1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Horror-Scopes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Horror-Scopes

I read about some school, I think <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>, that wants to introduce astrologers in the school, who can see the horoscope of the children and advise them what fields are good for them, going by their horoscopes.

My problem is , I don’t know ABC of these things, and I don’t believe in them. In the sense , that yes there must be good astrologers, I don’t deny, who may have good knowledge of these things, and who do predict things, and tell u everything in advance, but somehow I have never been to even one fellow, for I am least interested in these things.

My Dad’s was an interesting case.He worked very hard, but was penniless till the age of 40, which was predicted by some astrologer, who told him that he will start to rise after 40, and to wear a pukhraj stone, whereby his bullock speed of progress would increase to to plane’s speed , in short it would speed up the money coming in.

Another very interesting one was of my younger brother, the last one.His chart showed that he is the incarnation of Kuber, the God of Money, and Dad started to rise after his birth.The pandit told mom never to show it to anyone else, and keep it hidden.But then after marriage, his good run stopped, I mean my brother’s and he had a very torrid time, which has now improved drastically.My horoscope, mom does not give me, and I am curious to see what is written in it, but somehow, she has always refused to show to me. Maybe she is ashamed that her son , a Sindhi is writing crap called blogging, and sindhis are hardly writers, and that Kamal retired at 50, which is no age for a sindhi to retire.Whatever the reasons, I too am not interested to look at it, or show it to anyone.

Why would I want to know, when I will turn a pauper,or when I will become sick, and when I will die.What is destined, will happen, why know in advance when I will conk off. Don’t the best movies have suspense till the end, same way, I want my life to be a suspense, the ending unexpected.

In our particular family, we don’t make the horoscopes of the girls born, for reasons I don’t know, so both my daughters don’t have their horoscopes.When the nurse came to tell the time, mom quietly tore off the slip, and told her, please don’t even mention to us the hour minute and the second, please do us this favour, and they looked at us in amazement.Mom says as it is there is so much trouble to get a girl married, and horoscope adds to the problems, like if the girl has mangal or shani or whatever.

So when my elder daughter got engaged, the boy’s mother wanted the horoscope , we told her we don’t have any, somehow, she pried out the time and the minutes from her, and I told harsha as we came out, that u should not have said it, she was very sad that she gave away the secret, we did not want to mention that it was evening or morning, just the date and the year.So my samdhan got my daughter’s horoscope made quietly and luckily it matched, we were told long after the marriage.What if it had not matched is the question.Its been 4 years and they are happily married.

Last week, my only neice got engaged, and without the horoscopes of both, we both agreed. I may be wrong, but look at Sunil Dutt and Nargis wedding, which was a success, and by laws of astrology or any other logic, it should have flopped. She was elder to him, different communities, she was famous for u know what, and her mother’s past everyone knew. And today even after the horoscopes match, the best of the weddings are headed for the splitsville as we read , and we see around us.

For a marriage to succeed, u need to work hard on it, both have to make adjustments, and same is the case with a career. Just because my horoscope may have said, I am good at writing does not mean I will become another Robert Ludlum, or Jeffrey Archer. Hobbies are best left as hobbies. For every MF Hussain, there are a million failures.I wonder what Tiger Wood’s hororscope would have said “ Son, the lower part of your body will work more than the upper part “ !!!

To those who believe, they are right, they may have seen it , I have not , I don’t believe, and still I have no complaints with the lord. I have seen the sour side of life, and I am seeing the sweet side now, I took both with grace, for what is ordained for me, will come, pandit or no pandit, be it good or bad. Then why worry, and give away my hard earned money to break the suspense, which I am very much enjoying now.

To sum it up “ Que Sara Sara, whatever will be will be, the future’s not ours to see, Que Sara Sara.

To all the stars up there in the sky,
    Don’t bother to look into my Pie,
    Every morning I am happy to log,
    And love to comment read or blog,

Don’t u stars bother about me,
    Good or bad, just let me be,
    Even if tomorrow if I happen to Die,
    Never u will hear from my lips a Sigh.

Happy Weekend ladies and Gentlemen, I did not mean to offend any believer, these aer just my personal views, based on what I have gone through in life, its just that I believe that god has made me, and he will take me, and I am sure he will take care of me, till now he has done a fabulous job. God bless u, God !!!

KAMAL MAHTANI

Economic Professor to student
    Give an example of Complete business Failure due to Professional Neglience

Student – A Pregnant Prostitute.!

1 person likes this.
  2. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

Kamalji
    As usual a good one from your pen :thumbsup, something not just to enjoy but to ponder over too.
    you make us put on our thinking caps , and mull over our notions and beliefs. But the style is nice and well researched work.

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Pranams to Kamalji

That was a very nice post. Am sure it would be a thought provoking one to many. In my case not that I totally discard astrology, I dont like the practice of going to astrologers for each and every move of mine like some people do. I simply cant entertain the idea of Astrologers in School to find out the line of interest of children.

Children will shine in any field if it is of interest to them and they have the required aptitude and love for the subject or field. Your experience with horoscope of your daughter was also interesting.

As u say not all arranged marriages are a success and not all love marriages are a failure. It is simply one's attitude towards life that makes it a success or a failure. And I truly believe there has to be good understanding and small compromises wherever required.

Good writing to quench thirst of fans like me!!!

And sorry I did not deliberately withdraw the nomination. Somehow I thought old posts would have already gone through the process of nomination and hence withdrew.

