1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hexadecimals -- only a click away!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Friends!

I don't know how many of you have played around with the upgraded blog tools created by the IL Team. There are quite a few interesting features in the new scheme, but for those amongst you who are familiar with or are interested in website building, there is a super-expensive object available to you entirely free of cost. It is expensive because few would make it available to you in such a user friendly fashion.

What do I have in mind? COLOURS!!!

So, suppose you want to choose a colour, say purple. But then you don't exactly like the purple that is immediately observable through a shop window, or in a garden. You say to yourself, "Well it is purple I wish to use, but not quite this one. I want something that is just a teeny weeny bit lighter. Not too light though." Well, where do you find that lighter shade, just the exact shade you are looking for?

Website builders have found the solution by representing a wide variety of colours (216, I think) from the deepest to the lightest shades, in a continuum as it were. And they do this by mixing colours with a little bit of mathematics. Just as numbers can be presented in different ways depending on your needs, colours too can be presented somewhat similarly by a hexadecimal code. You use six different components, composed of numbers and Roman letters, to describe each shade.

For example, deep purple is FF00FF. A slightly lighter shade is FF00CC and so on and so forth. Now, just imagine how many such six component codes you have to memorize to get all the shades you might wish to look at. Mind boggling, isn't it?

Well, you really can't remember them by heart. So, someone has to gift you a full matrix of the all the shades you wish to be familiar with and indicate the code for each of the shades. This is precisely what IL Team has done for you. Just go to the colour choice tools and you will get to see the code for each colour that you tinker with. And then go ahead and CLICK. The colour is yours.

You could have done the same thing by copying the codes too. Such matrices are available for sure. But with the IL tool, you just click. :thumbsup

Fabulous, just fabulous. Long live the Team. :bowdown
    If you want to know a little more about the hexadecimal representation of numbers, not colours, it is not too far to seek. Only a click away as they say!

A hexadecimal counting system goes as follows: 0, 1, 2, ..., 9, A, B, C, ..., F. In other words, you use 16 digits to express the complete number system, instead of the ten we are normally used to, viz. 0, 1, 2, ..., 9 in the decimal system. Of course, there are other ways of representing numbers as well. For example, the binary system uses only 0 and 1, ternary uses 0, 1 and 2 and so on.

When you apply this number system to colours, you are restricting yourself to three basic colours, red, blue and green (in that order) and then choosing the hexadecimal values to decide how much of each colour you want. If you do not want any red, choose 00. Then, if you want a lot of blue, choose FF. Finally, if you don't want any green, choose 00 again. What is the end product? 00FF00. That's deep blue for you! Similarly, FF0000 is deep red and so on. Lovely, isn't it?

I guess this is the principle TV monitors use too for colour resolution.

Do I sound crazy? :crazy Well, may be I am somewhat crazy by nature. Only yesterday Chitvish told me that I should let Time find me, instead of I finding time. She said other things too and I couldn't figure out clearly whether she agreed or disagreed with me. It's always that way with me. Never quite sure if one's yelling at me or singing for me. Soft in the brain you know!

But I think I have little trouble with time, whether Time finds me or the other way round.

When I saw this beautiful chart IL Team has gifted us, I knew that my time had been well spent studying it. Or, to use Chitvis's language, Time had spent me well! :rotfl

oj

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Oj San,
    What i find amusing is that you can make a post of Hexadecimals which normally i would have thought of using without any thoughts. You can make something out of nothing.That too with panache.

Iam afraid i can't say anything abt the upgradedblogs cos I don't have a blog. Compared to prolific writers in this forum, i feel very diminutive in my writing style, so i thought better be a lurker.

Just a doubt. Do you have a magic wand? Just with a swish of your hand, you churn out a post which nobody would have thought of.Big Laugh
    Jaya

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rOJ,

Well u can make even colours talk eh ! You are a magician , amnd i agree with all Jaya had to say in her comments, and i must say, u can even make a corpse sit up and read yr blog.

