High BP before conceiving. Need advice!

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by tweenie27, Dec 19, 2007.

1. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

Hi everyone.

I am 35 and recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure. I am on medication for this. I am now going to try and start a family. I know i am late etc... but well, it just happened that we didnt plan before.
    I have a few questions.

Do u think its ok to become pregnant if i am a High BP patient? what kind of problems can arise during pregnancy. Any prob to the child? Also, i am on a medication which is not supposed to be taken in pregnancy. I asked my physician about it since i am trying to conceive, and she casually told me that its ok to continue this medication as of now, but once i get pregnant, i must tell her so she can change it. Well, by the time i come to know i am pregnant, it may take 2-3 weeks after conceiving. Dont u think that the fetus could be harmed by the time my medication does get changed? Dont u think my medication should be changed right away, while i am trying to get pregnant? I went to the pharmacist and asked her if it was ok to take what i am taking currently. She said that if one is pregnant, one should not take it at all, and that, thats all she can say about it.
    I really dont know what to do. I am confused and worried. I took apt with my gynaecologist to discuss this, but i got a month later date.

Also, even if i start to take the BP medication appropriate for pregnancy, do u think it could still harm my baby in some way?
    I am so worried.

I need your advice, friends.:coffee

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I had High BP during my last pregnancy but for me the BP problem started only after I got pregnant.I was on some medication for this and as you said,the BP medicines during pregnancy are different from those during other times.

Having BP during pregnancy is definitely not a good thing,for sure.It could affect the baby and uncontrolled high BP can lead to Preeclampsia which is something like fits for the mother.

The worst is my doctors told me that BP during pregnancy cannot be controlled too much by the pregnant mother.You could end up with preterm labour.I really don't want to scare you with all these details,but I just wanted to tell you all the facts.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi tweenie,

You need to be extra careful on the diet restrictions when you have BP.
    Medications for BP is different with each person. If you are prone to Wheezing attacks, you cannot be given the same as what is given to a normal case. So
    What i would suggest is go in for a cardiologist screening, who would give you a clear picture and also give you options on the medication.

You can have it under control during your pregnancy with the help of your doctors and change in life style.

All the best......

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Tweenie,

Could you please tell me the name of the drug you have been prescribed? I am a doctor (not a physician/cardio but a ped) and maybe I can help. It is certainly possible for you to have a healthy baby even if you have pre-existing hypertension. Also hypertension during pregnancy and pre-existing HT are 2 very different problems and require different management. So dont worry.

Vanathi.

5. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

Hi Sunitha, Shanti and Vanathi,

really appreciate your prompt replies. Sunitha, thanks for letting me know what u went through.that will keep me on guard on things. And dont worry about scaring me, i am already scared enough. so its ok!! :))
    Shanthi, i will check with cardiologist and get a good checkup done and take his advice. i had been wondering if i should do that.

Dear Vanathi,
    I am so glad a doctor came to my rescue here! Thanks a million for taking time out for me. Well, i am taking Atacand HCT 32/12.5 mg (this is what is written on the med bottle). I have been put on medication only a week ago, coz my BP has been on higher side everytime i visited the doc-- especially since the last couple of months. But when i used to take readings at home, it came normal more often than not. My doc didnt believe my machine and asked me to bring it there. And it came high with my machine there also! (i am happy that atleast my machine doesnt lie to me). I do admit i have a doctorophobia! whenever i am at their office, i get nervous.
    Vanathi, what do u think of the medication that i am taking? can i continue to take it till i conceive? and do u think i can ever come off it in any case, once i started it(whether or not i get pregnant)? my doc says i can, but many others say i cant. i would like to believe i can. High BP in my family is hereditary though. and i only woke up NOW, at 35, to take care of it seriously.
    I do exercise and diet (eat right, not starve), and try to take care of my health so i lose weight and improve chances of a normal pregnancy. But its going to take time to lose weight. i am 5 ft 2 inches with 188 lbs. i know it sounds as if i must be a round ball. but i dont LOOK that fat. i guess my bones are heavier..
    Do u think that i, at 35, with chronic high bp (though when i am relaxed at home, its usually normal, but how do i convince my doc about it!!tsk), i can go ahead and try for a child? i dont even know when i will be finally able to conceive or will have to go for treatment, if needed.
    i have bombarded u with lots of q's. sorry about that, but u c, if i have got hold of a ped, i wont let u go so easily!! :)
    bye for now,
    Tweenie

6. diwali

diwali Senior IL'ite

Hi Tweenie,

regarding high bp u can try pranayama { sheetali, sheethakaari etc} these will help u

alot in controlling bp.

wish u good luck!!

