Help regarding decision to apply for PR in UK

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by Anujaya2009, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Anujaya2009

Anujaya2009 New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

We are in the process of packing things and moving to India. Now the problem is my husband has stayed in this country for 5 yrs and now he is eligible for PR in UK.

We are in sort of dilemma as to whether we should apply for PR or not.

Reason for this is;
    - My husband has been out of India from past 9 yrs, did his Phd from germany and then post doc from Cambridge, so he really doesn't know the working culture in indian uinversities and research institutions.
    - We are going to japan from oct2010- dec 2010, but he would be paid by cambridge university. will he be considered to be out of country for that period.
    - he will be joining job in india from 1st week of aPRIL.
    - If he applies in jan 2011 in person, is there a possibility that he will get it by mar 2011.

Honestly speaking, we are little skeptic that if things dont turn ok in India, then we would have something to back on.

I know this mail is very long, but friends please help me out. The decision to go to India was taken largely because of me because I have been unable to get a job here.

Hope you all have a great day,

Many thanks,
    Anu

2. deepa90

deepa90 New IL'ite

hello anujaya2009, I sympathise with your situation, the recession in the west has caught a lot of Indian immigrant families out.

You say that your family want to return to India because you are unable to find a job here in the UK. The bad news is that the extremely tough job market is likely to remain for the next few years. I study economics at southampton university, and from what I have heard the impending severe government spending cuts ( you may know about these) will significantly increase unemployment and lower growth in the short term at least. For the next 10 years economic growth will likely be 1.5-2.0% per year here. On the other hand this compares to Indian economic growth of 9+% predicted over the same period.

It is most likely when I graduate I will return to India, because I have heard for the sectors I want to work in here in Britain, there are sometimes more than 150 applications for each new position so I think it unlikely I will get a job.

On the other hand if you have trouble adjusting to Indian culture again, you could look at moving to other Western countries. Australia and Canada have significantly better economies at the moment than those of the UK or the USA, so it might be worth giving those a go.

3. Anujaya2009

Anujaya2009 New IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

Great to hear from you..Dont worry..by the time you will graduate, things would turn fine.

The problem with me is the career break is not seen in a very positive light in indian working culture. And by the time I would be returning it would be like 3 years. Though with MBA Finance, I have cleared level 1 of CFA, I am quite skeptical of my chances of getting a job.

It would be helpful to learn from someone who is in the similar situation like me in relation to PR...

Many Thanks,
    Anu