You made me smile the first thing in the morning, dear friend.Your wekk will go well bcs of this.Have a great daty a nd a week.

Regards

kamal

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Oj da,
    I am really a novice in the computer world..
    Your explanation of hexadecimals..i will keep this post as a referance...
    Time well spent or time spent me well...it is upto the time to reveal that :)
    sriniketan

5. ojaantrik

Dear Jaya-san:

Normally I don't write in a hurry. But last evening I did. It was Cheeniya's influence. He told me he never read his stuff a second time! Naughty chap. Rant Must have been scolded at school for not revising.

I tried to emulate Cheeniya and flunked! So, I saw an error filled post when I looked at it this morning. Edited them right away. I think it is easier to understand now. Good lesson for me. Never try to be Cheeniya. Only Cheeniya can be Cheeniya.

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I do enjoy it, as I enjoy almost everything else I come across in life. From pretty girls to lovely lizards to soul drenching music to dark clouds to torrential rains!! No, may be I don't love lizards that much. Except when I like them of course! bonk

Yes, I suddenly seem to have found new ideas to communicate. They are so many that I have forgotten most of them already! Big Laugh

All the best.

oj

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. ojaantrik

Colours do talk, don't they? You for one should know this, even if no one else does. Think of your i-pod lady in the park. Suppose she were to blush next time you appeared. Wouldn't her colour talk, even if she doesn't?? Big Laugh

And don't talk about corpses sitting up man. You scare the hell out of me. As it is, I am around 5000 years old. No, I think I am 5017. Anyway, I am too old to count that far. Lots of people think I was a mummy found inside a pyramid. I am myself a talking corpse. And you want me to face another one! Have a heart my dear fellow.

But good to know you smiled. Great exercise for your facial muscles. As well as the i-pod-wali in the park. :rotfl

How did your meeting with Cheeniya go? Will there be a post on that event? Waiting to hear friend.

Best wishes.

oj

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear oj da,

i too saw that the site has been upgraded and made a mental note to check out the new facilities but u have already come out with a post re that...:thumbsup

its always that way with me. Never quite sure if one's yelling at me or singing for me. Soft in the brain you know!

haha now u know why we love you and indulge you?:)

and what is this, just as i am searching your quote on the things u enjoy,i see that you have edited your post..anyway just wanted to know that i echo the same sentiments...I ENJOY EVERYTHING IN LIFE EXCEPT LIZARDS...i am a happy smiling contented person until i spot one anywhere and then my whole world turns upside down...

regards
    Mindi

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oj-da,

Leave alone the explanation you gave about numbers and deciphering colors through them etc etc, I don't even get the 'hexadecimal'...even the word is unnecessarily complicated!!

Me of soft brain and weak heart, spare me dada!! (now, hope that is right, don't say it should have been just da!)

Looks like the upgrade has upgraded your moods ?! This surely was full of humor, although I am mathematically challenged.:)

Earlier today, I had to think of you. Watched a movie called ' Anuranan', dubbed from Bengali to Hindi. Was a very sensitive subject about relationships. Was in line with some of your stories, full of unspoken emotions and pent up feelings.

L, Kamla

9. ojaantrik

Dear Mindi:

Yes, I am utterly :crazy ! Quite irresponsibly so. Don't forgive me, but do tolerate my tantrums please.

Or, as Merecutio had said in Romeo and Juliet:

True, I talk of dreams,
    Which are the children of an idle brain,
    Begot of nothing but vain fantasy,
    Which is as thin of substance as the air
    And more inconstant than the wind, who woos
    Even now the frozen bosom of the north,
    And being anger'd, puffs away from thence,
    Turning his face to the dew-dropping south.

:cheers

All the best my friend.

oj-da

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

HAHA

Neeting the great man today eveing for a drink and i am looking forward to it.i just hope this is not a dream.We two young men have a lot to talk about, eh ! I will have an extra drink on u tonight.

Regards

kamal