1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Hibiscus - wierd problem - please help !!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sowraj, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

the two buds fell off... very worried.. cant see them falling off like that...
    actually i added manure bought from nursery and after that only they have started to fall. could that be the reason.. b ut all other plants doing well with the same manure...

please help:bowdown

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    After putting manure you need to maintain right moisture also is the drainage good so that if you put excess water the excess will flow out of the pot...
    To maintain moisture during summer you need to spread cocnut coir on the top soil so that top soil doesnt get dried...

3. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

yes excess water is coming out... may be i will try the coconut coir idea to retain moisture...
    thanks for the suggestion....

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Hows your plant now n what method did you choose please update...

5. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

i feel... its too much of sun and less water .. even 2 times watering is not enough i think...

cos it rained here over the weekend and there are 2 flowers which is blooming and did not fall...

6. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

No luck again.. 3 buds fell off..

someone plese help... whats the problem

plant is fine growing and giving new buds but not blooming...

how can I check if everything is fine.. I am watering twice cos of the summer heat...

Gardners/ experts/ or anyone who can help or suggest please do.. I cant see them falling off like this...

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

oh no, still the problem persists eh?!

One question, what is the color of the bud when its fallen? yellow or brown?

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sowraj, I am not an expert however I did google :) There are quite a few informative links.

First off I believe you should let the soil dry between watering as the root can rot easily.

These plants ofcourse prefer warmth, so Sun is not a problem.

From you description, I believe there may be a pest infestation and I liked this procedure best to get rid of them - The most effective way to get rid of them is showering the plant with lukewarm water, strong blast, at least once a week

And here is another point that has to be noted - This could very well be the problem (oops just now realised that I don't know if you have th eplant in a pot or in the ground!!)
    Bud drop is often the result of drought or severe pest attacks. Some double flowering varieties are more prone to bud drop than other hybrids, why is unclear. Attention! Hibiscus in bud should not be turned because then the buds almost invariably fall off. If the plant has buds, and turning of the plant is desired for more even growth, then it should not be twisted more than 1/4 turn each time.

Here are the links from which I gathered information. i just pointed them out so that you can take some steps and read these links at leisure. I am also glad to be learning!

Hibiscus Care

Why are the flower buds on my Hibiscus falling off before they bloom? - Yahoo! Answers

Buds fall off before flowering! - Hibiscus Forum - GardenWeb

I am sure you will be able to have beautiful flowers. Keep us posted!

9. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Its in the pot... let me try the watering part... may be i meed to try the luke warm water method...

its really hot here so by the time afternoon passes the pot mud gets really dry by the time i water in eveinig... of course when i water in the morning its little wet so i water little less..

the color of the bur is fresh red color of hibiscues.. its not drying and falling off...

i have not read thro the links but will surely read and post the updates...

10. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Touch wood!!!! now my flowers are all blooming full and no more falling....

The reason i think is or the fix is.. when i water the plants now i water even the leaves like washing the whole plant... before i used to pour water just on the pot...