1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Helping Hand > Praying Lips

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

This is the commonest phrase these days . Helping Hands are greater than praying lips . No offense to all the pious people around but the need of the hour is action more than words.

I wish to share this beautiful poem written by James Henry Leigh Hunt , called Abou Ben Adhem, with all of you. It a wonderful piece that has inspired me a lot and I hope it has some impact on the lives of each of us .:

Abou Ben Adhem May his tribe increase,
    Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
    And saw within the moonlight in his room,
    Making it rich and like a lily in bloom,
    An Angel writing in a book of gold,
    Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
    And to the presence in the room he said,
    'What writest thou', the vision raised his head ,
    And with a look made of all sweet accord,
    Answered the names of those who love the Lord,
    'And Is mine one?' said Abou,
    'Nay Not so' replied the Angel,
    Abou spoke more low,
    But cheerily still and said,
    'I pray thee then ,Write me as one who loves his fellowmen"
    The angel wrote and vanished,
    The next night
    It came again with the great wakening light ,
    And showed the names of whom The Love of Lord had blessed ,
    And LO! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

As it is clearly understood here , even the Lord loves those who love his fellomen.In the wake of the recent disastrous incidents in Mumbai between fellowmen and hatred being circulated and passed among people ,Hatred (a disease of sorts which only brings disruption to mankind ) is freely flowing all around me,squeezing out the last drop of humanity left and indulging in heinous crimes, Ben Adhem was loved by Lord because he loved his fellowmen. We need to understand the importance of our people . Doing something is very important rather than merely saying something. Very much like some politicians, suffering from verbal diarrhoea and ending up doing nothing.

This poem had a great impact on my life. i feel we should all try to do one good deed a day. Any deed , Any action that brings positivity in others life,Just one good deed a day brings a peaceful sleep at night . When retiring to bed the thought that I have done this, I have helped somebody , brings a smile to you lips and peace to your heart and it is reflected on your face. If we have forgotten our prayers on a particular day but have been instrumental in helping somebody we shall be doubly blessed. We speak so much about Karma ,Karma is action not words. Words that bring actions are important.
    Whe young children in the society fight , verbal, physically we elders go and shout at them reprimand them, and when neccessary slap them too. But what about elders all around us fighting ,irrationally, using their strength on the vulnerable ones.How do we instill some sense into them .? I hope we all can understand the importance of comradeship and companionship. Respect fellowmen. I hope the future would live and let live .I hope we have more Abou Ben Adhems around!!

God Bless!!

Devika

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Once again a very appropriate topic at the right moment!

Even we say that if we help our fellowmen it is the service to the Lord.

I don't know how many are there, but for those who are doing such things silently without any publicity--:bowdown:bowdown to them. They are Abou Ben Adhems.

sriniketan

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Yes Sriniketan,

Youre right theres more pleasure in discreetly helping than scraming from roof tops and trying to gain applauds. And a sincere thanx to all Ben Adhems.