1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

hi ladies, yearly how many times do u buy sarees or dresses

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rojarani, Feb 24, 2010.

1. sridivya

sridivya New IL'ite

Roja, start expressing your desires to him. I agree with what ASG said.
    After all what is wrong in telling how you feel and what you want from your husband? Does he not express his wishes on some other things. So, dear do not get depressed and sad with how he is now, may be he thinks you are fine with how he is. Since you are not happy and like to be gifted sometimes, tell him. Start opening up more than earlier on your desires. Tell him you need that dress for the upcoming festival and you should go and get it.
    Husband should try to understand wife's feelings and vice versa but if that is not happening then we need to speak out.
    Be happy and good luck....:thumbsup

My side: I am fully in charge of all the general expenditure at home and dh is cool about that. Clothes, books, groceries, bills, vacations, whatever it is. Dh has zero knowledge about it. We discuss only the savings part and in fact I am not happy with his spending sometimes. Buying things for him is just swiping your credit card. He does not bother about the cost much. Infact for him if it is costly then it is good because quality is good and we need to buy quality goods.....I dont agree always.
    As for gifting me, I got surprise b'day parties couple of times where dh included all my friends. Dh is by nature impulsive when it comes to shopping. So when we go to mall and if he finds something he likes he buys for me or kids or himself. These days I fear going to the mall with him. Last weekend he bought a handbag for me which is so jazzy that I wonder when I will ever use it?? It can only be used for some big parites and I have none coming up, costed $45.....:drowning:drowning
    And I am the one pinching pennies here...:bonk:bonk:bonk

We are two opposites when it comes to spending....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. kinjal

kinjal Bronze IL'ite

nice topic...
    my DH dont like shopping...he start getting headache as soon as we enter mall...:)
    if at all he join me for shopping he will be sitting somewhere near food corner or will be in electronic shop.....

so most of the time i shop for myself as well as for him.

3. NewWoman

NewWoman Senior IL'ite

DH has bought me a lot of stuff diamond jewellery, handbags etc. But never clothes. I am kind of picky about clothes and he is not sure abt the size or if will like it. DH buys clothes for himself about twice a year and he cannot understand why women need so many clothes. But he never stops me from shopping for myself. He hates going from store to store looking for things for hours together. If we go to the mall together he will hang out with our toddler at the food court and let me do my shopping in peace. Iam a SAHM and I have 2 add on credit cards which I use when I shop so it is as good as him buying stuff for me. I went a little overboard with clothes shopping last year as I had lost all the baby weight. So this year Iam planning to buy only stuff that I absolutely need. I have a birthday coming up next month, so who knows :) Most women wait for their dh to take them shopping, which usually does not work. Most men hate clothes shopping and act like someone put a gun to their head. I have found that it is best to go by myself or take a friend along who can help me pick out stuff. As long as DH approves of the budget no problems here.

4. coolphani

coolphani Bronze IL'ite

I buy atleast one new shirt every month.....I go grocery shopping every weekend and I end up shopping for clothes. I don't wear sarees or Indian dresses that often so I survive on the ones my parents send me about twice a year.
    I have my own credit cards and am not a add on to any of the credit cards my DH owns. So it's like me buying clothes for myself:bonk.He never buys me anything but I do shop for him once in a while for occasions like his Bday .
    My DH says I earn a 6 figure salary so I can afford to buy stuff for myself and all the homeless people in this country. I find it weird. For me it has nothing to do with what I earn...I'd like to experience how it feels when I receive something from my DH as a gift...:)

I feel neglected when my friends talk about the gifts they received from their DH and I tell them I have received none...It hurts really bad..But I guess I shouldn't expect anything from him

5. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

My husband has almost never bought clothes for me. And I am totally cool with that. He's only ever bought them when I wanted something specific. I don't buy clothes too often either. They're a pain in the neck to find the right size and shape and fit of, then to maintain them. I really prefer to wear my used, soft clothes and wear them out. If we're both out, though, he always asks if I would like to buy something. I am too lazy to try clothes on. It's annoying when they don't fit. My MIL does send sarees and I think my SIL has bought more clothes for me than I have for her. I am not counting our contribution to her wedding expenses. That's her elder brother's responsibility towards her. She's the shopping kind and I hate all shopping other than for food. Food, yumm, food!

So, yeah, ask for things and thou shalt be given said things. And no resentment arises. If I want a "surprise" from him, I tell him that I want a surprise. Works out great for us! I may even drop a blatant hint about (read, tell him exactly what) I want as a "surprise". I'd really much rather he surprise me by cleaning the apartment or even hiring someone to do it. Or cooking a meal for me without my asking. My surprise for him - I made ginger tea for him this evening by the time he got home all soaking wet from the snow without his even mentioning it :). AND made yummy (if I say so myself) upma. What can I say, we like our la(zy)idback lifestyle ;-).

He has bought jewelry for me without my asking, however. There isn't a fitting problem there!

PS: My SIL's husband recently got her a diamond (necklace, I think) and I told my husband that he should learn something from that. His response: Wear the jewelry you have and then let's talk about it. The man's got a point :). Too much expenditure for too little value.

PPS: Bottom line - just ask your husband for what you want. If he isn't fundamentally against spending on his wife (if he is, it is just plain rude on his part), and he can afford it, he'll get it. JMO.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  6. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

I am very lucky in this matter,

I buy clothes whenever I find something interesting, even if it was a grocery shopping and if I find something nice hanging in the show case of any store or mall I'll immediately go for it and I have the full liberty to do so because DH has given me that freedom.

I usually dont make it compulsory for new clothes on any festivals but my DH makes it a point that I ware new clothes on my birthday and our wedding anni. he asks me 10-15 days in advance if I have got the new dress or should we go get it " so sweet of him"

7. Anuradha00

Anuradha00 Bronze IL'ite

Actually, my dh and my mil have terrible taste in saree / churidhar! So better they let me buy what I want myself. My SIL (hubby's sister) has very good taste (unique in her family!). I often wish she would choose clothes for me, she refuses saying that clothes are very personal and even though you like my taste I am not comfortable buying for anyone other than myself!

I buy sarees for my mother, mil and sil (hubby's sister) for all the special occasions and festivals. My mil and sil give me money as does my dh. My mother is the only one who actually buys sarees and churidhars for me - I am glad at least she is gifting me clothes instead of just giving money and telling you buy your own like mil and sil and dh!