Home made remedy for increasing breast milk

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by JayaJ, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Kumarimouni

Kumarimouni Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    iam mother of 7weeks lo
    my BM is not sufficient to my LO after 1month old
    so we r giving formula
    I have a qs that when we has to give cerelac
    thank u in advance

2. shalsraaj

shalsraaj Bronze IL'ite

Hey all,
    I am a working mom of a 6 months old. I take out my BM with the breast pump in the morning before leaving to work. To the max, I can take only 3 oz (90 ml) of the BM. Suggest me some way, I badly wanna increase the BM supply. My baby will be badly looking for it. I dont wanna disappoint him. Suddenly one day in the last week, I was able to take upto 5 oz, that too continuously. While the next day I was hardly able to take only 2 oz.
    Why does tis happen. Y is this so inconsistent.
    How do i increase my BM supply... Pls suggest me with the diet if u knw.

3. kirukiri

kirukiri Bronze IL'ite

hi,

couple of things that helped me/ can help to increase supply:

a) Lots of water, protein and calcium (took wheat porridge in milk, upma from broken wheat, etc)
    b) Shatavari gulam /shatavar powder - if Kottakal vaidya shala store is nearby, get from there.
    c)
    lauki (bottleguord, sorakai) . take as payasam, curry, whatever form.
    b) Sago (Sabudana, sagubiam), payasam
    c) Fenugreek, garlic, onion etc.
    d) Jeera paste (apply over breasts)- did not try, but heard somewhere

and finally: try feeding a lot, even if U have low supply. Body will get the cues and start producing more. Do not stop offering BM to your LO just coz you think that your supply is not enough.
    The supply takes some time to establish (1-2 weeks after delivery).Try feeding as much as possible then. Never think that you dont have enough supply or get tempted to give formula/supplement. Any stress will further reduce the supply.
    My elders tried to tell me that I dont have enough milk, initially. But I persisted, and thankfully, got a supply enough for my baby.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I think its way too early to start solids for a 1 month old baby Kumari. For both my nephews, we started only after 4.5 months. Check with your doctor.

5. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite

Hi!

Here is an article that will help you with some to do's to increase the breast milk supply. I hope that some of your queries will be solved through this feature.

IndusLadies - Get Over Breastfeeding Jitters with Improved Milk Supply

Also, here is another discussion on breast milk supply. Some of the answers here are sure to be of help to all you new mothers out there. Have a read and let me know in case you have any queries.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/l...ncrease-breast-milk-supply-3.html#post2486480

6. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Let me share my experience...

I had a very low/nil supply becos my baby would not latch initially during my hospital days.He was formula fed. I insisted for pump and was determined to pump frequently to increase my supply. I was doing OK at home, it was sufficient for him. But I wanted extra to freeze so increased the pump frequency especially between 1-4am.
    I also started taking fenugreek tablets, oatmeal porridge and lots of bread/rusks. I think these with combination of frequent pumping made my body to produce more (till 6 weeks I was pumping 9 times and then at the end of 10 weeks I was pumping 6 times in 24 hrs producing .) I have been told that establishing milk supply within first 12 weeks is very important.

I started feeding my toddler also, but still left with lots of BM.
    Now I am dealing with oversupply issue, it is really difficult with engorged breasts. I try to sleep through the night but once awake it is very very horrible. I feel like I am always hooked up to the pump.I stopped fenugreek tab, but still I could see increase in supply by every week.

But I feel very happy that I am able to feed my toddler and baby the best food...no regrets. I will keep continuing pumping as long as I can, but will drop a pump session to keep my sanity.

My intention to explain my side of story is to let other new mom's to keep determination and not to loose hope. Keep up the good work. Its all about supply and demand basis.
    Let me know if any further info is needed.

Thanks,
    Kavitha

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  7. pattumom

pattumom Junior IL'ite

Hi,

Nipple being too painful is a result of yeast infection...if your breast is also painful and has red color wedjes on some of its sides then it is a breast infection called Mastitis...please talk to your doctor immediately...God bless you!!

8. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

Hi kavitha

I am a new mom and i had more rusk. My dd pooping schedule has changee i thought because of rusk she is not pooping and i stopped to eat rusk. Once in a week only she pooping . Rusk is the reason for this?

9. Varisha

Varisha New IL'ite

Wow great knowledge

10. hijibiji

hijibiji Bronze IL'ite

eating oatmeal only increased my supply, and I stay hydrated all day. but my appetite increased and no weight loss since 1 mo postprtum (now my baby is 3.5 mo)