Hi y'all, May mommies!!

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by Lavanya, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Nice to hear both you ladies are keeping well. Geetha, good to hear what your doc said - I was waiting the last couple days hoping it was nothing. As for me, I still haven't started with fornight visits - 1 more visit before it becomes fornightly - may be doc is afraid to face my questions every fortnight! Big Laugh

Anyways otherwise I've been listening to some sessions organized by a store called Babies r us - they give some good info especially on different products and their pros and cons and then we can decide what we want to purchase. We placed order for baby furniture but its not due for another few weeks. I did buy a travel system and assemble the stroller - its fun to put stuff together so I enjoyed the li'l bit of assembly that it required. But I don't think I will be able to help with the furniture due to its weight and the amount of energy it will require from my part, so hubby gets all the privilege to do it. :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to put together lists so we can shop all at one or two go's rather than visiting the shops too often. We are thinking about getting 3D/4D ultrasound to look at our baby but haven't decided yet. My doc did a 2D ultrasound at 20 weeks which lasted for 5 mins and will not do anymore unless its medically necessary. So we have to see if we really want to do it outside...

-L.

2. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi Pooja and Lavanya,

Hope you both are doing good.

Pooja - Nice to know that you have started shopping for the baby. Every week we plan to finish the baby clothes shopping, but then decide to put it off till the next weekend. Guess we will do it when the time comes for it. I will start week 35 from tomorrow, and my due date is May 6th. I might most likely become an April mommy unless my little one decides to wait till due date for arrival. I guess doc will confirm after ultrasound next week if there is any likelyhood of the due date getting advanced.

Lavanya - What seminar sessions in Babies R Us did you take? I have registered for the diaper changing know-how seminar for today. I did look up their calendar of events only today and realised that I had missed the "Setting daily routine and sleep training" session, which I guess would have been very useful. Sometimes, I get the confidence that I can handle all this alone (Of course, with all the help from DH), but sometimes, I think that even with all the training and seminars that I can get to attend I may not know what to do if my baby cries. Getting jittery at times. Is this how all you first-time mommies feel?

Hey, have you both started packing your hospital bags yet? And, do you have a birth plan prepared or do you want to go with the flow of things? Started looking for Pediatricians yet? Also, if you have a list of things to buy, can we share our lists, so that we can see if we have missed out on something?

My friends here gave me a baby shower last week :p so my baby has some cute dresses already.

Take care friends. Have a peaceful and restful time and take good care of your babies.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  3. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Hi gals...
    Hope all of you are keeping well. With regard to babies r'us classes we attended the expectant parent seminar & the diapering know hows. Both were very informative for 1st time parents. The following is the list of special events in April :
    Apr 12: 11 - 3pm On-the-go Gear Expo - supposed to have many vendors in the shop who'll display different stuff and will also let you try/touch/feel so you can get an idea of what products you want to buy.

Apr 22: 7pm Nurture by nature baby seminar - a new seminar introduced for the first time for providing info about smart choices for a healthy and safe environment for you and your baby.

Apr 29: 7pm Soothing your baby seminar - teaches methods to soothe baby, etc.

Besides these special ones they also have regular monthly BRU seminars which repeat (diapering was one of them).
    Apr 3: 6.30 pm - Expectant parent seminar
    Apr 10: 7pm - Chiropractor talks about healthy mom and baby
    Apr 15: 6.30 pm - New born parenting (about 1 hr) & Breastfeeding seminar (about 45 mins)
    Apr 17: 7pm - Comfort measures for labor
    Apr 28: 7pm - Hypnobirthing seminar

Most often all the BRU seminars are done on the same date irrespective of where you go to - but its a good idea to check it ahead of time. Also you can ask for 2 flyers at the baby registry desk - April seminar series and special events series - that will give more details about what I've mentioned above.

-L.

4. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I didn't want to make the last post too long so I wrote about the seminars in the previous one. With regard to your questions Geetha, the instructors at BRU told me that "the newborn parenting seminar" will cover the soothing your baby seminar topics also and teach about sleep patterns etc. So if you can try to go to that one. Also another thing that may be useful is start a baby registry in BRU and its okay if people already gave stuff for your baby shower - when you go to BRU to finally purchase whatever has not been given to you but is on your list - its called a 10% for completion of registry list - so you can ask in the counter about it and even if they didn't send you the coupon to your home you can apply it by asking in the desk before you purchase and letting them know that you'll deliver pretty soon and you need the discount now.

