Help to speak in English

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Prithu, Feb 7, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Prithu,
    I just happened to see your post. If you dont mind PM me; I am a coaching kids and adults to speak English in a better way. If you are free in the day time, I am online all the time and I can talk with you and correct you through yahoo chat.

2. vista

vista New IL'ite

DAILY GRAMMAR
    EASY ENGLISH DAILY GRAMMAR
    PARTS OF SPEECH
    VERBS, NOUNS, PRONOUNS, ADJECTIVES, ADVERBS,

LESSONS-1 to 500

Lessons 1

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Verbs are the most important words in a sentence. Verbs are the first of the eight parts of speech that we will be studying. Most verbs are action words, but a few verbs indicate state of being or existence. The first lessons will be about verbs, and how they are recognized and used.
    Find the verbs in the following sentences. They are action verbs.
    The wolf ran across the sand. Sit down.
    The dog barked at the man.
    Answer:
    The verbs in the sentences are ran, sit, and barked. All three verbs are action verbs since they show action. Action verbs are the most common verbs.

Lesson 2

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Find the verbs in these sentences. These verbs will be state of being verbs.
    My uncle is a pilot.
    The pie looks good.
    You seem upset.
    Answer:
    The verbs in the sentences are is, looks, and seem. These verbs are state of being or linking verbs. Some common linking verbs are is, am, are, was, were, be,
    being, been, seem, look, feel, and become. They do not show action. They just show that something exists.

Lesson 3

Parts of Speech - Verbs
    Pick out the verbs in these sentences and tell whether they are action verbs or linking verbs.
    Suddenly someone sneezed loudly.
    There are holes in my shirt.
    He appears happy.
    The image appeared in the mirror.
    Answer:
    The verbs are sneezed, are, appears, and appeared. Sneezed and appeared are action verbs. Are and appears are linking or state of being verbs. Some verbs like appear can be either action or linking verbs. It depends on whether it shows action or not. Appears above is like saying seems which shows no action while appeared above shows the action of the image.

Lesson 4

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Sometimes a verb can be more than one word. When a verb is more than one word, it is called a verb phrase. Verb phrases can be two, three, or four words. Verb phrases are made by using auxiliary or helping verbs. What are the verb phrases in these sentences?
    You are going to Seattle.
    You have been resting too much.
    We must be early.
    I will be finished shortly.
    Answer:
    The verb phrases are are going, have been resting, must be, and will be finished. These sentences all have what are called auxiliary or helping verbs. I will refer to them as helping verbs. There are twenty-three (23) helping verbs that should be memorized since they are used so often. If you will memorize them, it will make knowing and understanding verbs much easier. They are usually grouped in the following five groups:
    Group 1: is, am, are, was, were, be, being, been
    Group 2: has, have, had
    Group 3: do, does, did
    Group 4: shall, will, should, would
    Group 5: may, might, must, can, could

3. vista

vista New IL'ite

Lesson 5

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Some of the helping verbs can be used alone as the main verb. Is, am, are, was, and were can be used alone as linking or state of being verbs. Has, have, had, do, does, and did always show action when used alone. Be, being, and been can be

used with other verbs either to show action or state of being. The other helping verbs cannot be used alone but only as helping verbs.
    Find the verb or verb phrases in these sentences.

She has too many friends.
    You do beautiful work.
    I was in Canada last week.
    You are being very stubborn.

Answer:
    The verb and verb phrases were has, do, was, and are being. Has and do are action verbs, and was and are being are state of being verbs.

Quiz for Lessons 1-5

List the verbs or verb phrases in the sentences, and tell whether they are action verbs or state of being verbs. For extra credit, find the helping verbs.
    [/b]
    1. Jim plays basketball.
    2. They will return on the airplane.
    3. Badger is a funny dog.
    4. I have been here a long time.
    5. I should have been playing the drum.
    6. Go home.

Answers:
    1. plays - action
    2. will return - action
    3. is - linking or state of being
    4. have been - state of being
    5. should have been playing - action
    6. go - action

The helping verbs are will, have, should, have, and been. The been in sentence 4 is not a helping verb because it is the main verb. The last verb in a verb phrase is always the main verb.

4. vista

vista New IL'ite

DAILY GRAMMAR

Lesson 6

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Pick out the verb phrases in the following sentences. Watch for the helping verbs.
    I can understand his concern.
    She must have told you ten times.
    We shall go tomorrow.
    The wind was howling all night.

Answer:
    Can understand, must have told, shall go, and was howling are the verb phrases.

Lesson 7

Parts of Speech - Verbs
    The use of helping verbs causes certain changes in verb phrases that we need to be able to recognize. One change is the use of contractions. List the contractions in the following sentences.
    I've done it again.
    You aren't going with us.
    She's staying to tend the kids.

