Hinduism believes in reincarnation, then why annual rituals?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sihi, Nov 30, 2006.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

I thought, u did it Chitra!

Dear Chitra,

When I saw Sihi's thread, actually I was searching for Mukoor Narasimhachariyar's book. I was unable to locate the book, since we shifted very recently to a new house. I thought somehow I would buy the book and answer the thread, but to my dismay my computer was down for past two days. Though I was able to read the threads in the forum, I was unable to reply, some problem with the computer. I felt very bad for not mentioning that book. All matters related to Pithru Karma is very well defined in that book.

Today my computer got alright, and when I saw your reply I felt very happy for a nice explanation and for mentioning Mukoor Narasimharchariyar's book. And moreover your magnanimity of giving chance to new comers - I loved it. Than u.

Vanaja

1 person likes this.
  2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sihi !

Again, I write, since nobody else has !
    Your argument seems fully justified. But we must also remember that according to Shastras, ladies are, rather were forbidden also to chant Vedas ( now the schools of thought are different , is besides the point ! ). It is purely because they are biologically considered " more delicate" than men and the strain of chanting loudly, the voice coming from the "nabhi" is more than what they can physically cope up with.
    Even for a simple Homam or puja ir giving "dakshinai " to the priest, the wife has to drop a tsp of water on the plate - only then it is considered valid. So we can assume that each was allotted a different portfolio in the larger interests of society !
    All that you have mentioned make good sense, Sihi.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

My dear Vanaja !

Thankyou very much for your mail.
    Regular reading of Deivathin Kural & Mukkoor's books, answers most of our queries, there is no second opinion about it !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Read your expalnation to ihi's question....simply superb.....and thanks to all the discussion, Vidhya has posted a valuable link. I have saved it and propose to start reading them .....
    I too feel that this equality thing is carried too far...we do have our constaraints and in the same way men also have their limitations. Thats the way the world has been conceived and if we can accept and perform our duties , that should itself be more than enough....this is also strictly my personal opinion, only!

5. Chitvish

My dear Sudha !

Thankyou for your nice words.
    We learn so many things, browsing through Deivathin Kural & Mukkoor's books. It is so enjoyable. But locating a particular topic of your choice in either book is not so easy !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

As usual leaves no room for doubts!

Dear Chith,
    Your explanation of rebirth and thithi is so simple that there is no need for any doubt. You have done such thorough reading to clear the doubt. I do appreciate the effort you enjoyably take to find answers to our queries.
    Regards,
    Meenu

7. Chitvish

My dear Meenu !

Thankyou very much for your words.
    You said it right - I did enjoy the efforts, I took to find the answer & write !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Hello Sihi !

Wow,
    The above question has been answered by you in a fantastic way.
    There can be no better explanation than this one.

9. bchandra2008

bchandra2008 Bronze IL'ite

chitra has aptly quoted from "Daivathin Kural" and I cant add more to it

Anyway my 2 cents

In Pitru Loka, earths one year is equal to one day there (We now know the year is different on different planets ) ;; Thats why SHraddha comes once a year; So if a person performs the annual rituals say for a maximum of 50 years he has fed his ancients only for 50 days which is very small

Probably reincarnation takes place much later on this time scale

Hope this line of thought answers ur question

10. praticp

praticp New IL'ite

Hi,
    I had a small doubt. In brahmins when they perform the annual rites it involves changing of the sacred threads. I was wondering how do the other religions/non brahmins perform the annual rites since they donot wear a sacred thread.