HIV test before marriage registration?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by lahari, Mar 19, 2006.

1. lahari

lahari New IL'ite

iladies,

Goa is thinking about making HIV test mandatory before registering a marriage. When I read about it, I was ambivalent about this policy. On one side it is good as it can help control the spread of HIV. On the other hand, it starts off marriage with some very difficult conversations between two families and two individuals. What are all your thoughts?

Lahari

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

all for HIV testing

Lahari,

I think it is a good move. Rather than lead to embarassing discussions between, future in-laws, it will actually eliminate such situations. Now, parents can always say that they want the test done because it is legally mandatory. And both sides can proceed with peace. (Of course, some forms of HIV may be dormant and not show up in the test, that is a different question).

Over the last ten years, the Government has been giving HIV tests to foreigners who wish to marry Indians (a couple of friends/cousins had to compulsorily undergo the test on these grounds). So this is just widening the locale- especially in a tourist ridden place like Goa.

Before marriage, we would expect the future couple and families to reveal all their details. Some families even object if there is a history of diabetis or muscular dystrophy in the family. So this is a welcome step.

cheers
    Vidya

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  3. ridhi23

ridhi23 New IL'ite

Very Wise Move..

I think its a very wise and smart thing to do.. there is nothing shameful about it.. its high time we start giving importance to such issues in our day to day lives...rather than matching the kundalis the HIV test should b done..who knows what the outcome will be..many times people themselves dont know for years that they are HIV + . Why should an innocent partner be doomed in to the world of HIV because of this. Also in cases where the couple is in love, the HIV test should be done then too.. If ur partner truly loves u he/her will not leave u because of this..they will understand that in todays world they are ways to be safe and healthy and such couples should not have kids otherwise the kid might be HIV + too.and thats just so wrong. If people resist having the test done then it just shows 2 things..either there is really something fishy which they want to hide or it also suggests that they are uneducated and uninformed and one should avoid both the kinds.

Be safe always...
    Ridhima