Am happy the Mods of IL Team have included and I have also endorsed my view and included again.

Good luck.

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

dear kamalji

how come you dole out so thought provoking and humorous blog, quite often. I think you have one big Pandora Box, from which you scoop out one by one so good articles.

Even my mom never believed in horoscope and we too had ups and downs but never once she bothered to see her or ours horoscope.

Even at my mrg, we told that we are not interested in horoscope, but if groom side want they can do,

But my inlaws it seems, believed toooooooooo much in horoscope, but somehow after our mrg, they stopped, for whatever reason, i dont know:)

thanks for such a fantastic post.

5. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi !
    I agree with your view that its better to have suspense in life than to have a neat catalogue like a railway timetable, "you will get married at 25 ", you'll build a house in 1999", "you will break an arm on your 48th birthday" etc etc. Remember that song "Zindageeee ! Kaisi hai paheli hai re, kisiko hasaaye,kisiko rulaye" ? If we know the "paheli's"answers beforehand, no one will hasenge, no one will royenge, but just wait for the damn bell to ring . Life mein masala nahin rahega !

6. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hello Kamalji,

Very well written. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

The great astrologer BV Raman mentions in his book that if an average astrologer saw his and his wifes horoscopes, they would never give the go-ahead for their marriage. It needs advanced knowledge of the field to predict the yogas that would cancel out the more obvious doshas. So to most arm chair astrologers would not let him marry his wife.:)

I do think that the field of astrology has promise but due to lack of a formal system of training and formalized process of certification and rating it is extraordinarily difficult to find one that really knows the field.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Kamalji,

Me being an atheist - i strongly believe these are horror scopes for the people who are filled with fear.

in general who goes to these astrologers? people with problems. the fear of the unknown is in them. the present is not in their control, then what to say about the future.

like you said there could be astrologers just comforting them but many see this as a business opportunity. they start planning a tour program for the victim - to all the pre-historic temples in india. sometimes i feel they should be paid by the tourism boards of indian states for the packages they suggest. or they suggest all kinds of stones - for this the quarry owners should pay them.

you should see some people wearing more rings than the fingers they actually have.

kamalji, have you seen parrots predicting the futures of the mankind with 6 senses? that's ultimate.

this topic is little sensitive. people might send us to mars with the horror scopes made for us on a one way ticket.

kamalji, there is a reason for your mom to hide your horror scope. because there is a real horror.

probably your birth place is some where in pakistan and you will be writing about in all blogs and Shiv Sena will come to know and they will ask for your extradition.:biglaugh

About the Economics:

Oj-Da will write about it, but let me too comment.

That's not a Professional Negligence.

Probably they do have a family apart from the profession and the pregnancy could be due to their family life apart from the service they render to the society.

So I would not treat this as Professional Negligence.

8. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Nice blog about a popular topic. I too agree with Natpudan that those who consult astrologers usually do so as a last resort - when they are so beset with problems and see no way out of them!

It's amazing that you did away with the practice of generating horoscopes in your family! That is a positive sign, true...as I see it, only the girl's horoscope seems to have 'dosh' that needs to be corrected!

I remember once I was sitting in a park, where a lot of people were spending the evening. There were these two young boys, with a parrot and cards, offering to tell your fortune. A man walked up to them and said, can you tell me who I am and what I do? The boy was stumped - the parrot can only pick up cards, not tell you anything. The man proceeded to give the boy a lecture - Why do you do this thing, does it give you lots of money, why don't you go to school and become something etc.

Astrology and other religious sciences will exist so long as there as customers.

Good blog, enjoyed it!

Cheers,
    Sowmya

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    wonderful and thought provoking post!
    You are correct in your statement " Horror scope" But Kamalji, people having so much troubles burdening then go to the astrologer as a last resort. They want to know some means to get rid of the sickening
    troubles. They should have the awareness that their future and lives lie in their hands. Till then "No kamalji" can change the attitude.

If you rely on your horoscope to tell you your fate, beware. General horoscopes are aimed towards a general audience, not to you. If there is anything negative, you can choose not to accept it. Statistically, people with positive attitudes get more of what they want out of life than people with negative ones. What you believe is more often than not what will happen to you. If you fear something with intensity, it will probably happen to you, because you are trying too hard to avoid it. That is called, a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    If you really want to accomplish something, you should be determined to make things work. You have a choice on whether or not to make what you read a reality for your life. Truth or lie is up to you to decide. Go ahead and read the horoscopes. They are good to pass the time if you are bored, and maybe for a good laugh, but don't trust your whole life to it.now everything have become so commercial to spoil our mind and money. So the best way is to keep away from this.

Like you, I also did not see the SIL and Dils' horoscopes forr compatibility during the marriage. But it requires lot of mental strength like your mother. Certain habits will never die.
    with love
    pad

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear kamalji,

very interesting post:thumbsup

i too do not believe in it but yes my father did get our horoscopes matched for my marriage.
    My husbands family were not bothered...i tease him that I was SO good that they did not want to see anything else hahah
    and anyway when ever we have fights now we have one person to blame,no? that astrologer in Mumbai who promised 100 % compatability :biglaugh
    jokes apart i find it very interesting as a science because some people do give very good predictions,no?
    i have not consulted any because hubby will not allow me to.otherwise it may be fun to even let a parrot pick up my cards and say something nice:) but i do not want to know any bad that is in store for me ,that is for sure hahahhaha