Answer:
    I’ve, aren’t, and she’s are contractions.
    As mentioned before, it’s a good idea to memorize the helping verbs. If you haven’t memorized them, take a few minutes to learn them.
    Group 1: is, am, are, was, were, be, being, been
    Group 2: has, have, had
    Group 3: do, does, did
    Group 4: shall, will, should, would
    Group 5: may, might, must, can, could

Lesson 8

Parts of Speech - Verbs

A helping verb may be connected with another word in a contracted form. The following sentences have verb phrases using contractions. Find the verb phrases in each sentence. Determine if the verb phases are action verbs or state of being verbs.
    I've done it again.
    You aren't going with us.
    She's staying to tend the kids.

Answer:
    The verb phrases are 've (have) done, are going, and 's (is) staying. Have and is are in contracted form. Are is connected to the contracted form of not. All three verb phrases are action verbs.

Lesson 9

Parts of Speech - Verbs

In sentences that are questions, the verb phrase is often separated by another word. Find the verb phrases in these sentences. Be sure to watch for another word separating the helping verb from the main verb.
    Have you been driving long?
    Where was the car parked?
    Can I be of assistance?

Answer:
    The verb phrases in the sentences are have been driving, was parked, and can be. The words separating the verb phrases are nouns and pronouns. This is very common in sentences that are questions. The first two verbs are action verbs, and the last verb is a state of being verb.

Lesson 10

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Sometimes verb phrases are separated by words called adverbs. We will learn more about adverbs in later lessons. They are used often with verbs; however, they are not considered part of the verb phrase. What are the verb phrases in the three sentences? Are the verbs action verbs or state of being verbs?
    You have not helped your father today.
    I will soon be home.
    The child had suddenly choked on the food.

Answer:
    The verb phrases are have helped, will be, and had choked. The first and third sentences are action verbs, and the second sentence a state of being verb.

Quiz:
    List the verb phrases in the following sentences.
    1. My wife is reading in the hammock under the tree.
    2. The message can't be altered.
    3. Somewhere a party is being planned.
    4. Shouldn't I be a clown for Halloween?
    5. I've run out of time.
    Now write down as many of the twenty-three helping verbs as you can.

Answer:
    The verb phrases are is reading, can be altered, is being planned, should be, and 've (have) run.
    The twenty-three helping verbs are is, am, are, was, were, be, being, been, have, has, had, do, does, did, shall, will, should, would, may, might, must, can, and could.

5. vista

vista New IL'ite

DAILY GRAMMAR

Lesson 11

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Not and its contracted form n't are never part of the verb. Pick out the verb phrases in these sentences.
    The game will not be finished for another hour.
    The horse shouldn't have been worked so much.
    Wouldn't you give me another chance?

Answer:

The verb phrases are will be finished, should have been worked, and would give. Not and n't are not part of the verb phrase. Verb phrases can have one, two or three helping verbs in them.

Lesson 12

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Verb phrases with two or more helping verbs always keep a definite order. Most helping verbs can combine with other helping verbs but will not combine with all of them. Look at the examples below which are good combinations.
    is being said, has been said, will be said, could have been said, may have said, had been said.

Now arrange the following helping verbs with the word in parentheses into a verb phrase. One of the helping verbs will not combine and must be left out.
    Example: was, have, may (gone) = may have gone - was will not combine in this group.

1. am, will, being (fired)
    2. been, could, does, have (learning)
    3. might, do, have, been (sleeping)
    4. must, were, be (discovered)
    5. be, has, should (sold)

Answer:

1. am being fired
    2. could have been learning
    3. might have been sleeping
    4. must be discovered
    5. should be sold

Lesson 13

Parts of Speech - Verbs

We can change the form of a verb. (These changes in form are used in conjugations. We will talk about conjugations in later lessons.) For example, a verb can have an s added to it as in eat, eats or run, runs. Other changes could be eating, ate, or eaten for the verb eat. Run could be changed to running, or ran. Irregular verbs which we will cover later have several confusing changes.
    Find the verb or verb phrases in these sentences.
    Take note of the different verb forms for come and sent.

I am coming in the morning.
    I came as soon as possible.
    She comes by every day.
    Send me the package in the mail.
    The new part was sent to me.
    I am sending Jeff with the neighbors.

Answer:

The answers are am coming, came, comes, send, was sent, and am sending.

Lesson 14

Parts of Speech - Verbs

In this lesson pick out only the helping verbs used in the verb phrases.

1. He should have tried again.
    2. The dog had suddenly come into the yard.
    3. Has anyone taken out the trash?
    4. Could they have been pointing at our car?
    5. She's hoping for a call from her sister.

