1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Homemakers!!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mithy232, Jan 21, 2010.

1. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

This thread may be funny but I am just curious to know how home makers feel about being a "HOME MAKER"

How educated women who were working before marriage and stay at home after marriage really feel about their work??? Do you feel bad that you wasted your education or feel happy taking care of the family? Boring or interesting?? :)

2. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I am one of those full time moms who used to work before my daughter came. I enjoyed my work (The pressure, the appreciation of a job well done etc, etc).But once i became a mother didnt feel like leaving her in a creche and go to work so started staying at home, first temporarily then as years went by permanently. I have no regrets at all. I enjoyed watching my daughter grow up,being there for the family when they need me. I have been very busy all these years. Now that my daughter is in 11th and pretty independent I have lots of time now. I am now enjoying this stage also pampering myself doing things that I always wanted to do. Not once have I felt bored or felt my education gone wasted.

Angela123 and anika987 like this.
  3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I am one example of someone who wasworking before marriage and had to quit since DH moved to a different country... i do feel that my education is wasted and i am not busy every minute...at the same time i feel i am happy dat i could utilise this time for my DH by cooking lovely dishes for me,doing errands for him(i love this!!!!:) ),taking care of grocery shopping on most ocassions,taking care of the house entirely.... the list goes on..
    i think being a home maker or not is one's personal decision unless if it has something to do with legal reasons like my case(no work permit)......
    i shall definitely get back to work once i get the chance(i miss work too)!!!! and am happy that i got this time to learn a lot of things on personal front.

4. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Nice thread ...
    I was very very happy to stay at home with DS and take care of him. Feed him, bathe him, read to him ... but after he was 3, he loved to play with other children and I felt guilty that I was keeping him home and stunting his growth. Also felt guilty that I was wasting life by just watching tv and reading magazines and chatting away to glory. So made a very sincere effort, landed a job and put DS in fulltime preschool.

I am very happy and DS is very happy. Both of us are occupied now, growing intellectually and have a big friends circle. :thumbsup

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. meena2

meena2 Senior IL'ite

A lady of the house is the anchor to the family....JMO!!!

Agree or not, your education is always guiding you to bring up your kids and take care of your family.

Whoever feels just because you are not working and earning money, you are wasting your education.............I pity you!!
    That should not be the attitude in life. They don't teach you how to bring up your kids, treat your husband and get along with inlaws if needed, in school. No university award degree for these things in life yet these are the ones which are of utmost importance in life. And even if you have never earned a dime, you still can do it if you wish to but if you have not learnt to keep your family life stable..........BOY! You are doomed forever!!!

I have heard women saying, my own friends that if you do not earn then you will not get respect, will not feel like you have accomplished something, will not feel independent in life.
    But, I find these very women who talked like this are so insecure when it comes to their family life.

Again, I want to make one thing very clear that, this does not mean all woman who have careers, have messed up relationships and all who are homemakers have it intact.
    NO!! NO!! NO!!......THAT IS WRONG and I do not mean that at all.

It is only that we should never ever have this attitude that just because some woman does not leave home and go to office, means she is useless and idling.

And I always believe this ' Education never goes waste, It is wrong to measure it with wealth'.

Meena

magicwand007, Joyoflife and anika987 like this.
  6. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi mithy

this is a nice thread.

i agree with meena, that relating education with job and money is not right at all.

I too was working mom, my DD came, in our life, i was working till she was 2 and 1/2, then due to my DH assignment in different country i have to join, then the work permit problem, then came in my DS, by accident:),
    and now i am full time homemaker. I do enjoy tending to my kids, working with them for their homeworks.

Taking them to Balle classes, swimming classes.

But i enjoy working too, learning daily new thing, finishing challenging assignments, which give satisfacion of achievement.

i would surely like to go back to work, at the same time now i would not want to work full time, i will like to take partime, till my kids were at school.

Since DH is always submerged in work, (i am sure this is with most of them), we mothers are there for them guiding them, removing their fear and anxiety, moulding them, inculcating values.....

7. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

hi all,

Interesting replies!

Understanding each one in the family, fulfilling their needs, cooking and washing....omg home making is an art and quite challenging too. As meena said, no university teaches us. I agree with all your points meena :cheers

A big salute to all homemakers! :thumbsup

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. amazing

amazing New IL'ite

hi friends, i dont enjoy being home maker, i think u dont get that respect and u will not be financial independent to spend money in whatever u like, cant give buy anything of your choice and upon that u will have more expectations from everyone bcoz u stay in home without a job.what say?

9. meena2

meena2 Senior IL'ite

Amazing, I think even respect needs to be earned. You will not get it just because you have a job. There are ladies who hold good jobs but cannot send gifts or money to parents even if parents are in need just because their husbands will not allow them to. Even some ladies have to hand over all their salary and are given allowances for a month on personal expenditure........my friend is a typical example. She works in the in Bank of America and has been working for past 10 yrs. You can guess with that experience how much she will be earning. Her husband gives her $30 on personal expenses every month after she gets her pay check each month. If she wants to buy some really expensive perfume for her sister who is in India then you know how expensive they will be, she then has to save in that $30 2-3 months and buy.
    I mean do we call this "financial independence"?

KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  10. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Hi amazing,

I second meena, I have seen working women without financial independence and also home makers who are enjoying that. When you talk about Respect, I think that depends on the choice of friends you have. Some loves and respects you for what you are, some respects you for the money and the designation you own.

Nowadays, educated women staying at home are respected so much! :2thumbsup:

anika987 likes this.