1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Household Chores Division

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Meghaa, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

:rage::tired::nono::smash2:
    I am soo mad . Cant put thoughts into words right now.

Even if you have a full time job and contribute equally $$$ wise, it feels like household stuff is still primarily your responsibitliy and anythign the husband does is 'helping' you ?? WTH....

BeingSoulful and bravo1809 like this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

citing the same reason u contribute less amount to household expenses till he equally wworks at house chores.

3. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

we actually have transparent $$$ , its a common pool. we both control and agree upon. I just meant to say , I have a full time job too!
    But its hard to agree upon house hold chores....
    Him taking care of car maintenace etc or some furniture assembly (which granted , I cannot) doesnt equal every day (some few times a day) chores like cooking and grocery!
    I dont think an exact division of you cook 3.5 days and i do 3.5 is meaningful.
    But I resent the fact that somehow , it always feels like primarily my responsibility!

GoneGirl and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Smartly delegate the macho chores like getting grocery, loading/unloading dishwasher to husband. I can understand the frustration though. It is just so never ending loop!

Meghaa likes this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Spend money from common pool to hire help for house chores .... Saying you are too tried to do after a day of working just like him.
    the can never be equal distribution of work , some more some less.

Assign all the outside work, carpet cleaning , taking kids to play area etc to husbandnif it helps.

If cooking is boring , eat out for lunch and one or two days take out the dinner ...

Bringing molar into the house should give you resources to splurge...

6. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

I do have monthly cleaning service - this was the primary reason, I hired them.
    We said , I do the cooking and he does the dishes. but obviously not sticking to it is not a punishable crime in the household.
    I do the dishes some days - when I am in the kitchen waiting for the occasional stirring etc ( because , I would completey forget about it , If I left the kitchen) or if he gets late at work.
    On Fridays , when he is supposed to cook , most of the times , lets just say other plans happen! I dont complain .
    But reviewing 2016 expenses, it has been established that we spend more than reasonable $$ on eating out.
    But really , its not just upto me to fix that!

7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

See, I am like our 'Indain Maids' - 50% on leave! Cannot be sincere to the core, take time off. It is nothing but training the family.

8. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Exactly , its the training part I seem to be struggling with.
    I cut slack with his chores ( for whatever reason) , I dont get the same courtesy extended - when I slack off ( with good reason)
    Or I dont know if I am being sensitive.. But I do not like , being asked , 'what do I eat ?' or a casual ' no lunch for tomorrow for me'

And this from a guy who has the label of 'helpful husband' Because , really if he knows where the kitchen is and has ever touched some utensils around, then he is the BEST

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

In general , I love the confidence most men have. Even Sheryl Sandberg mentioned it in a TED talk.
    Whatever they do , they think they are the best and doing amazing.
    While we women always tend to question if we are doing enough , good enough..
    Can we ever retrain ourselves or will it be a slow change over generations?

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think you are being sensitive, and your next post (above this) answered your question too. When we were in the "household chores division" mattered phase, I was even sensitive to how DH opened the fridge door, looked inside poking his head much farther than needed, and took out all the boxes and laid them on the counter one by one, and then looked at them with a certain expression of "now this is all what we have, how to make this into a meal for 4" : ) I used to go nuts with the whole process and once threatened to shut the fridge door with his head stuck inside.

And just yesterday I told him the angle of his elbows and the line of the shoulders as he put used plates near the sink, shows he is silently thinking why the sink is so full : )

ghar ghar ki kahani. : )

BeingSoulful, coffeecups and Vennella like this.