1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Horses For Courses

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Afer a long, painful delay in international sporting activities, suddenly, this June has presented us, the sports lovers, with a plethora of sporting events. A few months back, I had to watch a few matches of the IPL, which I would have never done -- as I hate that circus passed off as cricket-- had my plate been not empty. However, the situation is completely different now. Making the proper choice has become quite tricky, as we have had England vs NZ bilateral test series, ICC World Test Championship Final, Euro, Copa America and WWE Hell In A Cell.

As cricket is the most popular spots in India, let's talk about it first. The WTC Final is now over, and you all know that India has been humbled by the Kiwis. But, what you don't know is that the Indian captain Virat Kohli is a great fan of Odin. You must have watched the film Thor: Ragnarok. In this film, Thor had to cause rebirth of Surtur to stop Hela from harming the people of Asgard. In the process, the people were rescued in a spacecraft, but Asgard was destroyed.

If you are wondering what's the relationship of this film with Virat Kohli, I will remind you of the famous dialogue of Odin which he said to Thor in his vision. He said Asgard is not a place, but it's the people. Virat Kohli also believes India is not a place, but wherever the Indian cricketers go, the place becomes India. That's why he chose 2 spinners -- he would have chosen the third one as well had there been anyone left in the 15 member squad -- on a pitch which was very unkind to the spinners.

It was not as if that the NZ was a formidable side. In fact, I would say, both India and NZ are no where near to the all-time great test teams of Clive Lloyd or Steve Waugh or Ricky Ponting. There is no great cricketer in either team except Virat Kohli, who is terribly out of form in the last year or so. NZ is a mediocre side with lots of guts and grittiness. They have got a very good thinking captain, who lead from the front. They strategised very well, too.

On the other hand Virat made a huge mistake in choosing the playing eleven, apart from losing the toss, which you can however say was not in his hand. But, these two factors decided the fate of the match even before the first delivery was bowled. In other words, India had no chance whatsoever from the beginning. The other factors are non significant. If Virat is going to show the same kind of adamant attitude of playing two spinners in the forthcoming 5 test match series against England, I am afraid, the results of 2018 (1-4) maybe repeated.

Now, let's move to football. The timings of the Copa America do not suit me. So, I am watching EURO, where very exciting football is being on display. The teams like Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, France, Croatia and Germany have shown great skills, scoring some breathtaking goals. However, if I am to pick only two teams, I would choose Netherlands and France as the favourites to win the cup.

Finally, let's talk about the WWE Hell In A Cell, and to be particular the WWE title match between Drew McIntyre and the All Mighty Bobby Lashley. This match reached great heights, and is one of the best that I have ever seen. Drew dominated the match, but victory was stolen from him by the machinations of MVP. I felt very sad for Drew. Adding insult to injury, he lost his match against Riddle on next day on Monday night RAW.

PS: I know this website may not be the best place to write this blog. But, nowadays, I don't feel like writing in sports websites. Hoping that there might be a few sports enthusiasts, I am posting it here.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

A sports minister watching a football match said it is ridiculous 22 players changing one ball. Why not give one ball to each? He was replaced by another sporting minister as sports minister. while watching a cricket match, he was annoyed to see ballers trying to hit the batsman, saying our country believes in live and let live.

Tamrakshar likes this.
  3. Tamrakshar

Well said Hari ji. That was indeed the case in the past. Being blissfully ignorant is considered no sin for the pollinations. Unfortunately, that's not the case for the think tank of the Indian cricket team. Any person with a minimum level of understanding should have known that the pitch at Southampton had nothing, absolutely nothing for the spinners.

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. Tamrakshar

Babar ne firse ekbar India se fateh hasil kar liye. Like the Panipat battle, this battle was one-sided too. Virat brigade surrendered meekly.

5. Tamrakshar

It's very hard to believe what is happening with the Indian cricket team in the T-20 world cup! The guys won handsomely in the two practice matches against two very good teams. Now, they are playing like minnows. It doesn't look good to me.

6. Tamrakshar

By defeating the T-20 runners-up NZ comprehensively in the T-20 series by a margin of 3-0, at last, India has salvaged some pride after their humiliating exit from the recently held T-20 world cup. NZ might whinge that there was no Ken Williams in the team. But, the matter of fact is that India has also rested a few important players for this series. So it was an even-steven affair.

The new captain of the T-20 team Rohit Sharma looked very impressive in this series. He has been attacking wisely, his fielding placements have been intelligent. His changing of bowlers has also been good. The most important thing is that he has the sixth sense, which tells the captain that what is going to happen.

Some of the new players like Harshal Patel and Venkatesh Iyer have done well.

7. Tamrakshar

Good decision has been made regarding the odi captaincy. Rohit is the right choice baby!

Virat Kohli is a great batsman, he can become the greatest of all time at the end of his career. We don't want to lose batter Kohli, who is like a king, for the sake of captain Kohli, who is not that great.