Help Others Win

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by DURGA RAVI, Oct 12, 2005.

1. DURGA RAVI

DURGA RAVI New IL'ite

Help others win

Life is full of competitions today. In the name of coping with the competitive world around, we are trying to compete in everything and for everything.

Our children are becoming victims of our desires of competitions and comparisons.

Agreed, life without the spirit of competitions will be like a mouthwatering dish served sans salt. But our over-enthusiasm to win the competitions make us too selfish. we forget the real spirit of competitions.

If the same trend continues, it would be dangerous not only for us but also for our children. The true spirit of competition should not only be winning for ourselves but also helping others to win.

Let me share with you what I have read recently: a few weeks ago NIMH 9National Institute of Mentally Handicapped, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Hyderabad</st1:place></st1:City>, Andhra Pradesh) had conducted a sports meet for all the physically and mentally handicapped children at National Stadium Hyderabad.

In one race, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100 yard dash. At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win.

All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry. The other eight heard the boy cry. they slowed down and looked back.

Then they all turned around and went back…every one of them. One girl with Downs Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, “This will make it better.” Then all the nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Every one in the stadium stood, and the cheering went on for several muinutes. People who were there are still telling the story. Why?

Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.

If you pass this on, we may be able to change our hearts as well as someone else’s. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

Food for thought, indeed!

G.V.K.Durga Ravi

<st1:City><st1:place>MUSCAT</st1:place></st1:City>.

SULTANTATE OF <st1:country-region><st1:place>OMAN</st1:place></st1:country-region>

2. roja

roja Junior IL'ite

True - a food for thought!

Nice post...true that it's a food for thought.

We need to think of competitions to be handled in a healthy way. There should not be any greediness, jealousy or cunningness creeping into any kind of competitions.

More than winning, it is the team spirit that should be taught to our children by competitions.

Moreover, I have always heard, the special people who are physically challenged are very capable of handing such things in the right spirit. The story of those 9 children was awesome and conveys the message very nicely - help others win!

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A Very Touching One, Durga!

Though I have read the story several times, I was moved and touched when I read it again through you. At the end of the day it makes you wonder who is really handicapped, the ones who touched the finish-line holding each others hands or the ones who were in the stadium and in the rest of the world! It is a nice thought for us to carry along during the week-end.
    regards,
    sridhar

4. DURGA RAVI

DURGA RAVI New IL'ite

Thanks Giving

Thank you very much dear seniour memebrs, Roja and Varoloti for your comments on my article "Hlep others win". Your comments indeed has boosted my enthu to pen down few more artilces for Indus Ladies forum. Thanks again,

regds,
    DURGA RAVI