1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Holidays, Tsunamis And Upright Members Of Society

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 21, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

"We are going to Mahabalipuram" announced the older sib. "We shall visit you for a week. We'll attend all the various receptions and pack off the next day. We have booked two rooms, so you can come with us too".

I loved the idea. A few days by the beach! I love going and soaking myself in the sea. I have probably mentioned earlier what a criminal waste of beach and sea water it is going there with the BH. He refuses to let me go anymore than knee deep and if I want to swim, he insists I sit down in the water and he will hold my hand till I feel like a dog on a leash. "I don't know how to swim and if you drown I can't come to save you" says the gallant man! "But I can swim and don't need any saving" I say to ears which are firmly shut without earplugs.

I badly need an outing. I have had enough of my room, my students, my work and youtube. Youtube certainly does not score high when it presents one with infinite predictions of tsunamis anywhere between the date you plan to land in Mahabalipuram and the end of the year. "There is a very high possibility of a tsunami" I inform the sib and bil. There is no response. My nephew says "don't worry, the astrologer has asasured you 80 years and mom 85". Now that sounds really optimistic. I don't know which is worse! 80 years of the best with the risk of developing Alzheimers' or being washed off by a tsunami! Oh well! I think I'd still risk the Alzheimers'. I don't particularly enjoy water entering my nose, especially when it is high in salts!

Talking of salts, I need to check my BP. Being married to a doc is enough to give one a headache, but going to visit his friends in hospital can give one reason to cancel a trip to Mahabalipuram. So I cancel the trip. "You can still come" says the sib seeing my sad face. "It is not too difficult. Just 6 hours by train and a couple of hours drive from there by cab". 8 hours of waking up at unearthly hours to catch a train (never mind the fact that I still did to see them off! :) ), sitting upright in a train and then in a cab, dragging suitcases along ..... I just realized a very important fact of life "I am not an upright member of society." Certainly not upright enough to travel. I get a lot of pics from them from Mahabalipuram. BIL is no better than the BH. What is it with men? So I see the sib standing in water enough to lick the soles of her feet. I chide her for that. Next day she gets wet upto the knee! Yippee! Finally some good sense dawning.

There has not been any tsunami thus far. I get bored at home. So I pack off to work to see what tsunamis of brilliance our students decide to unleash on us in the exams. At least I can get some tax free entertainment while also getting paid for it!!! :p As for Mahabalipuram, the beach will have to wait for me. Don't get washed away in any tsunami until then, dear beach!

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,

Delightful write-up!

Aapke our beach ke beech bahut saare baadaein! Yeh toh sarasar na insaafi hai!

3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Lovely Write up satchi...
    You should have accompanied your sister for the beach. Such Breaks are definitely needed for our daily routines.

satchitananda likes this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Loved the write up satchi. This was a chance for you to get your much needed break. Especially, with siblings around you would have been cared for where required. However, only u know your physical condition, endurance levels i suppose. Hope u get an occasion soon and are in perfect health to enjoy the seaside and beach.

5. satchitananda

Thanks a lot Geeta. Haan beach aur mere beech mein bahut faasla hain. Hopefully that can change! Love your play on words. :)

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. satchitananda

Thanks Anisu. I know. Wish I could have gone, but I was exhausted. Did not want my holiday to end up as a torture for me and a headache for sis and bil.

7. satchitananda

Very true! Only when one is not feeling upto it, it is not fair to take a risk - sis and bil are both senior citizens with their own health issues. Let's hope I get to go there again and have good fun, but I hope I go with friends rather than with BH! I'd love to get soaked in the water! :)

8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Loved the post.
    Missing a trip to mahas - must be painful, I feel you friend. But mahabs is not going anywhere, next time have a rollicking time - go all out knee deep in the sea. It has been ages since I went, makes me nostalgic.

The tsunami scare had my dad up in arms for my Thailand trip which coincidentally started on 12th dec - the predicted date of tsunami. Explaining to him I was going to northern Thailand and the nearest sea is a couple of hundreds of miles didnt make a difference to his worry level. Men, Sigh !!

9. satchitananda

LOL SunPa. Am glad I was not the only one watching all these tsunami predictions! What is it with men and the sea? I am beginning to churn a new theory in my mind. All those who drown in the sea during some lifetime are reborn as men in another lifetime and are so traumatized they refuse to let their near and dear ones go near the water. And to think it is men who want their kids to be toughened and play rough games and scrape a few knees, hands and elbows!

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

You should have taken a break, I mean break from your routine (I need to be careful of what I say here especially when you are talking about staying erect in the train for 8 hours and traveling by cab for another 3 hours) to venture into Mahabalipuram. This is a good time to travel to Mahabalipuram and soaking in the ocean waves makes it much more attractive.

You establish friendship with one person in Thailand and another in Andaman & Nicobar Islands and call them before you hit the beaches. You can also take photographs of the beautifully-carved stones and write a wonderful snippet for all of us to read. :)

Viswa

kkrish, Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.