High T4 During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by PSpavi, May 6, 2016.

1. PSpavi

PSpavi New IL'ite

Hi all
    Im 14 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (TSH -5.64) T3, T4 being normal. I was prescribed thyronorm 25mg and got conceived. Now latest thyroid function test showed TSH is 0.5 but my T4 has increased to 13.8 which is way too high. My doctor is away until 2 days. Has anybody experienced this? Is this ok? Please help me!! Really bothered!!

2. Shri211

Shri211 Bronze IL'ite

Hi I had the exact same problem some weeks back..my doctor then asked me to stop thyroxine medicine for a couple of days...I haven't had my throxine for last two weeks and now my levels have come out normal..
    Apparently during pregnancy our body produces HCG which is almost same as thyroid hormones thats y some people go on hyperthyroid state...
    I would suggest stopping the tablet for two days till your doctor is away or consult a new doctor meanwhile before u do that. Doctor might reduce Ur dose further or stop it completely for a week or two..

3. PSpavi

PSpavi New IL'ite

Hi Shri211
    Thank u for your reply.I really thought to follow you and test after few days but I contacted doctor through mail she said its normal for T4 to increase during pregnancy and doesn't really cause any kind of problem. She even asked me to continue thyronorm dosage. She said if I stop thyronorm my TSH would go high and my hormones do vary because of my PCOD problem. Anyways thanks for your feedback dear. Stay happy always :)

Shri211 likes this.