High BP during TTC

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by tweenie27, Jun 12, 2009.

1. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

hello all,
    I primarily have White Coat Hypertention. My BP remains good when at home or other places, but significantly increases when at the doctors office.
    Hence, since 2 years i take Atacand HCT 32/12.5 once daily for my High BP.

Doctor asked me to switch to a safer medicine, now that i am seriously planning pregnancy- either with medical help or hopefully naturally.
    On her advise, i tried Atenonol 25 mg twice daily. (my OBGYN also said according to latest studies, its ok to take it in pregnancy as well if needed). But just by one day of taking it, i felt really low, depressed, and just knew this wasnt right. the next day i only took one tablet of 25 mg, but still didnt feel good. Had been charting my BP and it was coming much lower - like between 90/50 and 110/65 on an average. very rarely it went up more than that. I felt really terrible with it. Went to doc and she asked me to take even less- 12.5 mg once a day and see how works. I took it next day-- BP was still much lower- -same range as above-- and i didnt feel good. I know i shouldve let myself get used to it for sometime before drawing any conclusions.
    But i told my doc it doesnt feel nice and showed her the chart as well. she said if its so low, i should discontinue for a while and see how i do. I discontinued for about a week to 10 days-- BP would be below normal when i didnt think about it...but when i began to think that i am off medication now and it can go up, i felt anxious--and as a result it wud go up only upto the normal range... I charted my BP several times throughout the 10 days, and went to doc to show that i am doing well w/o it. I took once more before entering her clinic, it showed 110/62. I went in, and sat down waiting for her, but i guess i got anxious... and by the time she came to take it , it went up...
    she was surprised and happy to see my charts, but didnt like the fact that i get anxious. She asked me to take the 12.5 mg for sometime, telling me it wont bother me much at all.
    I did not. I just didnt want to take atenonol.
    frustatred, i went back on atacand - same old dose.
    Atacand might also have its side effects, but compared to what i felt with atenonol, i majorly prefer atacand.
    that brings me back to square one. Now what?! i have to swtich before conceiving. But what should i switch to? I know that methyldopa is the first choice of doctors for BP in pregnancy. But i heard it has even bigger side effects than atenonol. i am simply afraid of trying.
    I know that doctors advise in the qualified one, but i want some of you all to give me ur informal opinion about this. Do u know of, or have u taken any high bp medications in pregnancy? anyone who started even before conceiving? Which, according to you, wud be the best one to try?
    Honestly i do not really have High BP, but when i get anxious or nervous, it does go up...i dont know whether this kind of condition wud even qualify for all these medicines after all. but i figure that i have to take it, because i dont want to risk anything while pregnant.
    i am terribly confused. Wish i cud stay fit even w/o these.
    Btw, has anyone ever taken Mukta vati (the ayurvedic remedy for high bp) during or before pregnancy? any comments on that?? please help!!

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Tweenie,
    Welcome to this forum!

I am not good at these medicine... May be other ILs can help you out with this.
    All i found after searching in internet is 'Pregnant women' need to be cautioned when taking BP tablets. Here is one more from search: "Usually high blood pressure affects the growth of the baby well into the pregnancy, not while trying to get pregnant." May be these will help you.

I am very sorry in diverting your topic of concern!
    I never know BP will cause problems with TTC! I am with low BP! Did your gynec told not to use BP tablets if you are in TTC(Trying To Conceive)? I am interested to know it!