I haven't packed my hospital bags yet - though I have a list for that too. I don't have a birth plan as my doc doesn't support that idea. Anyway hospital said that they will give epidurals even if you are 9 cms dilated and think you need it - whether or not it will kick in before you deliver is a different issue. So with regard to the hospital they don't force anything on the patient. My ob gave me a list of pediatrician's in the area and I chose 1 from that who is in my insurance and has good reputation - but here you don't get appointments or anything. You just have to give the name of the pediatrician when you get admitted for the labor and they will intimate that doc when the baby is born - if that doc is unvavailable at that time and there are no other docs in his/her practice then the hospital pediatrician will look at the baby. Only after coming home and at the first visit with the baby's doc will they ask you to pay and register the baby with that doc.

Hey Geetha, sure we can share the list of things to buy - mine keeps growing all the time :). If you want you can PM me with the list and I can tell if I have something different or more or less.

-L.

5. vidisha

vidisha Senior IL'ite

Dear Lavanya.....
    Thanks for the info regarding BRU events..It is very useful for first time mothers like me.
    Can u share ur list of things to buy ? Becoz i have no idea what to buy :hide:.
    And can anybody tell me which one is good? Washable diapers or Disposable diapers? or the cotton gerber washable cloth type diapers? and what type of diapers r u guys buying?

Thanks,
    Vidisha

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vidisha,
    Glad you could get some use out of the info posted here. With regard to cloth diapers this is my take after talking to many moms and doing a lot of reading about it - I personally will prefer to use the cloth diapers as burp cloths as they are thicker and more absorbent (you can start with a pack of 6 and see if you prefer them or not). But for the purpose of diapering I would rather use disposable ones as
    1. I don't have to launder that often, with disposable just chuck them away. Less work the better as you'll need more energy for taking care of the baby.
    2. Washable ones can have reactions depending on the soap used to launder them, so you have to do trial and error to find which doesn't bother your baby.
    3. There's higher chance of skin infections with reused diapers as they will not be perfectly clean and depending on the weather it could remain musty though you throw it in the dryer... its not like we are going to have a clothes line outside in our backyard to dry these under strong sunlight.
    4. With disposables we can buy 1 pack at a time try which one fits and is comfortable for the baby and keep moving on to next brand or model as the needs change.
    5. There are disposable ones designed even for sensitive babies, premies, etc... I prefer to use time and energy conserving devices if it doesn't affect the health of my loved ones.

These were things at the top of my mind. Anyway please feel free to ask me if you have any other questions. And so how many weeks are you now? How has your pregnancy been treating you? Also if you need you can PM me with your list and I can reply to that.

-L.

7. Pooja29

Pooja29 New IL'ite

Hi All,
    Hope all of you n lil one are keeping well..

Just few more days to go..

Geetha my due date is 7th May..when is your due date Lavanya & Vidisha??

Good that you all have started the classes.. I have not Attended any classes till now but thinking to do so..

Even I have not packed my hospital bag..as last time when I visited hospital, they told me not to carry much along . Just one dress for baby n mom..receiving blanket,bootie,undergarments ..Rest everything else will be provided by them..

Our marriage certificate to register our baby ..that my hubby can bring on the day of discharge..

I don't have any birth plan, just take it as it comes.. But I am going for epidural.
    Everyone is suggesting me that don't buy too much clothes for baby as they will outgrow fast.. SO best is don't buy all 0-3 months or newborn clothes.. As most of the time it depends on baby height n weight also..

I also prefer disposable diapers reason being.. they are hygienic, will not causes rashes n easy to use..

Take care
    [​IMG]

8. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pooja,
    Enjoy your time and relax well now. I'm not due until the 30th of May - only closer in May will I know if I'm going to be early or late or on time. I have a feeling I will be late... let's see. I will ask for epidurals too but it also depends on what stage I'm in, as if its too far along it may not be useful. But the hospital seems to work well with the patients requests so I guess it will be okay.
    Has anyone tried the pregnancy belt which gives support to your belly? I use it especially when I'm walking during exercise routine but I don't think my li'l one likes that - I say that 'coz as soon as I remove it he kicks more vigorously as if to tell me "finally I'm free". And now he has learnt his dad's voice and gets very rowdy during evening hours until he hears my DH's voice!! What can I say?? He sure has a mind of his own!!
    -L.

9. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I wanted to update something more - we went for the 3D/4D scan today and WOW is the word I have for it. It was great to watch how the baby is actually reacting and want kind of movements he really is doing. He was not so photogenic but we did manage to get couple of pics and looked in detail with regard to the anatomy and growth profiles. Its wonderful to have such technology at our disposal - kudos to science!
    -L.

10. vidisha

vidisha Senior IL'ite

Hello pooja.........
    My due date is jun 5th....Am very eager to c my baby..
    Baby shoping not yet started...
    do u know the gender of the baby?

All the best ,
    Vidisha