1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Honesty A Difficult Path To Walk

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Feb 20, 2022.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Honesty: A difficult path to walk
    Being honest is the perpetual fight between mind and soul. Inner self forbids doing what is not good, the mind looks into the practical aspect of life. In most cases, the mind wins. Perhaps present-day materialistic life justifies such issues.

HONESTY IS defined as a state or quality of being honest (free from fraud, upright, just, sincere, candid, virtuous) integrity, candor, truth. While describing someone or ourselves as honest we forget that it is rather impossible to be truly honest.

One of my friends, a chartered accountant, once told me that he keeps some cash in the open drawers or in the kitchen self which is not only handy while paying certain bills or asking the servant to get something from the market but also for testing the integrity of the servant. It may be difficult for a person to break open a locker but it will be quite easy for him to pinch some money or jewelry lying unguarded. Honest people do not take advantage of situations whatever may be the gains.

The issue is the perpetual fight between mind and soul. Inner self forbids doing what is not good, the mind looks into the practical aspect of life. In most cases, the mind wins. Perhaps present-day materialistic life justifies such issues. Maybe these are not the issues at all.

Let us start from the beginning of our adulthood as childhood can be spared for reasons of lack of experience or understanding of various aspects of an honest life. Grabbing out of turn or unjustified benefits be it not standing in the queue or backdoor entries for our personal or official gains, being part of some fraud, reaching office late or leaving early on false pretexts, remaining politically correct in the face of injustice to a fellow worker, pinching office stationery, submitting inflated tour bills, accepting or expecting gifts from suppliers, bribing the system for speeding up our official work in order to gain a few points of performance awards. There can be hundreds of examples of our working life when we did not really look honest.

Outside our working life, the situation is no better. We do not follow the traffic rules, do not pay our taxes, and become a part of the corrupt system. The glaring example is the avoidance of stamp duty by undervaluing the property purchased. It is well known that the builders ask for 50 percent cash. Many a time receipt is not taken for purchases to avoid sales tax. Every time the excuse is ‘others too are doing it and if we do not fall in line we will not survive’.

Is it that remaining honest in present-day society really impossible? Should we, therefore, change the definition of honesty? Should bribery be legalized? Should some premium be charged legally on out-of-turn allotment of tickets, passports, and many other such things in the same way as a tatkal railway ticket or passport or cooking gas connection?

Is it rather true that we are dishonest because we are human? I do not think animals have the concept of honesty. They have only one rule, might is right. Since physical might be able to have started street violence we invented financial or intellectual might to score over others. With the process of time, people with financial or intellectual might got their tools sharpened and became more and more successful.

It looks honesty is for preaching to others and not for self-practice. It seems true because in spite of centuries of preaching society is struggling with fraud, untruths, and injustice. It is something like a notice board in front of a juice center proclaiming ‘drinking strictly prohibited but you can find people mixing their drinks with the juice supplied by the center-right in front of the shop and enjoy in the full glare of all standing around. The notice board is more of an invitation to buy juice to mix with drinks. By describing what is considered dishonest and staying away from such practices, the opposite seems to be happening. People are learning more tricks to be smart.

Rihana, NOW, Thyagarajan and 4 others like this.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Honesty unadulterated by diplomacy abd tact cn mkae you a lot of enemies, People expect flattery and not truth. Ot is a great art to mke trutyh sound like flattery. If you see someone's glass is half empty you should always say it is half full. Honesty in public dealings will take you nowhere in this corrupt world.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

What a wonderful and contemplative snippet this is! Honesty is questioned not only now but for many yugas. This is precisely why Sakuni taught Kauravas to believe in mental power and strategy than righteousness and why Mandara taught mother Kaikeyi to use the vow given to her by king Dasaradha to give the crown to Bharatha in place of Rama and send Rama to the forest for 14 years. Many argue that those events happened because the Avatar wanted to ensure the bad elements were destroyed to establish righteousness. Other argue, despite the final outcome of both Purana, the quality of life faced by Rama, Lakshmana and Pandava are not desirable for a normal human-beings.

In Kali Yuga, there are no right and wrong people and everyone is a mixture of right and wrong. It is like taking a mixture as a medicine where only one ingredient is valuable to our body and the other is not so good. At the end of the day, peace and happiness are important and happiness alone will not help without the peace of mind.

NOW and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. HariLakhera

Dear Viswa,
    As usual, your words inspire.
    "the quality of life faced by Rama, Lakshmana and Pandava are not desirable for a normal human-beings'
    This is the whole issue. At the end of the tunnel who expects another tunnel? The subjects
    irks my conscience every time someone talks of absolute honesty. Day in and day out we live a compromised life and talk of honesty and truth. As Geeta says, even Devatas live a mixed life-satvik, rajasik and tamasik. I guess we are not made for living only one life. I always say Satyug, Treta Yug, Dwaparyug and Kaliyug is all here today, this very moment. So what crib? Live a life you think is good for you. That seems to be the only solution. Half of world's problems are because of our penetrating eyes finding faults with others.

