Hinduism believes in reincarnation, then why annual rituals?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sihi, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sihi !

I waited for one full day to see if somebody else is willing to answer. Now that our forum is flooded with newcomers, I thought it is only fair that everybody should have a chance to answer in any forum !
    No answer was forthcoming: I did'nt want your question to be completely missed, it being an important, pertinent question. So I decided to go ahead, finally !
    Thankyou for the F B .
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Dear Vandhana !

When you read Paramacharyal's books, you can think of only such comparisons - your thanks should go to him.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Thankyou, Radha V !

Remember, basically we are all lay people & not shastric experts. I am glad you are able to understand the concept better, now.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

My dear Vidya !

I mull over Deivathin Kural, very often, I simply love that set of books !
    You are too appreciative of me in your words; God wiiling, I must deserve them in some janma !
    For your information, Mukkoor Narasimhachariar's books, a series of 7, called " kurai ondrum illai" are equally absorbing.
    Advantages of continuing to live in Tamil Nadu, Vidya !!
    Thanks for your mail.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra,

5. Chitvish

My dear MOHANA!

In our shastras, every action has a purpose behind it. These rules have to be respected at any cost - undestanding them will help us enjoy, performing them whole heartedly.
    Thanks for joining us.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,

The next time I come to India, I shall try to get hold of Sri. Mukkoor Narasimhachariar's books. Everytime I read the chapters in Deivathin Kural, I learn something new, so I read the chapters over and over again. They are priceless isn't it?

I am waiting for the translation of it to be released, I think they are already in the process, it is called "Voice Divine".

Looking forward to more "gem" articles from you.

Regards
    Vidya

PS: Dear ILites, if you can read tamil, please visit http://www.kamakoti.org, click on the Tamil section and you can read almost all the volumes of this great series called "Deivathin Kural" and most of your questions regarding our Gods, Culture, Tradition and Religion will be answered.

7. Chitvish

My dear Radha !

What you have written is very correct.
    In my post on the daily duties of a Hindu
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2877
    I have written about this.
    This comes under Pitryagna.
    Srardha means, that which is done with faith. Faith is very important. We must also follow the rules laid down by the Shastras correctly. When we write a letter, we don't say " I will write the address I like; i will not bother to drop it in the letter box, because I have a better box at home !" Will we speak thus ??!!

I am happy to see your F b.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Padmavathi

Padmavathi New IL'ite

Why female should not perform shrada? !

Dear Chitvish Madam,

I am new to his forum:wave but really enjoyed and felt so good for having joined such a good forum.

I had seen u participating so lively in every matter and answering all queries sent to u:clap .

Now I want to ask u something why females don't have right to perform shrada to their parents? What if the parents have only daughters and no sons, then who should perform this to them?

can u please explain me?

padma:confused:

9. Chitvish

Hello Padma !

Welcome to I L , our beautiful forum.
    You have raised a very controversial question, for which I am not competent to give an answer. In the context of modern day, it is a very delicate subject.
    The simple answer is that our shastras & traditions, have laid down such a rule, barring women from performing Srardha. I, as an individual, follow Paramacharyal's words & do not attempt to do anything that is not approved by him. There are many women priests in Maharashtra & like places. Perhaps their gurus have given them permission.What I write below is srictly my personal opinion:
    Very often people do not know where to apply the principle of equality & where not to. It is wrong to contend there must be sameness about everything, that all things must be equal. To pursue an arbitrary kind of equality means the denial of happiness on the individual level, but also jeopardizes family & social level. Period.

Now coming to the second part of your question, in some families the maternal grandson ( if he is the second son) is allowed to perform.
    Otherwise, the wife of the deceased or his daughters, just invite brahmins on the thithi day & give them vasthra & bhojana dakshinai or feed them. The women in our communities do not have the right to perform thithi.

The subject being very delicate & controvesial, I would prefer, not to be drawn into any further discussion.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Mrs Chitvish is right Padma.....but thinking about the matter why females are not allowed to do the thithi (this is my personal opinion) I am wondering is it because usually ladies cannot all the time be able to perform the thithi...like during their monthly cycles or maybe when they are bearing a child, after pregnancy, when they are nursing the children etc. During those times they are not supposed to stay hungry for long time and also that will introduce stress to both the mother and her children. I think that might be strong reason why our elders strictly said that ladies cannot perform the thithi. Nowadays people interpret that in the wrong way and think that is a equality issue.....which in my personal opinion is not. I believe its really for the benefit of the woman and her children our elders put that rule. Not many mothers in this world can stay hungry almost whole day to do the thithi and not nurse/feed her children...isn't it? We all sure respect and love our parents the most, but being a mother we also love our children equally.

It would be interesting to know what others think about this and if they have any other views on this matter.

Warm Regards,
    Sihi