Answer:
    1. should have
    2. had
    3. has
    4. could have been
    5. 's (is)

Lesson 15

Parts of Speech - Verbs

Let's look at some sentences to review what we have learned. Remember that verbs either show action or state of being. Using helping verbs, we make verb phrases. Verb phrases may be separated by other words. Verb phrases follow a definite order and change form. Find the verb phrases and tell what kind of verbs they are.

I can understand your concern.
    Is Mrs. Johanson going with you?
    The rooms cannot be held any longer.
    I haven't seen him for an hour.

Answer:

The answers are the following:
    can understand - action
    is going - action
    can be held - action
    have seen - action

Quiz Lessons 1-15

Answer each question true or false.

1. Verbs never change form.
    2. A verb is never just one word.
    3. Verb phrases keep a definite order.
    4. There are twenty-three helping verbs.
    5. Helping verbs cannot be the main verb.
    6. Helping verbs can be action verbs.
    7. Verb phrases can have three helping verbs.
    8, Verbs can be in contracted form.
    9. State of being verbs show action.
    10. Verbs are the most important words in a sentence.

Answers:
    1. false (lesson 13)
    2. false (lesson 4)
    3. true (lesson 12)
    4. true (lesson 4)
    5. false (lesson 5)
    6. true (lesson 5)
    7. true (lesson 4)
    8. true (lesson 8)
    9. false (lesson 1)
    10. true (lesson 1)

6. vista

vista New IL'ite

DAILY GRAMMAR

Lesson 16

Parts of Speech - Nouns

A noun is a word that names a person, place or thing. It also one of the eight parts of speech. Examples: man, city, book, courage. Nouns often follow words like a, an, and the.

Pick out all the nouns in these sentences.

1. The teacher told the student that a person should always be loyal.
    2. People with perseverance will be successful in life.
    3. I bought a new pen at the drugstore across the street.
    4. The man said to the policeman that he had not seen the accident.

Answers
    1. teacher, student, person.
    2. people, perseverance, life.
    3. pen, drugstore, street.
    4. man, policeman, accident

Lesson 17

Parts of Speech - Nouns

Nouns can be singular as in lesson 16 or be plural in form. Plural means two or more. Plurals are formed by adding s, es, changing y to i and adding es, and with changes in spelling as in man becoming men. Examples: car, cars; fox, foxes; baby, babies, man, men.

Find the nouns in the following sentences. Some are plurals and some are not.

1. Computers are making work easier for secretaries.
    2. Children always require great energies from parents.
    3. Labors on farms take great effort by workers.
    4. Alaina doesn't like puzzles or mathematics.

Answers
    1. Computers, work, secretaries.
    2. Children, energies, parents.
    3. Labors, farms, effort, workers.
    4. Alaina, puzzles, mathematics.

Lesson 18

Parts of Speech - Nouns

Nouns are classified into two general classifications, proper and common. Proper nouns name a special person, place or thing and begin with capital letters. All other nouns begin with small letters and are common nouns.
    Common nouns city, man, boat, and radio could be changed to the proper nouns Salt Lake City, Mr. Jones, Santa Maria, and Motorola.
    Pick out the nouns in these sentences and tell if they are common or proper.

1. Becky went with her sisters to Lagoon on Friday.
    2. My youngest son is in Brazil until September.
    3. Mr. Smith works with his wife in American Fork.
    4. Love could bring marriage to Mark and Terri.

Answers
    1. Becky, Lagoon, Friday - proper nouns; sisters - common noun
    2. Brazil and September - proper nouns; son - common noun
    3. Mr. Smith and American Fork - proper nouns; wife - common noun
    4. Mark and Terri - proper nouns; love and marriage - common nouns (love is capitalized because it begins the sentence.

Lesson 19

Parts of Speech - Nouns

Nouns can also be classified in specific ways. Concrete nouns, abstract nouns, and compound nouns are three such ways. Concrete nouns name things that exist physically as sidewalk, bird, toy, hair and rain. Abstract nouns name ideas, characteristics, or qualities as courage, pride, goodness and success. Compound nouns are made up of more than one word as dining room, Bill of Rights, Jeff Hansen, and home run.
    In the following sentences find the nouns and classify them as concrete, abstract or compound.

1. People like to see a home run hit over the wall.
    2. My daughter works for the post office in Salt Lake City.
    3. Rhode Island is a success although smaller than Texas.
    4. Respect must be earned, but honesty should always be our policy.

Answers
    1. People and wall are concrete nouns. Home run is a compound noun.
    2. Daughter is a concrete noun while post office and Salt Lake City are compound nouns.
    3. Rhode Island is compound; success is abstract; Texas is concrete.
    4. Respect, honesty and policy abstract nouns. Compound nouns can also be concrete or abstract.

