1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

homework time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by kailashwathi, Jan 31, 2008.

1. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

How does everyone here handle homework time? Do you sit with your child all through the time while he/she is doing homework? Is there any set amount of time or any particular time they do only each day? How about play time everyday? What about weekends?

Please share your ideas
    Thanks
    Kailashwathi

2. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi Kailashwathi,
    I sit with my 4 1/2 yr old kid when he does his homework(mostly)to make sure he writes neatly..Sometimes i just tell him what to do..Daily i make him to write 1/2 hr only..Then he'll play or watch TV..

In the weekends i will not make him to write unless he has HW..If he wants to color i will ask him to do so...

Cheers
    Ramya

3. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi Kailashwathi,

I sit with my son when he does his home work. But I won't be looking at his note/book all the time, I just ask him to do what needs to be done (of course I would need to assist him then and there). But Basically I must do a couple of things. One is I make sure I switch off everything (T.V, stove...) and I sit next to him and second is I do my office work or reading or writing work (I say that's my home work). Usually, I use that time to write my To-do's list and something or other.

The reason I do this because when I was a kid. My mother was a working mom and when she comes home she will be completely tired and will have loads of work to finish. And hence she couldn't sit with me for my home work. She says to do the home work myself and I hated that. I may sit with my books but at times with zero concentration. I needed her and I know the want and that's why I make sure I am with my son when he does the HW.

Regarding timings..........I reach home at 06:00 pm and will have one hour for other things. We start H.W at 07:00 to 07:30/07:40 PM max. 08:00 PM to give him food. Weekends we do on any free time (no fixed timing)

4. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Hi Aabhi:
    Thanks for responding. When do you have time to cook for dinner? As you said you are working so mornings might not be possible too.
    How do you manage housework and still have time to sit for child's homework?
    What class is your child in?

:coffee:coffee

5. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi Kailashwathi,

Yes, I am a working mother. I cook in the morning (Breakfast & Lunch) to pack for all of us. It's difficult, but cooking in the morning makes things easier in the evening. I hate the full fledged cooking in the evening bonk.

For Dinner, I would do something very simple like Dosa's, idiappam, Upma, Chapathy. Which hardly needs 30 mins. I finish this before or after his homework. It depends how hungry we are :crazy.

And my son is in just KG 2.

Please share your's as well here.

6. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Hi Aabhi:

I am a stay at home mom. I used to work earlier but that made us literally 'Run' in life.
    I thought its not worth it. Hubby makes enough for all of us. We sat down and made our calculations and finally decided I can stay at home till the kids are a little older when they dont need much of my attention. So, right now, I am enjoying both my kids as much as I can. Though sometimes I feel I have lot of time but then housework and kids activities after school take my time. I also am reading a lot which makes me
    happier. By the time hubby returns home from work, tired and somedays fuming for something happened at work, I am happy I have enough energy to listen to what he is talking. So, thats my side of the story.

Bye
    Kwathi

7. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi kailash,

Thanks for sharing your details with us. It's great if we could stay with our kids at home and take care of things peacefully. I truly admit that kids need us at their younger stage. :thumbsupAnd I am happy that you can do this with your husband's help.

All the very best and wishes for your kids. God Bless.

8. kalcy

kalcy New IL'ite

Hi, me is working in Dubai..have 2 kids ..girl is in KG 2 an dmy son in Nursery.

I do lunch in te morning itself, and packit for kids and us.

Dinner will be something simple but nutritious for the kids. I somehow manage without any help..mostly my hubby comes late from the office.

I make my daughter do teh homework by herself and later checkit for neatness and mistakes which I will ask her to redo. With my son I will have to sit along as he is just a starter.

Sometimes the whole routine will be tireing, but always keep telling myself everything is for the good of my kids..even me working is to provide for the kids..and these endless tiresome days are also only a phase whcih will soon be over:).

This is the way I try and manage the hectic days...any new tips from you people are most welcomed.

Kals