1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hone up your oratorical skill!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra'
    Grateful for yr. appreciation.

I agree with you 110% that we should not upset the elderly and the aged.

:mrgreen:
    manjula

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    During my academic career, I have won quite a few accolades for my oratorical and writing skills(!) I got my first ever recognition when I was in 10th std and my teacher selected me for participation in the elocution competition not because I had any oratorical skills but because I looked 'cute' and had a good voice. I did not fail him in the competition as I was awarded the 1st Prize because, as the Head Master summed it up, I was less nervous than others! Most of my awards could be won because of the fact 'aalayilla ooril iluppappoo sarkarai!'

But no award lifted my spirit as much as being called the 'resident PG W'! That's the best I have had so far! Thank you indeed!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    "If Sri scores 98.76 % for his leader post, you come to a close 89.98 %"
    I think you have got your statistics all wrong there! It should read, "if Sri scores 89.98% for his leader post, you (Manju) come to a close 98.76%"
    This girl stands tall (pun intended) among the ILites when it comes to classic unoffending humour!
    Thanks for not nominating my post for August. I appreciate it!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    How true it is that to make an immortal speech, you dont have to make it everlasting! I have a great respect for Rotary in this area because of their rigid implementation of the 20-minute rule! I have seen some Presidents acting with a iron hand when dealing with speakers who do not know how to end their speech!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    That episode invoving Augustus Fink Nottle (Gussy) at the Prize giving ceremony of a Scripture Competition is my greatest favourite of all time. I laugh everytime I read it and I have read it hundreds of times! When Gussy goes to the extent of suspecting a clandestine relationship between the Head Master and the mother of the Prize winning boy, I split my sides laughing! oh, how I miss my PG W!
    sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear ksv
    "As far as I am concerned, when i was in school my mother use to encourage me to go for ' recitation ' &' Speech 'competitions.. I always use to prefer the 'recitation' since the content is already available & it needs to be delivered properly.(ie with the right pace & within the given time..) .But even in that i failed.. would start off properly..(no starting trouble!!) would slowly become nervous abt the audience & finally finish it off.. without even speaking the full content.."
    That was really funny! I guess that everyone goes through this phase in life. I had narrated my own first experience in my reply to Manju which is more or less like yours. I too trembled and I too did not complete my speech and yet got a prize because I completed a greater portion of my speech than others and trembled less!
    I have absolutely no fear of addressing any gathering now but I can see a lot of reluctance on the part of clubs and other fora in inviting me to speak!
    sri

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

medai meethu eri...
    solla vanthathai
    uru pottirunthaalum
    extemporanaalum
    koottathai paarthavudan
    kaalgal pogume
    90% bhoomikkul
    meethiyayum vizhingividaatha?
    verthu viruvirukka
    paanai jalam pidikkalaam
    vaarthaikku bathil
    kaatre varakkoodum
    mouna vrithamo?
    vai asaivugal
    puriyaathu koottam
    koochalida.
    varatha varthaigalil
    statistics avathu
    vital statistics avathu...
    ethuvum thunaikku
    vaarathu kaan enru
    palli muthale kidaitha anubavam...

sathya

dear manju

visiri illamal thavithaal
    ennai kooppidu
    loved your write up fine...

sathya

8. Cheeniya

Dear Sathya
    Ungalukka ivvalavu bayam?
    Namba mudiyavillai!
    Ellorukkum indha symptoms irukkum
    aanal aaramba kattathilthan.
    Piragu nammai paarthu
    Matravargal bayappada vendamo?
    aiyyo pesa aarambithu vittane endru!
    Inda bayathai pokka medayil mudugai
    Kattikkondu pesavendiyathuthan!
    sri

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Waited long enough to savor your humorous posts. You never disappoint Cheeniya sir :)
    Count me as another one of those whose legs turn to jelly when having to address a group. I can chat anyone's head off as long as feeling comfy and carefree, teachers often called me a chatterbox , but most of them were myopic...always looked at the wrong kid on the block. Imagine me, goody shoes, ever instigating a chatter:icon_frown:
    Whatever, it sure was 77% , the teacher's misconception, 25%, the fault of my fellow classmate and maybe about 1 whole percent, me...by chance.
    And thanks Manjureddy for the motivation, even if the instigation is Cheeniya:)

L, Kamla

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    They say that the easiest way to silence a chatterbox is to thrust a mike in his hand! These two are different. A chatterbox may not be a good speaker and vice versa!
    But legs becoming jelly is indeed a horrible experience! I can stand any other part of my anatomy becoming jelly but certainly not my legs!
    Manju is a class artist and like every other witer in this forum, I keep straining my eyes in her direction to see if she puts up an appearance!
    Sri