Lesson 20

Parts of Speech - Nouns

Three other specific classifications for nouns are collective nouns, count nouns and mass nouns. Collective
    nouns name groups as team, class and choir. Count nouns can be counted as one boy, six sheep and many days. You can use a, an, many or a number before it. Mass nouns are not countable as gasoline, water or dirt.
    Find the nouns in these sentences and classify them as collective nouns, count nouns or mass nouns.

1. Get some gasoline, or the class will be late arriving.
    2. The alien group should come by bus soon.
    3. The orchestra will be playing in the arena in the evening.
    4. The water at the beach was covered with oil.

Answers
    1. gasoline - mass; class - collective
    2. group - collective; bus - count
    3. orchestra - collective; arena and evening - count
    4. water and oil - mass; beach - count

Quiz - Lessons 16-20

Pick out the nouns in the following sentences and tell whether they are common or proper.

1. Mrs. Mills told the officer at the post office to weigh the package.
    2. The principal at the school held Eric after the bell.
    3. Sheep and horses eat grass shorter than cattle.
    4. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are important to Americans.
    5. War is a terrible thing that all nations should work to stop.

Answers
    1. Mrs. Mills - proper; officer, post office, package - common.
    2. Eric - proper; principal, school, bell - common
    3. Sheep, horses, grass, cattle - common
    4. Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Americans - proper
    5. War, thing, nations - common

7. vista

vista New IL'ite

DAILY GRAMMAR - PRONOUNS

Lesson 21

Pronouns

A pronoun is a word that replaces a noun or a group of words used as a noun. Pronouns are classified in five (5) different categories. They are personal pronouns, relative pronouns, demonstrative pronouns, indefinite pronouns, and interrogative pronouns. Some pronouns can appear in more than one classification. How the pronoun is used in the sentence determines its classification. In the next two weeks we will study the five kinds of pronouns.

Personal pronouns refer to

(1) the speaker or speakers, which is called first person, and include the following pronouns: I, my, mine, me, myself, we, our, ours, us, ourselves;

(2) those spoken to, which is called second person, and include the following pronouns: you, your, yours, yourself, yourselves; or

(3) those spoken about, which is called third person, and includes the following pronouns: he, his, him, himself, she, her, hers, herself, it, its, itself, they, their, theirs, them, themselves. Personal pronouns can be singular (one) or plural (two or more) just as verbs and nouns.

Find the personal pronouns in these sentences.

1. She hit him on his head.
    2. I saw you at your store.
    3. He himself will be our new friend.
    4. It will be hard for me to see you.
    5. They always get angry at her and me.

Answers

1. She, him, his
    2. I, you, your
    3. He, himself, our
    4. It, me, you
    5. They, her, me

8. vista

vista New IL'ite

Lesson 22

Pronouns

The word for which the pronoun stands is called its antecedent. It may be in the same sentence, in a previous sentence, or not given at all. An example would be The boy threw the football. He threw it over the fence. Boy is the antecedent for he, and football is the antecedent for it. A pronoun can be an antecedent for another pronoun. He likes his new car. He is the antecedent for his. The antecedent always comes before the pronoun for which it is the antecedent.

Pick out the pronouns and their antecedents in these sentences.

1. He ran after his dad.
    2. Jennie wanted her doll for bedtime.
    3. The rabbit hopped into its hole.
    4. They will help you with your work themselves.
    5. The teacher gave us homework everyday, and she made our lives miserable.

Answers

1. He is the antecedent for his.
    2. Jennie is the antecedent for her.
    3. Rabbit is the antecedent for its.
    4. They is the antecedent for themselves, and you is the antecedent for your.
    5. Teacher is the antecedent for she, and us is the antecedent for our.

9. vista

vista New IL'ite

Lesson 23

Pronouns

Some personal pronouns are called possessives because they show whose something is. They are the following pronouns: my, mine, your, yours, his, her, hers, its, our, ours, their, and theirs. An example would be The money is mine. Mine tells whose money it is.

Find the possessive pronouns in the following sentences.

1. The new car is his.
    2. Yours will be here tomorrow.
    3. I like theirs best.
    4. Should we go for a ride in his or hers.

Answers

1. his
    2. yours
    3. theirs
    4. his, hers

10. vista

vista New IL'ite

Lesson 24

Pronouns

The personal pronouns myself, yourself, yourselves, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, and themselves are compound personal pronouns combining the personal pronoun with self or selves. They are used as reflexive pronouns . Carl hurt himself is an example of a reflexive pronoun.

Find the reflexive pronouns in these sentences.

1. I should understand myself better.
    2. Ann bought herself two new hamsters.
    3. They can't help themselves.
    4. The boy cut himself on the broken glass.

Answers

1. myself
    2. herself
    3. themselves
    4. himself