Home Or Away?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SGBV, Apr 26, 2023.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

What would you do if you were given an opportunity to chose between (i) staying in a foreign land (ii) returning to home land?

I am currently living in a first world country with a diplomat residency visa. I can stay here with family as long as I work here.
    But my current profession is subjected to rotation once in 4 years; hence I will have to chose whether to convert my residency visa to something more permanent, so that the family can remain here while I continue my profession somewhere else or retire early and start looking for something else here.

There is always pros and cons of living in a foreign land. In my case, living with my immediate family and having mom around is a plus. This has become our home. Enjoying the luxurious life and excellent services is a best experience ever.
    However, both myself and my family are no longer excited about our weekly trips to the malls or restaurants, but miss family gathering, parties, trips, weddings, festivals and local food more.

If you have the money, you can enjoy best quality services elsewhere. Be it education, health facilities or luxurious and comfortable life style.

But the living atmosphere is something money can not buy.
    Such as no- nonsense neighbors, not poking relatives, no criticism, complains or gossips from family members, clean environment, non-judgement on the choice of cloths, style and gender equality.

Although we are trained to deal with nosy relatives and judgmental community back in our home country, the mental peace that comes with this kind of no-nonsense life is priceless.

However, life becomes boring when everything becomes a routine. Cooking the frozen stuff, eating very much the same meals, 8-4 job, 5-7 gym, same weekend programs, once in a while putlock and meetings with our community, and time flies like hell. By the time we reach 5 months after a vacation, we start missing home, food, hype, and everything. This becomes intense when there is a wedding or death or festival.

While enjoying many, we can't close our eyes on the silent racism, kids' loosing family and cultural values, eating unhealthy and prone to serious diseases (this is not the same for all, but in my case we have the luxury to eat farm fresh organic stuff from our very own estate, so anything we eat here makes us sick in the mind thinking of the chemicals)

But you are never bored at home. Life keeps throwing happiness and challenges every now and then to entertain your life at home.
    People from our part of the world dream to migrate mostly for the quality of life that is available in the west. The money, the opportunity to earn more money and the spending capacity makes the life in the west alluring. But money alone does not improves a life's quality. The satisfaction, happiness, the belongingness and the soul connection also improves the quality of life, which is mostly available in home only.

So, if you have the same opportunity (i mean money, and spending capacity) would you still chose to stay in abroad or return back to home country?

Your views will definitely influence my decision.

2. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

First world salary in a third world country offers you unparalleled luxury. Hope that helps you decide :)

sum14 likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'd choose "away" for the reasons listed above and for the kids' pre-college education.
    I thought you were posted in Egypt currently. You don't have to respond to this.

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

No, Egypt is one of the countries I manage, so I visit here frequently. But I am based in the HQ for now.
    Coincidently, I am in Egypt now for a week long mission:)

This is in my mind too :)

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I tell my friend who works in the American International School (New Cairo) that my friend works for the U.N. and visits Egypt often. : )

swarnamary and SGBV like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I prefer the US for many reasons. I also subscribe to the philosophy of blooming where you are planted. Even in India I never cared much for big gatherings and my extended family was anyway scattered all over the place, so we would all gather only once in a while.
    I like the clean environment, freedom, educational opportunities for my child and job opportunities for ourselves. We have incredible opportunities to travel and pursue our hobbies instead of constantly battling pollution and traffic. We have made good friends here and also keep in contact with our childhood and college buddies.
    We keep in close touch with our immediate family back home and may try to spend a year or two living back there during elementary school but we have no plans to permanently relocate.

SGBV, chanchitra and ProudIndian like this.
  7. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

My reply is similar to MalStrom. I like clean environment, good education, good quality of life in US. Plus no poking interferences from relatives, no competition, no show off, no shallow relatives friends like homeland. I love my home land and keep in touch with all. But for working environment, opportunities, food quality, peace, equality I prefer USA. I lived 25 years of my life abroad so I am used to of it. It will be hard to adjust now in home land. You can go and live for vacation to your homeland and think again.

SGBV and MalStrom like this.
  8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Home
    I'm waiting to move back to India permanently
    My soul and heart is there.

anika987, SGBV and mbharani like this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I already have some Indian friends in Cairo. Most connections are formed over Indian briyani in Cairo :)
    Haven't been to new Cairo area yet

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Many thanks for your views ladies. Much appreciated!

This is a huge difference between myself and you.
    I do care a lot about being with relatives. Most of the times, my home has been the center of gatherings, and we celebrate festivals and family events together with siblings, their families with some close cousins also join with their families.
    Most of my relatives live in the same neighborhood, and they often find a reason to gather, enjoy a BBQ party or a trip to some place together. We cook together or do putlock over the weekend. Life back home is so fun, especially for the kids who has a great gang of cousins. Hence we miss home.

This is not the case in Sri Lanka. It is very clean, compared to the level of pollution, population, traffic etc..etc.. of India, Sri lanka is mostly calm, beautiful, green and a heaven for most tourists. If you have the money, you can enjoy the paradise there in terms of environment. But the country has many other issues which is beyond repair.

Me too. And that's my top priority.

I too lived almost 17 years of my life in abroad. But strangely, I maintained my home always in Sri Lanka, returned there at least twice a month. Never missed family functions and gatherings.
    And I never lived in one country in this 17 years. but across different continents. So, I don't feel attached to any place other than my home.