1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Household Chores And Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Has anyone lost weight due to household chores like cooking, cleaning etc?
    Due to Covid situation it has become necessary to do all chores without domestic helps in India ...no choice here..was thinking whether I can utilize this to lose weight...
    Due to previous back pain and other issues I’m cautious about not doing strenuous workouts, as it’s becoming risky to even step out for routine medical stuff....
    I did only short distance walking close to home for a few days which is again restricted due to curfews and not so effective...
    Anyways We have stopped ordering outside food as it’s not safe right now...I eat healthy home cooked food ...mostly simple food and special dishes only maybe once a week...very less junk food..no processed food,.maybe a couple of biscuits...occasional snacking ...fried snacks very rare..cut off sugar from coffee and tea long ago..
    One of my known neighbours has never had a maid, she is so slim and active, she has a daughter who is in twenties which mean she she is in late forties or early fifties, but she doesn’t look more than 40 years old due to slim figure..was inspired by her...
    Please share your food and exercise routine if anyone managed to lose weight purely by doing household chores and healthy foods habits,..it would be encouraging for me..I will be happy even if I lose 3 to 4 kgs..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

I find dusting furniture a very good tool to slim down. If your health condition permits dust the doors, windows, cupboards, cabinets, etc. where you have to stretch your arms above your head. This way the upper part of body gets good stretch which in turn flattens stomach, arms get toned up. While dusting higher surfaces you tend to go on toes which in turn tones up legs as well.

Doing this 2-3 days in a week will tone you up in 4-5 weeks itself.

3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Yes, you can lose weight by doing chores. It can be don. You eat three meals- breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do not fill-up at any meal. Tea without sugar. And do the chores, you will easily lose weight.

Needtobestrong and anika987 like this.
  4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

I agree that house hold chores would give you a workout , no doubts on that one.
    However , if you are planning to let go of the maids once the situation improves , give that a detailed thought. I am saying this keeping in account your previous threads as well , not just responding to this one .
    To be able to lose couple of kgs ( i understand the need for it , i am in the same boat) dont give up on the help you are able to hire . Never underestimate how big or small it is. If you are inspired by your neighbor who never hired a maid also weigh in the differences in the life choices, support system , priorities everything . Tomorrow if you let go of the help , then you would be solely responsible to finish all the chores plus handling adult tantrums and preparing for job and other things . ( i read somewhere that you are also trying for a job). No one will be happy because you did all the chores and saved that money , it would be taken as your duty. Retain all the help you can afford to get and get some more if possible. With the time and energy saved , invest in rebuilding your career / trying out different workouts / even doing that house clean up to get that workout but as a choice and not out of compulsion. Never think of doing everything on your own to lose those kilos , its never worth it . would be very draining physically and emotionally.

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

True..don’t give up the help.It will be physically and emotionally draining..The other lady and her situation might be very different..Due to Coronavirus now you are forced to do all the work but later on don’t give up on househelp.No weight loss is worth your health and emotional needs.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  6. Needtobestrong

Thanks ladies..
    @anika987
    @Caughtinbetween
    Both of you are absolutely right, paid help is needed for chores especially in case of joint family else it becomes frustrating to be stuck doing all these on my own...I used to have maid prior to all this...
    It's a temporary situation, which could extend for a few months more...since maids were banned since march end , all domestic workers made travel plans..now all maids in my area are in their hometown since march itself...it would take time for them to come back, as intercity and inter state borders are sealed and they usually take train or bus.. after they come back that also there is a plan in my society to not allow them till curve flattens and covid situation is greatly improved...so not much choice here...
    I'm exhausted but also want to lose the weight that's stubbornly not reducing....
    If I anyway have to do chores , thought if I do in such a way that I lose a few kilos...really I'll be happy if I lose 3 to 4 kg in a couple of months...
    Really I hope the Covid situation comes to normal so I can get some help....my maid told me over phone that she is not planning to come back after lockdown ends due to personal reason and she will stay back there only..if I've to find new person its tough...and because the nearby area where domestic workers reside is over crowded, their travel habits, personal hygiene and readiness to follow cleanliness and covid precautions is really questionable...
    that's why I'm reluctant to keep paid helps for a few months and need to pull on somehow..will need later if and when I need to step out for work , now anyways job markets are down....and hope the situation is good and I'm in better shape by then..

7. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

+1
    couldn't agree more!
    My MIL's place, they grew up very, like really poor and never had a maid etc- they were at maid social status ( I am saying this give a better view of situation and not to mock). She continues the style now. My husband and mine is arranged marriage via TOI. Somehow, there is no match of social status or education. My parents always used the 'ways' of socially richer class. They always had maids and nannies.

We were both in US, when our marriage was arranged. Coming to US, everyone is in one bed room apartment, so we not able to see the working of the other person's mind.

Soon, after marriage DH started commenting, 'indian middle class aurantein get fat because they have maids'

When I go to MIL, I do all the work, in their town house like house. She has 3 daughters and few relatives. She invites everyone to stay there for all meals, and even neighbors. She has asked me to eat last, no SIL come to help. I have to cook, serve, take to zhoota plate to sink, clean, and start the process again. All wearing a synthetic saree in a small kitchen. All the nieces also, leave the plate with water in it, to take to sink. They want made to order breakfast for each one in the extended family, even with my children in my tow. Doing all this, I lose 6kgs in 30 days. Sometimes, I am too tired to eat, there or disgusted to eat because they have very bad hygiene.

In US, also I am spending my last 13 years of marriage cleaning toilets, and doing other house hold things. My MIL and DH did not want me to work outside the home. I came to US to do Masters and got stuck with this family. My DH is not a good person and is worse than MIL.

OP,
    I am saying all this because, I feel that your MIL side is capable of spoiling your life. So, try to wake up before the time is gone and you are too old. Even learning new things takes a lot effort and energy.
    No one will remember what you did at home, or how much tired you were.
    Take care of your kids, do some online courses and minimum around the house. Plan to soon leave for full time work outside of house. Get helpers to watch kid, while MIL oversees the helpers. It will be hard to shake her off.

8. Needtobestrong

Thank you so much for the well meaning advice...I was thinking about fitness due to desperation of weight loss and depression of covid situation..
    Really you are right, a woman needs to work outside else she'll be stuck as a house maid catering to everyone's whims and fancies...
    Yes you are so right, i cant shake off this MIL of mine so easily...she wants to royally sit at home and do minimum chores, and FIL just eats and sleeps the whole day...just thankful if they keep my toddler occupied for some time so I can sit and take nap and give rest to my body..
    Wanted to be physically fit...fit enough to manage ..because in my city and neighbouring cities, still new cases of Covid19 r coming everyday...and all workers are in home town or village.. itll take months to finalize and keep a maid after significant improvement in covid and after getting approval from our society and all...but really you're right...in laws are expert in making educated woman into cook and maid whom no one will respect...we had domestic helps all these years, now only we had to let go due to this covid problem...
    I'll be happy if I could just lose 2 to 3 kgs in next one or 2 months then I'll surely keep maid and do other workouts and walking...

Vaikuntha likes this.
  9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

It all depends what you feel about your body and your daily schedule. Example: if you eat more fried food and high cholesterol, definitely worth going for more walk or workout.

My case I am more occupied with my kids. So I don't get much workout time. I utilize my kids time to make more effective.

More healthy food
    Playing little kids game hide and seek, tag, soccer in my backyard
    In USA no help, obviously I loose more weight
    I eat balanced food but I haven't gained much weight
    I gained 3 pounds during this quarantine time:(..I started doing more vaccum, mopping backyard along with my kids
    Always think how can you loose your weight along with your daily work
    schedule so that you don't feel exhausted

10. Needtobestrong

Thank you..
    But strange thing is that though lockdown started in March,I’ve been doing all these daily hectic chores in absence of maid but this didn’t help me lose weight at all...though I eat balanced home food and no outside food, very less junk food..it’s quite upsetting..

Mehana likes this.