1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Stress

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 18, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]Ughhhhh, it is soooooooooooooo hot. Hot in more ways than one. The weather , for one, is hot. I feel like I am also sitting in life's "hot seat" at the moment and getting roasted on various fronts. I NEED A CHANGE. I want to run away. Now where can I go to? Good question. I want to go somewhere where it is affordable, where it is far away, where it is beautiful, where it is peaceful, where no one knows me, oh well where Life cannot find me. OK, so which is the furthest I can think of? Let's say the US is the furthest from here? (Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Geography was never a strong point). Well, looking at the map on a globe, irrespective of whether I go eastwards or westwards, it appears that Samoa is the furthest I can go (File:Samoa on the globe (Polynesia centered).svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - of course unless I choose to go to the east coast of the US across the Pacific or to Singapore trans-Atlantic and trans Pacific. But that is scarcely the idea, nor would that be very economical!!!!! Now there is a very good reason why the Island of Samoa caught my eye (of course apart from the fact that it promises all this: [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG] - I can spy a "Samosa" no matter how small it is printed anywhere at all. So what does it matter if it lacks an "S"? But now here is the glitch. Samoa might be a good place to visit, but Samosas are (so I am told, not good for those aspiring to go to Samoa). At least their official airlines do not approve of such stuff. No, they do not particularly like the likes of the Big B either - no, they have nothing yet against his height, but apparently they do not take kindly to those bingeing on the things that Big B advocates we should eat (if I should believe Kamalji). They hate the letter B. Biscuits, butter, balushahi, burfi, butterscotch, ....... Those who love such stuff and show unmistakable evidence of its effects can safely stay away from Samoa Airline. For now the airlines has decided fat people pay more. Thin people pay less. Pay by the kilo - whether it be your luggage or the permanent luggage that walks around with you. (rticles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-04-16/edit-page/38556546_1_bharat-p-bhatta-passenger-weight-weight-issues) So what's the big deal you say? Take some other airline? Well here is the problem. Other airlines are already more expensive. So it is a no-win situation for the likes of me. Whether I pay more to say Lufthansa or BA for their name or whether I feel happy to have found an airlines that plays it fair, the likes of me will always find our pockets lightened considerably. (See what reading a newspaper can do to you? It only adds to your worries. That is why I do not indulge in such activities, but what option does one have when one is waiting for one's turn to be massacred in a doctor's clinic? At such times, reading the news is a welcome diversion from the "anticipation" of all that one has to hear once the door of the cavern housing the white coated gentleman opens).

Now BH also being one of these white coated gentlemen, does not particularly like all those extra pounds on the wife. No, they are bad for health. They lighten his pocket in more ways than one: the money paid for the food, the money paid to remedy various maladies resulting from that food, having to face consequences such as the possibility of some day having to pay more to transport wife on an airline which might have picked up some business tips from the above said airlines.

But I do not understand him. (Surprise, surprise, he is after all a little green fellow coming from the red planet isn't he)? He has been telling me I need to drive a car. (It's probably cheaper driving down somewhere nearby on a holiday and he won't have to get a driver :-/). I have always been petrified of doing so because I am scared I will end up killing somebody on the road and land up in jail. I can't handle gears and want a small, automatic cars. For years I had my eyes on a Reva. Hubby dear does not like it. It is too small and will get bashed up very easily. The other day his cousin's wife was travelling with us in his car and we were discussing the Honda Brio. This sil and I were waxing eloquent over the backside of a Brio and how attractive it was, when Monsieur suddenly throws in a bombshell saying "no, it's not particularly attractive. Too flat". :shock::drowning :spin :rotfl He likes the back sides of cars nice and rounded, but the wife should look like a scarecrow in the fields with a tent flapping on her!!!!! Coming back to the car, isn't it the "lesser car, the cheaper"? Besides Reva being an electric car would have some concessions on tax (non-polluting vehicle and all that)?

Never mind all that and back to the holiday. I want to get away from this heat and go to some cool place. The BH would want to go somewhere warm. (God, must you have such a perverted sense of humour)????? This blooming place is so hot and I asked him to switch on the A/C in the car the other day. (I was positively sweating in the A/C reception of the clinic - agree there is something abnormal about that). He tells me to go lie down on ice. shakehead He seems to be in a "deadly" rush to see me on an ice block, doesn't he? :rant I always knew BH was a "serial" killer. He comes back from work when I am watching a serial and makes me turn down the volume :bang, he is a killjoy - does not let me eat all my favourite foods or at least launches off on a litany of why I should avoid them when he catches me with my favourite chocolate or a spoonful of the most delectable ice cream in my mouth, does not like travelling to cold places .......

