1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'Hey kulla, 1/2 ticket'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Elvee, May 28, 2010.

1. Elvee

Elvee Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]'Hey kulla, 1/2 ticket' That was what my kid was called the other day, but not by his peers but by the grannies and aunties of the neighbour hood. My kid is 5yrs old but he is only 102cms. He is small, yea very small, I know but there is no need for them to roar with laughter at that. I was mad, totally mad.What made me more angry was that this kid was laughing along with him not realising he is being mocked at. I lost my sense of control and yelled at him to come back indoors. Few days later one of that gang[?] was crossing my house and she told, 'this one here is ......' I was totally upset. Was i wrong then? Shouldnt they atleast be guilty? I wasted two days remembering their laughter. But that day, i watched 'Paa'. Everyone go 'gaga' about Auro, but to me his mom stood tall above all. The scene where a lady comes to her and asks what had happened to Auro and she explains with regard to some DNA, when i watched it, i was totally hit by a lighting. What the hell was i shouting for yesterday? It really is nothing compared to her problems. Ofcourse, it is only a movie, but the problem is the same, even more severe. I sat and thought, this is not the only teasing he is gonna get in his life time and there would be times, where i cant even enter his circle, So what should i do? Now i am telling myself to let it slide when people mock him 3 /5 times. Thats the best i can do for a starter.

But i still feel they were so mean to tease a small kid who couldnt even understand he is being mocked at :( [/JUSTIFY]

Similar Threads
    1. sulakshanasudha
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Elvee,
    It's sad to hear that adults were acting in such a manner. Yes, I agree things that kids get teased about sometimes remain with them through out thier lives. Hopefully you can have a nice chat with your son and assure him what a wonderful gift he is.

Regards,
    OOPALL!

3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Elvee , Some kids are tiny and delicate and some have good personalities even from childhood.Its according to their own body structure.I remember me being tallest in all my siblings.Even from childhood.So I had a nickname according to that and till today I remember how it hurt. Your kid even if slighyly smaller then all kids is precious to you. Tell him he needs to stop everybody from teasing him if they do it on his face. Sometimes a nickname given in childhood can carry scars well into adulthood. When somebody teases him in your presence ,do tell them not to do it. If you do it 2-3 times ,they shud get the message.Call him by a sweet name you want and do it repeatedly so he feels special. Do that too in front of all people who mock him and tell them that is his nickname and not to tease him like they do.Good Luck.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Elvee

Elvee Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your replies friends.

My kid doesnt realise the teasings. Its me who wrecks head because of it. But then i tell myself, that he may be short in height but not in his intelligence or heart.

Its just that i dont know if i was wrong at yelling at that time. Thats all , but now i really dont want to even talk about it when he is being teased cause, he should know to defend himself, else its no use. He's gonna grow so he got to stand for himself. I hope he sure does.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi elvee,
    this is because of that stupid ad on TV about some health drink to increase height.
    well, i am short & faced lots of taunts,comments because of it.in the end i realise i could turn tables by pointing to them their flaws like dark skin,fat.......etc.it did help &kids really stop when they are shown mirror themself.
    with u the problems are adults.talk to them calmly & tell them they are being mean...........try to shame them & if they persist tell them to try to change their fat,slow or any other physical so called lack in their kids/grandchildren...........but not infront of the child & remind them why u are not saying this infront of their child.

for ur kid give him lots of praise at home build his confidence & try to make him excel in some physical activity so that he is source of envy to other kids.
    i was a very fast runner & kids used to fight to take me in their teams.i would refuse to get into any team whose member has teased me.this would make them shut up the next time..............

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Elvee, I think you need to advocate for your child. A child that young does not know how to stand up for himself. I am not sure who you shouted at - your child or the elders. If it is the elders I think you were right to tell them they crossed boundaries of accepted behaviour.
    I would have walked up to them and reminded them how they will like it if someone where to call them "kezhadu". Instead of setting a good example for how younger ones should behave, they are encourage bullying, IMO.
    I would have talked to my child later, after removing him from the scene. I would have had a talk about what the elders said and how he should stand up for himself when he is being picked on and come and tell his parents.
    Once he knows what he needs to stand up for and gets some help at home on how he can tackle it, he will learn to fend for himself.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Elvee, Tikka has said it all.You need to boost your kids confidence.What can you do if somebody teases him when you are not there.He needs to stand up for himself.I do not understand what if people are short or whatever.:rantWhat makes the other person think he is superior if he/she is taller and what right do they have to bully others?That too elders?It is a shame.

Tell your kid what matters is staying healthy physically and mentally.Teach him confidence and how to handle such people.

8. kal123

kal123 Silver IL'ite

Elvee,'Paa' was an excellent example..If you have noted nobody ever bullies Auro in the film..even when he lies about Rashtrapathi Bhavan that small kids advice him and not tease him....but the real world is not that good....but please be like "Vidya" ..Auro is a lucky boy and so is YOURS and main thing is teach him to just ignore those people...

9. Elvee

Elvee Gold IL'ite

Thanks everyone. I have told my boy to listen and realise what others are saying and its upto him to stand up for himself cause no one else will. I totally hope he tries to do it from now on. Lets see.