Home Made Curd Smells Burnt Because Of The Burnt Milk Added.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by gknew, Apr 23, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I uses to make curd at home. I did a batch yesterday. I boiled the milk in a different pan yesterday. The bottom of the pan was burnt and I didn't see any difference in milk. I cooled down the milk and added curd.. I used to make curd in instant pot. So I placed it in instant pot.
    Today, the curd is ready and it was so thick but it has the burnt smell. I don't want to throw off this curd at this current situation. I am trying to use it. Can we use the curd with the burnt smell? What can be done with that curd? I am planning to use if for any marination. Anyone had any experience like this before?

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Ihave had occasions when home made curd was made with burnt milk, often very slightly burnt. Still the flavour of the curd is completely lost and is very difficult to comophlage the same . However I once made "mor koyambu' i.e. with ground green chilly, ginger , coconut added . It was eatable. If the smell is really strong, there is no alternative than to discard the same I feel. Lets see what others have to say

sarvantaryamini, Sunshine04 and gknew like this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you.
    Mor kulambu if the nice option. I didn't think of it. I will try that. I will see if the smell subsides or still the same.

joylokhi likes this.
  4. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

You can search for Dahi Kadhi recipes, they can probably be made with the yogurt you have on hand.

gknew likes this.
  5. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Hi, it happens in almost everyone's homes once in a while I guess.
    And no matter however whichever way you try, it will taste bad. Its better to discard it than use it.

If you still wish to use, if the burnt smell is very light then you can make punjabi kadhi or majjiga pulusu/ mor kozhambu by dominating the smell with spices and tadka.

Or, you can blend 2 ripe bananas n curd n make a noce deep conditioning hair mask for you.

Use this curd for face packs n hairpacks.

Personally, I would rather go without eating curd than force myself to eat a curd with burnt smell.

gknew and joylokhi like this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the reply!!
    I did make an another batch yesterday and it was good.
    I didn't discard this curd yet. I won't eat it either. Hair mask is a good idea. Thank you.

joylokhi likes this.
  7. FreshDewdrops

FreshDewdrops Bronze IL'ite

Make pakodis with it

gknew likes this.
  8. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

You can use it in several recipes like Mysore bonda, rava dosa, rava uttapam, moor Kuzhambu, Raita bonda, Doi maach,Chicken 65, curd muruku,Dahi baingan,Dahi chicken.As someone mentioned if the smell is too bad better to use it externally for skin and hair care.

gknew likes this.
  9. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Same happened once and DH was so pissed, I started microwaving after that. Use a milk cooker if you want to boil it really bad. Just fyi, nonfat milk doesn't get burnt easily unless you put on a high flame. The only other way is to start on a very low flame and boil for 1/2 hr. If you are using electric stove, then milk cooker is a good option.

gknew likes this.