So where do I go for a holiday? Oh forget it. This "holiday stress" is getting too much for me. May be I shall just lie in front of the telly till the serial killer comes home and transmit all my stress to you.[/JUSTIFY]

7 people like this.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Consider me transmitted already ! Here I was innocent minding me own business and you come along and transmit this holiday stress to me.
    Now I have to start wondering where I can go?:twisted:
    White coated gentleman.. this is really a new word.. you mean Doctor?.. and little green fellow coming from the red planet.. omg you have me really splits..:shaking:
    These lines of yours are really the best....
    "back sides of cars nice and rounded.. and wife looking like a scarecrow with a tent flapping ..":biglaugh
    I am gonna save this; it is the Bestest I have read.. more so I can relate to it too :eek
    BH is a serial killer.. LOL.. omg.. ROFL.. the poor guy. After readin this my sympathy is with him;:crazy
    And being kind to him I would suggest you come here for a holiday and
    give the poor guy a break :biggrin2:

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

:rotfl Am so relieved Chitu. Finally, someone onto whom I could offload that stress. What are good friends meant for after all, eh? Now that I have such a kind offer to host me to offload the stress on BH, you will be writing here about "Atithi tum kab jaoge" very soon. :-D

4. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Ha Ha Satchi, you had me in splits.

With my whole heart I can invite you, but I know Chennai will not be your furthest or choicest in this scorching summer.

Now my son grown up and geographically good, has train timings at his finger tip, is able to plan so well, I had to persuade the selectively lethargic green little fellow to let him do. That's my stress.

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rSatchi,

You know the best holdiay place. ? A fellow i lite's place, is th ebest, free stay and free food, and a new place, and the i lite will take u around town too, and show u the best places to shop and eat all the junk that Amitabh advocates.HAHA

Seriously, that is not a bad idea, u save on hotels, food, etc, while getting good company, and it can be on a reciprocal basis. u just cant take , and then refuse to give, so this is a give and take business.what say!!!!

Also i used to see an advt of some AC, where a guy is sleeping so soundly,tha t he says i love this Ac, for if i dream of switzerland, i am there, if i dream of this place i reach there, of course in my dreams.

So i think u too get the brand of AC, and u can holdiay all yr life for free.HAHA

Hows that !!!!!

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Satchi let me join in too.......
    From last 2 months I am behind him atleast now that you are back in india let us go somewhere for a nice hoilday but wonderful never ending work never gets completed at all.....Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Satchi let all poor souls like us join together and go for a lovely holiday leaving our wonderful DH back home with they second wife, let they work takecare of them.....hehehe

1 person likes this.
  7. bubblygal

bubblygal Platinum IL'ite

Dear satchi,
    Now i badly want a samosa!:)Kidding what a write up!Of all the 3 activities the only one difficult to understand is how will you transform into a mermaid?Holidays are stressful always not cause i have to decide what place to go, cause dh would act as if we are in a hurry to come bck home even before wee start for our holiday grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Talking about extra baggage i am glad indian airlines arent contemplating on this . As it is get to hear a lot from dh cause whenever i visit my mother i end up paying extra for the excess luggage and if they charge me for the excess weight i would faint!:(
    The tv thing yeah i normally watch aaj tak when i am low , and its fun only when the tv volumes loud esp when they scream 'dekho dekho us criminal ko dekho, mujhe mat dekho!" dh would come with several reactions at a time and in the end he would switch off the tv!
    i like Kamalji's idea of going to a fellow ilites home for a vacation!:) So whos inviting me???????????????????:)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Hi Manju,

so sorry for the delay in replying. I was truly waiting to visit Chennai - not in this season of course - wild horses would not drag me there in this heat. But I was certainly hoping to visit during Navarathri or in December. "Parkalam" (let us see). Best not to make any plans and to live one day at a time. :-D

Good idea, so you have a junior green fellow to off load your stress on to, eh!!!! LOL.

9. satchitananda

Now that is a very original idea Kamalji. Just your style, I would say. :-D But you are right. There are times I just close my eyes and I am in whichever place I choose to be - e.g. in Pune, visiting my favourite haunts, my much loved streets. And the best thing is nothing about has changed. No trees pulled down, no houses missing, no new multi-storey high rise buildings to replace them. They are all the Pune I lived in. So what more can I ask for, eh?

10. satchitananda

Good idea Aruna. If I manage to come to Mumbai in December, our common friend has offered to take me for this walk where someone shows you various birds and explains about them etc. So we can go together. As for longer trips, not a bad idea at all. We can go together on one of these conducted all women's trips. It will be great fun. I believe there are also some women's groups which go trekking, travelling etc. Of course, trekking is now out of the question for me. Hehehe. :-D But whatever is possible ......

1 person likes this.