1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

hi ladies, yearly how many times do u buy sarees or dresses

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rojarani, Feb 24, 2010.

1. rojarani

rojarani New IL'ite

Hi all,

Just out of mu curiosity, how many of ur dh buy's sarees or dresses for u... what r the occasions u buy clothes definitely... my dh never buys on my birthday nor even anniversary, nor even normal times he says that he doesnt like occassions to celebrate....by buying clothes... and my MIl never asks to buy any.... so just he takes me to temple for blessings of GOD... earlier b'4 marriage i used to do shopping of clothes... now i totally have lost complete interest in buying clothes....becoz if i ask my dh tells something ..... but whatever my parents give when i go their place i wear that only....

but i admire girls enjoying and feeling happy when their dh buys something and they wear, and i can see the glow on their face....

can u share it..
    bye

2. luckybychance

luckybychance Senior IL'ite

my dh never buys for me....but gives me money to buy...
    it is almost the same with every oone...

3. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Hmm I understand you must be feeling bad
    Before marriage every month I used to buy something or the other :)
    but now after marriage.. I bought was my birthday(a bought a chudidar) .. We did not buy for diwali and sankranthi and all.....and DH for his birthday... Not that DH doesn't allow. My priorities changed :tongue . Now I concentrate more on other things than buying clothes for myself . For my marriage I bought clothes and will wear them till they fade away and then think of buying again.
    [/JUSTIFY]

4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

hmm you know what my dad was a person who loves to gift people and i should say my mom was really lucky ..my dad whenever he goes out if he finds something intresting could be a saree or anything gets to my mom
    but on other hand when it comes to my dh
    he never gets anything..not that he hates buying but he wont forget about my in laws its far far off thought
    but i never mind you know people are different...as i am working i have my liberty in spending so anything i like so really doesnt bother me much

5. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

I think I am lucky in this case... My Dh has never stopped me from spending and we do not wait for any occassions neither is it compulasory for us to buy on occassions but whenever we find something good and worth we buy that be it for any of us or the family on either side. My MIL has always been fond of gifting me clothes on Bday and anniversary and at times gets some small gifts just bcos she liked it for me say some artificial jwellery as I love wearing them with my daily dresses.
    But yes my priorities too changed after marriage and specially after having a baby :)

6. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Prior to marriage when I wasn't working, it was strictly annual or need based purchase and was never on spend thrift side.

When I started working I used to buy 3-4 dresses every 4 months.
    After I got married my DH used to buy a lot of things and I shall do it for him. He used to get dresses for me whenever he went on travel etc or we went shopping.

After my MIL got pissed off with me... am back to my pre-marriage days, I would buy 3-4 dresses every 6 mnths from my own money, and now purchases are more for kids.

Whatever SIL/ MIL give on their annual visit is either not wearable to office (gaudy cheap embroidery+fabric... even my FIL once commented why do you give this to her.. have you ever seen her wearing this type of clothes? They simply pass on stuff thats not fit/wanted by SIL but given to her) or more than 3-4 times (fabric either pills or tears of even with manual wash).
    Mmy parents still know my choice and whatever suits they get it for me is apart from what I buy.

7. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Roja,
    Very good discussion!! I understand how bad you felt when it comes to occasions and you end up not wearing new cloths.
    After marriage, in the first year, it will be my parents gifting new cloths for all occassions to both us......sometimes they used to give money to buy cloths and wear. But in the second year, I haven't bought anything thought that my hubby will initiate discussion and takes me for shopping. Nothing happened like that. Then I took an U turn....whenever I find something good I started buying for myself as like before marriage. Used to go out for shopping with collegues and firends and buy. So, whenever I wanted to buy my hubby never restricts(Touch gold), but he is lazy in taking me to shopping. But, if I want to buy something for himself, I will bug him and takes out.

8. rojarani

rojarani New IL'ite

good ladies,

yeah dont wait for the dh to buy for u atleast they r accepting....i feel its good to wear on festival days as i feel its auspicious to wear GOD given things on that day.and show him how we feel happy for it....

anyway i dont feel to buy by nagging my dh as he told so many reasons to buy , but for my son whenever i buy i will keep them so that i can make him wear on festivals....
    i dont know what sort of human beings r my dh and mil... who always nags that she knows all the traditions how to follow except giving and buying things they dont know ....

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

My dh takes me shopping about once or twice a month (either that or I go alone). I don't buy any clothes though unless I see something I really like. We have been together 5 years and he still takes me out shopping and buys me stuff like when we first met. On Valentine's Day morning he hadn't got me anything, which was fine with me since we bought flowers together the day before. But then he surprised me by telling me to get dressed and ready to go out... then he drove me an hour away to my favorite outlet mall and bought me a beautiful yellow Coach purse.

But more than clothes, I like getting food treats. Sometimes before he comes home from work he will buy me my fav cookies or snacks, and when he walks in the door he won't have anything in his hands, but when I turn to look at him to say 'hi', he will reach into his coat pocket and bring out a surprise for me.

The only thing that has changed since marriage is, now I have his credit card so there's no asking for pocket money or anything like that. I want, I buy. The only thing I have to do is make sure the money gets transfered from his checking account over to my credit card bill. In the time we've been married he's never checked the bill or questioned my purchases. I'm usually careful how I spend though and make sure all our necessities are covered before spending on 'impulse purchases'. :)

p.s. If there is a function you need a new dress for, why not just say to dh: "You didn't buy me a new dress." If you want something, probably should just ask! Or if you want random surprises, you could say: "Dh, I like to be randomly surprised and pampered. Please try." You don't have to say it like a diva, just like the sweet and deserving wife you are!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  10. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Nice topic! Just yesterday we went to mall after work :)
    did not do any shopping on strict budget now after buying new house.
    just walked around and ate dinner.
    but in general we both go out for shopping together.
    he selects all my dresses. i love his selection.
    in case he goes to shopping with his friend and sees some cute earings
    he buys them for me.
    before baby i used to do a lot of window shopping alone.
    before marriage in India i used to buy a lot of dresses.
    but now preferences have changed.

Bye
    Archana :)