1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hostile Hospitality

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Aug 20, 2012.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,
    Your reference to Rajma struck a chord in me as I suffered Rajma hospitality for eight years in Delhi where I worked.I however put my foot down when they tried to extend this delicacy at Chennai.These days calling people home is on the decline and get togethers are in restaurants or clubs.The reasons are not far to seek.The lady of the house needs a break.You dont have the problem of getting a maid to clear up the mess.People can afford.Mobile/internet chats are gradually replacing the need for meeting in person.I share your anguish over the Rajma episode.
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Balajee,
    It looks like even if the guests are given permission to cook in your house, the dish they wanted to dish it to you (as they are not allowed to bring any food prepared in their house) to get an appreciation from you, it will be like getting the Brahmarishi title from Vashistar! :) வசிஷ்டர் வாயால் பிராமரிஷி பட்டம் வாங்குவதைப் போல :biglaugh:

Sriniketan

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Meena it is adai and avial along with speculations on rain any time. First I love adai but don't get to eat much of it because all others in my family are adai haters. Second Rajma and roti is a bad combo. Rajma should only be eaten with fragrant Basmati rice. But intelligent and riveting conversation is always a bonus, a big bonus.

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

LN sir, Very true . Keeping in touch through internet or mobiles saves the trouble of risking your life to test someone's culinary abilities. As for rajma I don't hold any grudge against it and I still love it despite the disastrous experience. My tastebuds are perfectly balanced between north and south. If at the north end the hot favourite is rajma chawal at the south end it is vattha kozhambu, paruppu thogayal and potato curry.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Getting Brahmarishi title from Vashishta is fine but this Vashishta is unwilling to risk his health and even life to scout for Brahmarishis.

1 person likes this.