1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anandchitra, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Aishu22,

Just did all the cleaning for the summer, changed soil, added myfamous manure and took some snaps to show i grow lemon,banana,hibiscus along with roses, kanakambharam,omam, curry, vritschi poovam,malli.
    Btw, that lemon is one i rescued from my road outside our gate, when the road was being layed., cut little of the roots and have given it a chance and looks like it has adjusted...(thanks tulasi, for the encouragement)

In the pictures you can even see the famous manure bucket....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi
    The pictures look great. All the plants are looking good too. The soil is the more eye catching one. It looks more n the clayey side to me but really looks good.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ac,

thank you.

It is a mixture of manure, and red soil and clayey. so the clayey effect is b ecause of the manure...

4. bhagirathi

bhagirathi New IL'ite

This tea is also very famous in Mexico, the dried hibiscus flowers are sold under the name "Jamaica" in the US (pronounced as Hamaika)
    Yeah, the tea is a bit difficult to get used to and it also stains the vessel that is used to steep it in. But I try to brainwash myself about its benefits before giving up on it ;)

Anyone else drinks this tea??

Regards
    Bee

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanthi:

The numerous pots that you have readied for summer is inspiring. Honestly feel like immediately rushing off and start working with pots and soil.

Sindhu

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sindurao,

thank you. but i am keeping my fingers crossed against the summer heat and also the maid i am arranging for watering the plants..as i am going out for vacation...

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    WOW..Great pics....Your garden seems so lively and good.Thanks for posting the pics.Now, i will get geared up for more plants :)

8. Jadey

Jadey New IL'ite

Hey... Can someone help me with tips to propagate a hibiscus. I tried stem cutting the 5 petal slender plant doesnt seem to work. Any tips!!!

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Propagation by Tip Cutting
    Tip cuttings of hibiscus require a moist and uniform 70-80 degrees F (or 22-27 degrees C.) atmosphere and well-drained media. Therefore tip cuttings should be taken during the warmer months, September to April being the most suitable time.
    Cuttings are inserted into a media of coarse, sharp sand and some peat moss, about 3 sand : 1 peat being suitable proportions. The sand should be washed clean with running water and allowed to drain. Then add the peat and mix together. Some crushed brick or similar drainage material should go in the bottom of the propagating box before adding the mixture about 5” (12cm) deep. Gentle even watering is needed to settle the media and then a nail or dibble stick is used to punch one-and-a-half inch (4cm) holes for the cuttings.
    Cuttings should be about 5-6” long. The cutting is cut cleanly across just under a leaf node and some of the lower leaves removed, a few of the larger remaining ones halved. Remember, the more leaves, the faster they strike! Cuttings should then be pushed gently into the dibbled holes and firmed (not rammed) into place. They should not be planted too deeply. The box should then be watered again.
    The lid of the propagation box, usually a sheet of glass, should not be closed down tight but should be raised slightly to allow some ventilation. The cuttings should not be over-watered, but naturally, you should not allow them to dry out or begin to wilt. Climate conditions govern the amount of water needed. The media should be kept moist but not wet.
    The propagating box needs to be kept in a place where the temperature stays fairly constant. In semi-shade of a shrub or medium-leafed tree where it gets filtered morning sun - an easterly aspect - is best. Roots should appear in 4-5 weeks. Once the cuttings have begun to grow well. allow more ventilation over several days. This gradually hardens the plants. Open the lid completely for about one week before transplanting out into 4” pots.

Hardwood Cutting Propagation
    Hibiscus strike readily from cuttings and will normally root in 4-6 weeks. Hardwood cuttings are usually taken in Spring-Summer (all year round if you're lucky to have a hot-house).
    Use straight wood, pencil thickness or a little larger. Remove all the leaves with secateurs and trim to approximately 4-6 inches long. With a sharp knife or secateurs, make a cut at about 45 degrees just below the eye or node at the base of the cutting. The base can be "wounded" by taking a sliver off the stem to expose the cambium layer 1-2 inches on one or two sides, a procedure aimed at increasing the area from which roots will be produced.
    The next step before potting is to apply a rooting hormone in powder, liquid or gel form. This step is optional but, if used, will promote earlier striking and a more vigorous root growth. The cuttings are usually placed in individual propagating tubes or small pots.
    Place cuttings in the shadehouse to protect them from wind and to prevent their drying out. Cuttings will root quite well in coarse river sand but the risk of this drying out is high and it is safer to add a little peat or perlite to the medium to hold moisture. However, various mixtures of perlite, peat and perlite, peat and sand, etc., have all been successful.
    Once the cuttings have struck, they can be potted on into larger pots using a good quality potting mix

Hope this helps :)