some doubts though:

1. When I was in India some years back it was a much south after institute is it still so?

2. is there something like placements after doing courses from there?

3. Since many of my fellow students would be some years younger than me and perhaps fresh degree graduates will it decrease my chances of landing a job?

4. Which is the best course in NIIT?

Thanks

2. shivaVP

shivaVP New IL'ite

HI Nithya,

When I was in India, I was doing a ANIIT course (Software Engineering) from NIIT. Although I wasn't able to complete my course, since I came here, but once I go back I will complete it, I am left with only last sem (there were 4 sems.)

I personally feel that, NIIT's course curriculum is very nice and as per industry requirements, but there are a few important things, if you want to get most of it. Firstly it should be good place, as you mentioned, you are moving to Banglore, I expect NIIT must be having a good institute there and also a good faculty. Secondly, the course that I was doing had only classes 3 days a week so I had enough time to practice. Now doing practicals is the most important thing, if you don't practice right at the time when you have your practical sessions and are not following with the class, you might loose a lot, because initially, the course might seem simple, but as days passes, it becomes vast.

As far as job is concerned, I think in India, you should not get any problem, but if you plan to come to USA right after doing the course and expects a job here, then nobody recognises NIIT here. So you might better get some, experience and then try here. NIIT do have a placement cell, which will help you getting job but no guarantee.

Regarding, your fellow students, so don't worry about it, NIIT is not restricted to some particular age group, so you might have students there of your age also. Studying with a younger group has some pros and cons too, pros - they will definitely have more IT knowledge than we have and cons - they might not be as serious as you are in studies.

Lastly, NIIT has many courses, depending on your interest like Database, or Software or mobile applications, you can choose whatever suits you.

One more suggestion, while doing NIIT do appear for some certifications, courses like JAVA or MICROSOFT, which will be related to your NIIT course. Also try and get some information about ADOBE courses, it has got good scope too.

I have told you whatever I knew, so best of luck, and do let me know which course you decide to join.

3. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much Shiva, your reply is so encouraging. Can you tell me more about ANIIT, I checked the NIIT website and realized that ANIIT is for Engineers, is that right?

I am not an engineer, neither from IT background, but I have been doing some self-learning, I have attended some basic classes for Java.

I am looking for some 2 year program to get my foot into the IT sector door.

Can you tell me more about the Database and mobile applications course in NIIT. In case I do a database course what certification should I look at?

It would be very helpful if you can recommend some database course at NIIT.

I did some introductory N+ classes here in my community college, and liked it very much. Though I understood that a good knowledge of telecommunications is important for networking career, still is there any career oriented course that a non-it, non-engineer can do to get into computer networking field? Does NIIT have any such courses and what would be the scope in it? Please let me know if you know more about this.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. shivaVP

shivaVP New IL'ite

Hi Nithya,

ANIIT is quite similar to GNIIT, the only diff is GNIIT's duration is 3 years which includes 1 yr internship or project which is provided by NIIT whereas ANIIT's duration is 2 yrs and doesn't includes internship or project, i know this becoz I use to study with GNIIT students and we both had similar course.

Secondly, I am also not from IT background, except for I had done MS Office course, and of course not a Engineer so ANIIT is not restricted to Engineering. But i don't know if NIIT has changed its policies because I enrolled for this course in 2008. And NIIT is very much industry oriented and keeps on updating its curriculum and courses, so you will have to check.

Regarding JAVA, so in ANIIT, in the 3rd sem, we do get an option to choose between JAVA or .NET or Database or Mobile Application specialization.

NIIT do have lot of courses for non-IT or non-Engineer people. You will have to search more on this on net or best if you can call the NIIT banglore and ask them or if you have some friends or anybody ask them to buy the prospectus for NIIT.

Meanwhile why don't you try w3schools it will be very helpful for you, just start with basics like HTML.

About Database courses I dont have much idea.

Hope this will help you. :thumbsup