NOW and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

( This is my article published in Indian Express in 2015.May be treated as a response to Shri Hari Lakhera's article also)

A software lady professional, with basic psychiatry qualifications.became depressed after working for 6 long years in many projects.

So while analysing herself she realised that she has turned out too bitter because of all the wrongs done to her (professional dirty politics and personal dirty politics of in-laws, etc).
    She had become too short tempered and bitter from inside that she started retrieving herself into shell , not wanting to deal with the people who caused mental trauma to her.
    She felt that all the other issues together kept brewing anger, resentment and hatred inside her like a pressure cooker which could burst out anytime.

But of late,she realised that she cannot change the people around her but she could change the way she I dealt with those people.

She started to be more calm though still she became aggressive and defensive sometimes.
    By default her nature is that of naive, honest, straigtforward yet strong woman who cares for others and is out to help anyone.

.She doesn't gossip as many did.

But the profession is a dirty one.

While she worked like a bull, many others , light minded, were getting on well and were being appreciated for the works she had done.

Yes, there was a message.Being sincere and honest wont get you anything unless it is accompanied by smartness to gain fame and "praises".

At personal level, calling spade a spade with inlaws and dear husband resulted in multiple injuries . Almost the relationship and marriage were at the verge of breaking....somehow survived through the major storm.

Lesson learnt and hidden message decoded- some manipulation, assertiveness and smartness is required to deal with inlaws.
    And so is needed with husband too along with lots of patience, lot of artificial love making etc etc.

"I would have never understood these hidden coded messages of life.Life does not come with a manual of dos and donts for each person depending on the situation." she writes.

She thanks the psychiatry text books which enabled me to come out of depression.

Now after decoding the hidden messages of life - she has learnt that we cannot survive if we are raw and honest. Some amount of pretention, manipulation, assertiveness is required to survive in this cruel world.

When I read her message I am reminded of a quote which I have read on many occasions.

I think that mothers.grandmas of early days, who didn't have even proper schooling, ( not to talk of psychiatry) have been advising their daughters about this''smartness' over 'honesty' and even sage Kanwa advises his daughter in Shakunthalam about the way she should behave in her husband's place.

In the present day situations this advice applies more to boys than girls if they want peace of mind at home and office.What do you think,friends?

Jayasala 42

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

True.
    One must be like a diplomat who can always say
    "Yes" meaning "No" & vice versa.
    Degree of honesty sometimes linked to poverty. But then I had seen poor fellows do remain honest. About affluent class I can not vouchsafe for their honesty.

What is the need to be honest? Where and when one should or should not practise honesty?

In Gods world too one can point out numerous dishonest characters.
    As a class businessmen can never eternally remain honest.
    Unsaying what is to be said or disclosed or engaged in cover ups too comes under dishonesty.

Think of attorneys and their AFFLUENCE!
    Think of status of politicians past and present.
    Entire civilisation grown and strong by dishonest practises. Kings, emperors usurp other nations, others' spouse by dishonest means.

Kings big and small aligned with east india and the aftermath - dishonesty.

HariLakhera likes this.
  7. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

I completely agree with @jayasala42 . As a woman, I see that honesty has no place in any space -domestic or work, any relationship - family-of-origin, husband or in-laws. I learnt to walk the rope the hard way and honesty played a very little role in it. But at the end of the day I aim to be honest with myself and not loose my purpose ..my peace .. my identity.. probably those are more tied to my soul than the ever greedy mind. My 2 cents.. :)

8. HariLakhera

Brave and frank acknowledgment. It's the story of all.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

Psychology must be playing a big role in the inner and outer world. In my opinion, tact and diplomacy play a big role in our life. No one teaches, how to behave in a particular situation and situations differ depending on places and circumstances. We learn them by observation and experience. There are some ground rules but using them will solely depend on the person, place, and circumstance.
    As far MIL< SIL< DIL issues are concerned they have many dimensions involving members of the family emotionally and practically.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. HariLakhera

There is a big row going on presently in Ukraine v/s Russia. It is worth listening to what they say and what they mean. Everyone wants a peaceful resolution but no one wants to budge an inch. Other countries like India are advocating peace.
    The point is all of them are honest to their goal and so can be termed as honest depending on which side of the fence one is sitting on.
    These are big issues and dishonesty, lies, extortion, torture etc are treated as good in the interest of the countries involved and stakes are high.
    I am more concerned about common people and circumstances where staying honest and truthful is possible if one chooses to be.

Thyagarajan likes this.