1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Hernia Surgery At Old Age

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by keerthinathan24, Apr 19, 2016.

1. keerthinathan24

keerthinathan24 Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends..
    Iam kirthi.... My father is at 74 now ... Unluckily he was diagnosed with hernia recently and got urination problem... So given tube and bag for urinating...
    Dr has advised hernia surgery but we feel about his age ... Any of our IL friends had this kind of experience of surgery at 70 plus ?

Pls share ...

2. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

OP,

My Father was 68 when he underwent hernia surgery.... But he was hale and healthy during surgery. (Touchwood)... he never had diabetics, BP and cholestrol..so the surgery went very fine and smooth....

Its been 3 years since we operated no issues for him still...

Check ypur fathers health before proceeding with surgery...I think sugar,cholestral and BP should be in control....Now a days, they do laproscopy also for hernia.... so talk to the doctor about it,

3. keerthinathan24

Thanks a lot for your opinion Deeprspriya... Even he doesn't have any of issues which u specified above ... Still considering his age we got scared in hearing about this surgery ... With gods grace and dr s advice we wish to go for it and wants to him to be back healthy ..,. Ur words gave me support n confidence to go ...
    Further one query local or general anaesthesia ... Which dr prefers for this age ? Which done for ur father ...?

deeprapriya likes this.
  4. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

My Father was given with Local Anaesthesia.... He was discharged in 5 days.. He had severe headache due to anaesthesia, but it was Ok after a couple of days.. He started climbing the stairs with in 20 days, when doctor said 'NO'... Even Doc asked not to lift wait.... But he lifted by DD who was 10Kgs at that time always... all this happed in a month....

5. keerthinathan24

Hi Deepapriya..
    Thanks for supportive words .. My fathers surgery fixed on coming Thursday ... Iam going to look after him on this Monday ... Pray for my father ...my friend ...

Being only one daughter now I feel about their loneliness.......without knowing ur face my father got guts after I told him about ur fathers positive effect surgery ...... God bless us...I will come bk after his surgery done ....

6. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

Sure, I will pray for your father.... he will recover soon...where are you doing the surgery?... talk to the doctor about your father's health....

7. keerthinathan24

Hi dear
    By gods grace hernia surgery went on well... In ABC hospital Trichy ..... He is fine now ... But after three weeks he has to undergo a laproscopy
    For urinary tract block ....hope he should be alright after that ...with no issues....
    Thanks for the support u have given me ... Still praying for the second one ...

Krithi

8. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Good to know that, the surgery went well.... take care.... Laproscopy is easy now a days...so dont worry... :)

9. meerasrini

meerasrini Platinum IL'ite

Hi Keerthi. Good to know surgent went well :) BEst wishes and prayers for his speedy recovery :) Need not worry dear :) Everything is simple nowadays.

10. keerthinathan24

Hi friends...
    Happy to share here ... That without second surgery.... With the help of only internal medicine his block gets reduced and he started urinating normal without urine bag n tube .,.
    All by gods grace and my moms love n care on him and also due to u like my friends ' prayers too... Thanks dears!

deeprapriya likes this.