Help to make soft idlis

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by drmeenu, Apr 18, 2011.

1. drmeenu

drmeenu Junior IL'ite

Hello friends,

I'm not able to prepare soft idlis for reason unknown. I'm using ultra grinder and the proportion is 4:1 of par boiled rice: urad dhal and a little poha and methi seeds. The idlis I make become somewhat hard( like hard boiled egg):drowning I sthe proportion right?
    Also I do have a doubt abt the my idli pathram. It is a stainless steel one and it is shorter not the traditional taller one. Will this be a reason. I don't know:confused2: Help me please.....

2. radhi4ru

radhi4ru Senior IL'ite

Hi!

The proportion that u are using is correct .Even without adding poha n methi also u can get soft idlis.Try to soak Par boiled rice for more time.Dont grind the batter too soft.Eat idlis as soon as u prepare..It's not the problem with stainless steel idli pathra.Greese the plates well with oil.

3. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Hi there,
    Try to use 3:1 proportion of parboiled rice and urad dhal.No need of methi seeds and poha.Soak them in separate vessels and grind them separately.No need to grease the plates with oil.Just pour the batter in idli plates and steam them for 10 minutes.After taking the plates out of the vessel sprikle cold water over the idli plates so that the idlies won't stick to the plates.Don't use the batter directly from the refrigerator.Add salt and let the batter be kept outside at least for 8 to 10 hours and let it rise.Then you can use them.

4. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

I too use 3:1 ratio it was working good.i wont add poha or methy seeds.

I grind well completely.Please soak the paraboiled rice for 5 to 8 hours.Thats must.

try 4:2 ratio or 3:1.it may work out.this ratio makes the dosa super crisy without oil and very soft idlies.:thumbsup

5. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

I will tell you the procedure that I follow (this I learnt from my mom):

1. Rice and Urad dhal proportion is 4:1
    2. Urad dhal should be soaked for 45 minutes only
    3. Rice for atleast 3 hours
    4. First grind urad dhal. When doing so, water should not be poured and should only be sprinkled.
    5. Then take it out and store in a vessel (closed)
    6. Then grind rice (no need to wash off the grinder drum completely, traces of urad dhal can remain in it). Water can be poured for grinding.
    7. When the rice is ground well, add the urad dhal batter and add salt as well. Let the grinder run for a minute or two.
    8. The consistency of the batter showed be in such a way that it should flow well (this is very important for the softness of the idlies).
    9. Take out the batter and store it in a vessel at room temperature overnight.
    10. In the morning soft idlies will be ready to eat.

6. drmeenu

drmeenu Junior IL'ite

Hello friends,

I'm overwhelmed by all your replies and tips. Thank you so much. I will try to prepare the batter without methi and poha next time.

What type of parboiled rice do you use? I get only HMT parboiled rice over here. Also I use whole white urad dahl. Is that okay? I ask too much of questions b'cos I've tried with almost all proportions and ended up with either hard idlis or idlis which are like paste:bonk. Kindly bear with me and help me.

7. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

I use the idli rice that is available in the Indian Supermarket in my place. And, I too use the whole white urad dhal. Only these 2 ingredients. No methi or poha or baking soda.

You may find the following links useful and interesting:

Idli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. drmeenu

drmeenu Junior IL'ite

Thank you PRSS for the instant reply and the links. The idlis in the wikipedia are mouthwatering:drool:)thank you so much/

9. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

HI this is my Idly preparation steps and i get soft idlys everytime...

4:1 1/2 proportion...Idly rice and whole urad dal...it comes good with par boiled rice too
    1/4 Sp fenugreek seed
    Soak for 7 to 8 hrs rice and urad dal separately
    First graind the urad dal for 15 to 20 min
    Then rice for 20min
    Keep the batter in warm place for one whole night and a day...as im in little colder place..but if you are in india one whole night is enough..
    After fermentaion i use the batter first for idly as the top batter will give softness to idly than the bottom batter..
    im using stainless steel for making idly and thay come out well...grease the plate with oil..

10. drmeenu

drmeenu Junior IL'ite

Thank you Cindrella for your tips!