1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

help with addicted extended family member

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by hydra, Apr 8, 2011.

1. hydra

hydra New IL'ite

hi friends
    I need some openion reguarding some issues.2 out of 3 of my dh brothers are drug addict my mil wants us to take care of them by us .my dh is taking one to detox center this month end cos he recently had car accident and suffered from ptsd .now my mil wants to put the other brother to stay with my dh.we r financally draging as i am going for my post graduation .but still inspite of all this thinking that its our duty to help since mil fil help recently with some money during my admission we are taking one to detox.I am really worried cos my husband is very sensitive and if the other bro comes and live with him ,,,i just hope he doesnot spread his bad habits to my family as i will not be there to keep and eye with my dh for next 3yrs and my collge is another state .please let me know how to tell my mil that its not our resposiblity to look after her kids .By the way me and dh have been together for 5 yrs and we decide to have baby only after i start earning so that we will be financially and mentally ready.
    sorry for long post ...but really need some advise/help.

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Your concern shouldn't be about whether your hubby will pick up bad habits. It should be that drug addicts will do anything to get their next fix including stealing and harming loved ones. Send him to a detox center if it means taking a loan. Don't let him into your lives.

3. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear

Never keep a person on drugs with you. It is best they are left at your in laws house and it would be good if you can render some financial help to them. It is horrible to live with a drug addict. They can do anything. They steal, play mid games with you for the money and can also get into troubles outside the home, which will make the cops come home etc, and in the end the person living with the addict becomes a mental wreck and it takes a lot of time to get back to normal.

I might sound very very negative, but experience teaches you a lot of things and I have learnt the hard way

Regards
    Uma:hiya

4. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Admitting them into a detoxcenter is the best solution or else you will have these and more problems to deal with.

Helping financially is the best thing you can do.

Your fears abt your husband picking up the habit is real and can easily happen.

5. goldeneyes

goldeneyes New IL'ite

I think best to send them to rehab. Wish they kick the habbit and get well settled in life