1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hidden treasures

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ohara, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ohara

ohara Gold IL'ite

Being young isnt easy. The other day my DH and PILs were telling me that we shouldnt make children privy to all our affairs especially money. The only children we have control over is my son and so thought that they were giving me parenting tips here. But well, apparently they have another child too - ME. So lucky me!! to be thought of as their child - I know I know I am already being envied but wait until you read the later part.
    My guardians as I would call them in this context, do not deem me old enough to be included in their discussions especially if about money - it is all done while I am away at office or behind closed doors. When I accidentally enter their room while they are counting money, they become all too careful and shut the bureau until I leave. If only I am on leave, then PILs lock their room. Properties are seen and bought and I am not even informed.
    All the other affairs like a pooja, a get-together or arranging a nanny for my son - I am the last person to know. Such guarded behaviour however is not necessary because neither am I a thief nor was I raised in the gutters.
    Maybe they do not know how I feel about all this so I told DH and he must have told them like he does everything else. Oh! but they all forgot again.
    I am no fool and neither are they, they know what they are doing.
    I care a hoot about their hidden treasures- it is never going to be of use to me anyday. :thumbsup

Do u have any hidden treasures to boast of ?

2 people like this.

2. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

OP , dont worry some people have this attitude....I dont think there are hidden treasures in my family.......Even if there are I dont have any interest as long as the treasures do not negatively affect me

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Take a stand.... if its about something that involves you, refuse to participate because you were not informed earlier. If its a party, arrange to be outside for the whole day. If its nanny, apologize and send her away. :rotfl

I don't know whether I have hidden treasures or not. Because we stay away from them, its easier for them to hide. I did hear DH talking over the phone; something about some land somewhere....... :coffee

4 people like this.
  4. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

it hurts to be excluded like an outsider from financial matters .though i am least inclined to listen to these talks ,if i am purposefully shut away it is infuriating especially if it concerns my/Or my DH money. You have every right to be kept informed related to your money matter decisions. May be you should be more assertive and make it clear that you are not a child or dumb to be kept in dark regd money matters. Start with your husband and make your displeasure clear when ever you feel like you r sidelined but being silent about this is definitely not going to help you

2 people like this.
  5. coolpinky

coolpinky Platinum IL'ite

Ah ohara, , right post at the right time. This is what wss going my mind since two days.
    Forget finances my pils dont inform me anything about their best kept secrets.
    Even my dh is good in that. I get to know few things through the sms' s exchanged between the brothers. Upon confrontation dh attacks me in reverse that I dont tell him anything.
    Dh gives me prior information of few things in advance which are highly important.
    I got to know that ils have stopped searching for girl for my bil and would start only after September this year. I got this information from dh's cousins wife. My mil has told her mil it seems.and many such things.

2 people like this.
  6. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

I have more of hidden skeletons in their closet... since all the treasures are meant for their DD.
    Once my H told me... every family has dirty linen... yours / mine... it doesn't mean I'll wash them in public (meaning in front of you wify...)

I said no problem... now you were the only one who assured me positively when I mentioned "BUT there's no LOVE in an arranged marriage" :cheers

They infact inspect our HIdden treasure ... our purchase files and are happy only if they see 80% swiping by DIL.....................

MIL has such a heart to give to her DD + her family, that am ordered to get out of the sight on pretext of feeding a child or cooking or cleaning..... so that the J factor is ruled out.... but then conspiracy of world against her :coffee... sometimes the gold coins leave their hands and come rolling into my room or sometimes their own daughter flashes her heavy gold set in public function being given to her when MY kids were born and I was sailed off with a 5gm pawn broker's coin.....

Retired ppl rt.... DIL is working... DD is not

2 people like this.
  7. shashiumesh28

shashiumesh28 Senior IL'ite

yup..it should not matter if they r doing getting land or purchasing some other things.. with their own earned money....but if its ur n ur hubby money u r right to ask dem...even same happened in my home when i was living with inlaws..there bureau was in my room..they used to open when i am not in home....n bureau key wil b hanging around mother in laws neckk.....like mangala sutra...i wonder she some times doesnt wear mangala sutra but for sure she wil wear key bunch around the neck :) ...abt maid n alll apologize and send her away. so that next time they wil involve u in that matters.....

1 person likes this.
  8. ohara

ohara Gold IL'ite

It might be their money but what is the point of being sooooo careful with someone who technically belongs to the same family. Well, If it is the "My money, My wish" attitude then they should not expect to be notified of what I do with my money.

Sweetshreya, I do not have to decide to not participate in parties/occasions, they even used to make such decisions for me or choose not to invite at all. Just an information will be given.

1 person likes this.
  9. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

I bet MIL has a suitcase full of hidden treasures(its her jewels & cash) which she sends away to her DDs place when she is away at native. If she is going with DD, then she is ok hiding the suitcase to a friend's place in the same building but doesnt risk to keep at home with me & DH around.

Ours is a love marriage much against their wishes & happened only coz DH took a firm stand. So that time a lame excuse was that they cant spend much as they were not prepared to marry their dear son so soon. MIL also told DH that she used one of her gold set to make a mangalsutra for me(some tradition running in their family). DH was too touched by her gesture. What he did not realized is that he offered to pay for it but they asked not to. Then once MIL had to go to native all of a sudden & surprisingly forgot to hide her treasure bag. DH happened to notice it & thoughtfully tried to hide it in her cupboard & it opened. I am still shocked & surprised that she left the bag unlocked with us(me) around. There came out ''n'' no. of gold sets, chains, probably few sets which she got from her mother.....& a few thousands cash. That was the time DH realized how he was fooled when he was told mother dear had to use one of her sets for mangalsutra....Probably she did not want to invest for me & thought of using old gold.

2 people like this.
  10. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

DG ... my case is a bit different... on my first visit to SILs place post wedding... she invited me to her bedroom.. come let me show you something..... she opened her locker.... and started opening boxes.... there were some 7-8 heavy gold sets and few small ones... and MIL was sitting like a Queen...

SIL went on... this is what I got in my marriage from my mom, but your mom gave you only few small ones rt... I said yeah... office wears and not soap opera ones.

Din't tell her... but apparently I was born in a family who thought that entire gold is to be given to DIL becos she's the one who stays and takes care in old age... and married into a family who feel everything has to be given to DD cos only a DD takes care of you in the old age....
    Finally am hoping that am relieved of Old age care :hide: :hide: for either set.

4 people like this.