1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

High Sugar Levels.

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by sanjuruby3, Nov 3, 2016.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

My dad in India suddenly got very sick and came out its Typhoid and very very high sugar levels. He had sugar problems before and he never did take any precautions. I am restless now.
    What are the remedies and home/ nature care remedies or store bought medicines that might help him? I might send him some stuff from US if you suggest?
    He is too weak to walk right now. And plans to visit doc.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Sugar level should not be treated with home remedies. If it is not controlled and is at higher level it will pose risk to life.

You may have already done but if not get him evaluated by an endocrinologist and see if he needs insulin.

The Dr should refer him to a dietican who would give a list if diet to be followed like foods To eat and to avoid . Follow that religiously.

In my opinion , limit carbs and include protein in each meal , 5 -6 meals through out the day an walking after each meal will help .

sindmani likes this.
  3. mani75

mani75 Silver IL'ite

Sanjuruby,

Wishing your father speedy and safe recovery.

For medicine it's best that his doctor prescribes.

For diabeties these are a few home remedies to help reduce and control sugar fluctuations.

1. Methi seeds - roasted and powdered. He can take half a tsp every morning first thing with warm water.
    2. Raw garlic - if he can also have a couple of raw garlic cloves small ones first thing in the morning.
    3. Reducing processed sugar from everyday food.
    4. Once he has recovered from typhoid - he can slowly start walking daily for 30 mins.
    5. Diet is very important - he should include fibrous vegetables, seasonal fruits, salads and various grains in his diet. Reduce dependence on rice.

Right now all that he can do is take light nutritious bland food to help with recovery from typhoid.

I wish you peace of mind and health.
    Mani

sindmani likes this.
  4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Sanjuruby,

please make sure this is done first. Your father needs to see a doctor ASAP and do a full health check up. He probably have to take medication to first bring down the sugar level.
    Diet and exercise greatly helps with diabetes. As for your father, he really needs to watch his diet. It would go a long way to maintain healthy sugar level.
    Also I don't think there is anything you can send from here.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

5. Usha001

Usha001 New IL'ite

Hi Op,

First of your dad need to visit the doctor and check if his sugar level can be controlled by proper diet plan.

1. Need to buy sugar level monitor kit, so that he can monitor after every meal.
    2. Need to decrease the carbohydrates.
    A. Sugar, White Rice, eatables that has rice content need to be avoided right away.
    B. Try to add Proteins instead of more carbohydrates.
    C. Instead of having white rice try to have Wheat bread, Brown rice, Wheat flour chepathi these things has less carbohydrates.
    D. Need to eat short and more frequent meals like for every 2 hours.
    E. Try to have like Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner as daily routine. Make sure you have at least
    Break Fast - 15g-30g carbohydrates + Protein (you can as much as you can)
    Snack - 15g - 30g carbohydrates + Protein (you can as much as you can)
    Lunch - 45g carbohydrates + Protein (you can as much as you can)
    Snack - 15g - 30g carbohydrates + Protein (you can as much as you can)
    Dinner - 45g carbohydrates + Protein (you can as much as you can)

F. Make sure you avoid Sugar, White rice completely until it becomes normal. or if your dad cannot then he can have daily once if the sugar levels are medium.

3. Try to see the label it shows the how much carbohydrates it has, so that he can eat based upon that.
    4. If you send sugar monitor kit from India or US. Ask him to monitor before break fast which is considered as fasting, After break fast after 2 hours, lunch after 2 hours, Dinner after 2 hours.
    So Daily 4 times if he can take the readings on paper and can check the sugar levels.

5. Daily small exercises also helps to decrease sugar levels after meal like a walking.

Hope this information helps you in any way.

6. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Sanju,

Infections do elevate sugar levels. He might have high sugar to start with but the infection due to typhiod may elevate it even more. So they need to get the infection under control before evaluating him for high blood sugar.

All the best dear.

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies.

He is better now but he does not take care of his health and hard core alcoholic. He has number of fancy excuses and sadness as reasons to drink.
    Infection must have elevated the levels very high. His infection was mis-diagonosed by doctor (I can not believe how doctors treat a human life there... I have terrible experiences myself ) hence delayed right medication. Now with typhoid medication he was able get to get off the bed for short time so he went back to drinking and eating sweets that he is well.
    No matter how hard my mother tries, he acts like a child and runs after sweets.

He has blood sugar monitor kit but that I had bought 7-8 yrs ago from US. I think they use it now but I do not how advanced kit is.
    I am checking various options here in US so when I plan my visit, I can take those things. Like any foods, pills or fish oils or nature care remedies.

8. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Sanjuruby sorry about your dad's health issues. The most important thing is unless he thinks this is a serious issue, others can't do much. My dad too has diabetes. He too didn't control much but after he had another health issue, he is controlling his rice/sweets intake though its not enough.

Ragi is the one that helped me so much with controlling sugar levels. Morning & Lunch he eats only those ragi balls. Not many will like that taste but if your dad is ok with eating it, try that too in addition to what other posters have said. Best wishes.

9. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Drinking after a Typhoid infection is not very advisable. It might become a vicious circle again. Typhoid to get completely cured takes time, and if his drinking aggravates the infection, the sugar levels may also get high due to infection.