1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Hi Mom!" by Vidya Ramji

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Induslady, May 14, 2006.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Thank you,lovely ladies!

Dear friends,

Thank you all, for appreciating the first article posted in my name. It is nice that you all took the time to write back with your comments.

I have given a film roll to be developed today and should be able to post the photo soon.

Safa- that was a lovely poem and I now know where Farha gets her poet gene from. As you say, we all share our joys and sorrows with our mothers first, since moms are made for solace.

Meena- thanks for calling me the ‘most beautiful girl in the world’. Friends like you will put a radiance on any woman’s face. I am glad that you had a wonderful Mother’s day talking to Deepthi and your mom. And thanks for your good wishes.

Purnima- thanks for liking my style. I too wish I could write stories like Varalotti, but that takes true creativity which I don’t have. In the meantime, I have to be content with writing articles and consoling myself with the advantage that I share initials with the greatest writer of our forum- Varalotti Rengasamy whose initials are VR like mine (Vidya Ramji).

Sundari- Thanks for your lovely words. You are there for me at all times and your words of appreciation mean a lot. Coming from a beautiful woman of many talents, they are special. I already feel a flutter in my heart.

Kamla- thanks for liking my piece. I am your fan, your words ‘fly like a butterfly’ and you always manage to convey your emotions precisely. If I could write like you, it would be a blessing.

Sudha- thanks for the kind words. My mother made sure that I put all the references. She sat with me while I typed the piece and also used the opportunity to tell me her mind about my new hair cut and my tattoo among other things. It was her field day being ‘Mother’s Day!’

Mrs Chithra- Thank you for the kind words. When I wrote this piece, I had four persons in mind. My parents, you and Sr Bernice from fifth standard. The four of you have always encouraged me to write and have showered me with compliments and constructive criticism. Had it not been for all of you, I would not have attempted to write in my name.

Sr. Bernice is down with a paralytic stroke, but managed to get a print out of Hi! Mom from her doctor. I was referring to her when I wrote of the Catholic nun who says,’ You are my girl!’ When I was 9, keeping up with popular ambition in Kerala, I said,’ When I grow up, I want to become a doketar’. Sr. Bernice said, ’No, you want to be a writer’.

Hi! Mom is dedicated to all four of you and other moms in town.

Affectionately

VR

(Vidya Ramji)

2. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Re: u r making me jealous

Dear Vidya...

Superb....Excellent...outstanding.......terrific........(hey..hey...was just referring to the thesarus to descibe ur work.......)........"There are no good or bad mother.......and little changes over time....I love my mom"....very true Vidya...............u know Vidya I used to think in case i have a kid can i be gud mom.....can i sacrifice for my kid.........ur essay just gave me an assurance.......and to have such wonderful thoughts......................oh oh.....words are failing Vidya.........gr8 going.........

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

immaculate style, vidya!!

Dear vidya,

Hi mom made a good reading. Your words are as fresh as drops of dew in the morn. Each word reflects your vast knowledge on a spectrum of topics and your humility too. So true when they say "vidya dadaathi vinayam". True knowledge does beget humility and u have proved that and your mother has bestowed you with an apt name. Hats off to all mothers. I love my mother too.

Keep writing and share your knowledge with us. We shall all be very happy to receive.

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

thank you, AGR & Prathi

Dear AGR and Prathi,

Thanks a million to both of you for your lovely words. You are two of my comfort zones in IL, so your words mean a lot.

AGR- I also wonder if I will make a good mom. I still have a long way to go in being a good daughter and wife. But I guess, babies bring out the best in us be it as cuddlers or disciplinarians. Good luck to both of us.

Prathi- I will tell my mom what you said abt naming me right. Though I am sure at many times, when I goofed up in Math and Physics, she must have despaired giving me such an erudite name. And Prathi, we all love your mom for giving you to us.

Thanks again, AGR and Prathi.

warm regards
    Vidya

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Wow Vidya

Dear Vidya,
    That was an excellent piece of writing. I was so emotional,since I am so far away from my mom. Yes you have said it all right Moms should be placed in the highest pedestal. Being a mom you do learn a lot of patience,tolerance, and above all you learn to sacrifice.Keep up the good work Vidya! It is so soothing to read your article. Say Hi to your mom and enjoy your time with her.

Love,

6. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

touching

Vidya, that was a touching and informative narrative. Especially the mythology part - never knew that Ganga and Parvati had a child. We take our moms so much for granted - the cycle gets completed when our kids take us for granted!
    Although I liked the piece I found it a bit too profound and serious. Life is tough, so I don't like feeling weighed down further! This is not a criticism being levelled against you, it is more about my mindset and thoughts!
    Good going Vidya!
    Sharada

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sharadha,

Thanks for writing in. Abt yr comments- fair enough, it takes all kinds to make a world.

regards
    Vidya

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

enne karayichu

Dear vidhya,
    You are a gem, your write up is so emotional, true,touching whatnot. I have no words to describe my feelings. I wish I had a daughter to share this rapport (my son is okay but a daughter is a daughter, right?).
    Also, I too feel that one does not become a mother by giving birth alone. A woman who has a loving heart is a mother.
    Keep writing and try stories also. Think about sending the articles to other magazines here also.
    Give my regards to your mother. Both of you are lucky.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

ningalum enne karayichu

Varloo chechi,

Thank you for such a warm response. I have read about your strength and joy in being a mother and I feel so humbled by that. I am sure Aravind knows that he is a blessed son to have a mom like you.

Ningalum enne karayichu. Chechi monde karyam ezhuthiyappol njan onnu manasilakki- amma yaayal mathram pora, chechiye pole orugran ammayakanam.

sasneham
    Vidya

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Vidyaji,

Wonderful description of mother.Very very true.You write very well.

Thanks and regards.kamal