Sri

7. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

thanks diwali,
    ya i try to do pranayam whenever possible. havent done the ones u told me though. will those too. its just that i am sad i had to be put onto medication and i often wonder if i will ever come off it.

regards,
    Tweenie

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Tweenie,
    So sorry for the delay. My son wouldnt let me near the computer for long enough to reply to you yesterday. Since I dont treat adults, my recommendations are based on journals and advice from my DH and Dad (both adult physicians). Atacand HCT is a combo of 2 drugs - Candesartan and Chlorthiazide. The first one a fairly new drug - been around for the last 10 yrs. It has been definitley proven to be dangerous to the baby in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy but its effects in the first trimester are unknown. So the safest policy is to not take it if you are planning to conceive as yours would already be a high risk pregnancy (because of increased maternal age and HT).
    I would strongly advice you to see your doctor again and express very strongly why you dont want to take it. Dont stop it abruptly as you have already started it. There are much safer alternatives available and you can be changed over to one of those. If your doctor does not want to listen to you then please get a second opinion. I dont think a cardiologist is required at all. A regular internal medicine doctor is the best person to treat hypertension. How high is the BP? Most people have higher values at the doctors office! (So did i when i was pregnant despite being a doc myself!)
    To answer your other questions - if you lose weight and exercise regularly and watch your diet you may be able to come off the medication. Cant guarantee it but its possible. Also in order to increase your chances of conceiving and to have a healthy pregnancy a little weight loss would be a very good idea. In any case get an obstetric opinion ASAP.
    Personally I feel the most important thing in trying to conceive is to be relaxed and not get obsessed with it. This applies to both you and your husband. Dont feel guilty abt having put it off for so long. Have faith that it will happen and it will. Pls feel free to ask me if you want any other info/help. All the best and let me know how things go for you.

Vanathi.

9. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

hey vananthi,
    thankyou for your reply. And please dont worry about not getting back earlier! I have seen how tough it can be with a little baby around, calling out for you! but they are adorable little creatures :)) so i will not mind at all. Take ur time to reply.
    Thats very valuable of info you gave me about my condition. I totally understand that i will possibly be closely monitored, if i happen to conceive.

Alright, and Vanathi, about losing weight. I have lost 15 lbs in the last 3 months (as of this morning, i weigh 185lbs). I am trying to lose more obviously, but its going to take a whole lot of time to reach my goal.(my ideal weight should be between 110-130lbs). I am confused as to, should i only concentrate on losing weight atleast till i get to 150lbs or so before trying for a baby or should i try for a child now itself, go for treatments etc... As far as I know, diet/vigorous exercise and child planning dont go together, right? some say, i shouldnt waste time. Some say, i should shed some flab first. Thing is, i am succeeding in losing weight atleast till now. I dont feel like stopping or slowing it. i am desperate to have atleast one thing in my favour. But i also fear that it may take devilishly long time to come to even 150lbs. Every pound has swear'ed to be tough on me before going away!! huh.
    As for high readings of BP at doctor's office, yes!! thats one of my biggest problems. As i wrote before, when i used to take it at home (before medication), the readings were ok (more often than not), and the minute i enter doc office, no matter how much ever i try to cool myself down, i just cant help fearing what the readings will be. The result-- consistently high readings.
    Another imp question i had was about water. I drink 3+ ltrs a day. Now I read somewhere that too much water is also not good. this is so crazy. Is it true? i thought drinking lots of water is the key to good health and weight loss! (i do think i have water retention problem too, though).
    As advised by you, i will go back to my physician, and ask for a change of medication, and if she has the same answer as before, then i will get a second opinion.

I had a chest congestion/tightness in the chest when i began Atacand. (i had no cold or anything). Checked with my doc, she said Atacand does not cause it. I read on a website that it does. How confusing. Also, is severe thirst, especially around evening/night, another side effect of Atacand? and one last q, has my doctor not given me the highest dose of Atacand? I thought she would ask me to start with smaller dose. I asked her if should take half. but she refused. (a month before when i went to her, she had told me take half. but i never started the medication that time). I dont want to get used to high dose right in the beginning itself.
    I have taken apt with obgyn but earliest i got is in 2nd week of jan.

I dont know WHEN i turned THIRTY FIVE! i found on one website that the graph of conception possibility suddenly drops to below 50% as soon u as u turn 35!! its not so bad at 34 though. :coffee wow, so much difference in just one yr!! these days, if i have to advise any girl about life, all i will is -get married early and have kids early. (if they even want to have one). :))
    Hey i cant thank u enough for ur time and support.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi tweenie,
    How is the weight loss program going? Its a very hard question to answer - abt losing weight first before trying to conceive - I think I would try for a baby and maintain a healthy low-cal diet (lots of fruits and veggies and low carbs/fat) and moderate exercise (no running, but low-impact things-walking/swimming etc.) at the same time. Even after you conceive you still dont need to stop exercise or start eating high-cal food. If you are overweight to begin with then the amt of weight you need to gain during pregnancy is very small (I only gained 17 lbs and lost 20 within 6 weeks post-delivery).

Abt water - medically no reason to drink large quantities of water - certainly doesnt help in weight loss. Except maybe it fills your stoamch and reduces appetite! Just drink when you are thirsty. Even if you take more your body will get rid of it anyway.

Abt Atacand - my initial advice holds - change it ASAP.

Dont worry and feel bad abt putting off your baby until now. Things happen when we are ready for them.

Vanathi.